Group Hunting

kcbullets

Group Hunting

Post by kcbullets » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Just curious how you like your dog to hunt when hunting in groups of maybe 4-6 hunters. I personally would prefer mine to hunt with or close to me. However, sometimes that seems difficult to accomplish unless you really micro manage your dog. I am curious what others do and if there are any tricks to keeping your dog closer to you, rather than 3 hunters over while in heavy crp cover... its too hard to track your dog in that type of cover ensuring it don't get out too far a head. Any tips, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott Linden

Re: Group Hunting

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:55 pm

You don't say whether it's a flusher or pointing breed. If it's a flusher, a group hunt is the wrong time to train it to work close to you ... without a lot of micro managing, as you say. Lots of temptation with a big group; he should already know to work close to you before you put him on the ground in a group situation.

Pointing dogs, different story. Are there other dogs on the ground? If so, a lot harder to do. You might just accept that your dog is working for everyone and hopefully everyone else's dog is working for everyone too. What's wrong with that? If he's the solo dog, as long as he's steady on point, how about letting everyone get some of the benefit of his work? If it's not steady, especially in thick cover, it might be prudent to leave him in the truck.

He might work better for everyone if you're in the middle of the group as they are arrayed across the field. While working for you, he might extend his range to the far sides of the group.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Scott nailed it as far as I am concerned.

Ezzy

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:23 pm

I expect my spaniels to cover ground for three hunters (2 plus me in the middle). Mostly because that's how I've done patterning training with two helpers so that's what the dogs know.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:28 am

My husband had Viking out the other day with 3 other guys. She worked for all. She was bringing a bird back to my husband when she heard the others shooting. She threw the bird at Daryl and then went off to help the others. With 4 people keeping track of her it worked well. Viking would point and whomever was closest would go work the bird.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:05 am

Thank you folks. I appreciate it. Sorry for not mentioning but mine is a GSP. She will hold point so that is not a problem. Historically, all my pointing dogs have hunted for the group and I don't mind. I have the attitude of the dog is bred to hunt so let it. However, I was curious if most hunters wanted or had dogs that stayed closer to the owner, or allowed what I am accustomed to. Was just curious on what other hunters/groups liked/disliked. Sounds like I am in the norm. Any additional is appreciated. I enjoy reading and learning from others.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:40 pm

You are as normal as the rest of us ... which is to say, um, dog crazy. Trust the dog.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:47 am

My problem with a group of hunters and a big running dog is if the dog gets scent and heads off after it I can tell when she is onto something and I follow her. My hunting partners just don't watch the dog enough even when I tell them to watch the dogs lead. She has the nose. They may learn some day but usually I am to the dog first and when I am in position to flush they had better be close or I am kicking bushes.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:48 pm

kcbullets wrote:Just curious how you like your dog to hunt when hunting in groups of maybe 4-6 hunters. I personally would prefer mine to hunt with or close to me. However, sometimes that seems difficult to accomplish unless you really micro manage your dog. I am curious what others do and if there are any tricks to keeping your dog closer to you, rather than 3 hunters over while in heavy crp cover... its too hard to track your dog in that type of cover ensuring it don't get out too far a head. Any tips, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't like more than one other hunter afield but many do find the group hug thing workable.
Probably is efficient for some birds...you do not mention the bird species of the day....pheasants, I would guess.

I prefer my dog not be close to me...he should be close to the birds.
But, I would most worry about the dog in a larger group of shooters on a day when warmer temperatures combined with a dog ranging down a skirmish line of hunters could spell a bit of extra exertion for pup.
However, with the hunter numbers you mention, I would bell up pup....maybe even the other soldiers in the line.
Quiet is out the door during a military campaign in set-aside.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Yes I was referring to hunting pheasants. Regardless of location, Kansas or South Dakota, some of the CRP fields and cover is heavy enough to make difficult to keep track of the dog. I actually do know where my dog is because i started using a gps tracker. I guess my point was that when she is hunting around me, I can manage her and keep her from getting too far ahead. But if she is hunting in front of another hunter that may be 30 yards to my left or right, and also in heavy cover, then it is more difficult to keep her reigned in when there is a lot of bird scent. As jumpy as birds are sometimes, seems more often than not, I hate to have a dog too far ahead. I realize I could just not hunt her in the groups, but I want to get her bird experience too. No experience while laying in the dog box. I've concluded that when hunting in a group, let her go and try to ensure the other hunters are paying attention to her. The gps provides you with interesting information. First, I like the ability to ensure she is not on point, when you may be calling her in. Then also when calling her in, sometimes you can tell the dog is actually trying to locate you. Before I assumed that the dog always knew where you was, and if called they could always here you. I now don't think that is the case. None the less, really enjoy gettin the dog work and getting her in to birds.. Also enjoy hearing others perspective on this sight. Thanks

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:40 am

I hunt here in Kansas and also with a group. We have 3 dogs GSP and my EP. This a team effort. We all keep track of the dogs and it seams to work out. We are all on the same page when it comes watching out for the dogs. Good luck

Pheasanttracker

Group Hunting

Post by Pheasanttracker » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:09 am

I hunt in Pa normally with 2 or three other folks. I have a 16 month Pudelpointer that will just hunt for me. No real roaming but she she hunts close anyway due to thick cover we hunt. She will retrieve if someone else shoots a pheasant but only brings it back to me. I should point out some of the others will occasionally bring dogs who hunt across the group.