Color Question

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Color Question

Post by cjhills » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:16 pm

If Two solid liver dogs, both of which produce about half solid pups when bred with a liver and white dogs and both have one liver and white parent, were bred together what would one expect for color.............................Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Color Question

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:09 pm

This sounds like some of the math questions I help kids with. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:55 pm

3 solid to 1 broken, however you never het what you expect.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:13 am

Sharon wrote:This sounds like some of the math questions I help kids with. :)
Sorry, But there are a lot of people on here who are experts on color genes. I thought it was a good question and hoped for at east a hypothetical answer.........................Cj

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:32 am

This one really helped me

by ACooper » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:31 pm

oilcan wrote:Thanks for the Reply clear as Mud now. LOL

The easiest answer to your original question would have been with a solid stud and non solid dam, in "theory" the most likely outcome would be 25% solid 75% non solid, but you never actually know until it happens. 

But, let me see if I can clarify the other info. So in GSPs we have Black and Liver. The Alleles for a black dog could be BB or Bb. However the alleles for a liver dog are bb. So a BB dog can only produce black (homozygous), where as a Bb dog is black but can also produce liver (not homozygous for black). Liver is represented by bb, two liver GSPs cannot produce a black pup, only when at least one parent is black can a black be produced. 

The solid gene is very similar. SS being homozygous for solid, Ss being solid but able to produce non solids (not homozygous), non solids are represented as ss. So just the same as black one parent has to be solid for a solid pup to be produced. 

This is a very basic breakdown and there are many other factors that go into ticking and patching etc. 

BBSS is solid black homozygous for both.
BbSS is solid black homozygous for solid
BBSs is solid black homozygous for black 
BbSs is solid black and homozygous for neither
BBss is homozygous for black but is not solid 
Bbss is non solid black and not homozygous for either 
bbSS is solid liver and homozygous for solid
bbSs is solid liver not homozygous for solid
bbss is a non solid liver dog that is not homozygous.

I hope this might clarify a little more? Maybe not? Please ask away, it also helps me to be able to work through the possibilities. 

Here is a really good link, I should have saved my typing and just included this!http://www.dogstuff.info/mating_outcomes_gsp_byrne.html

Last edited by ACooper on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACooper 3427 Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:37 am Sometimes I'm in Oklahoma

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:30 pm

cjhills wrote:
Sorry, But there are a lot of people on here who are experts on color genes. I thought it was a good question and hoped for at east a hypothetical answer.........................Cj
Very sorry if I offended you. Trying to be funny. Sorry.

(If you got that great answer in July, - and it is a great answer - why did you post the question again? Sorry but.....:) )

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Sharon wrote:
cjhills wrote:
Very sorry if I offended you. Trying to be funny. Sorry.

(If you got that great answer in July, - and it is a great answer - why did you post the question again? Sorry but.....:) )
I do not remember asking the question in July, but my memory is not what it once was.
So my dogs are both bbSs what should I percentage of solid should I expect....................Cj

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:54 pm

75% solid
25% ticked
In the perfect world
25% SS solid
50% Ss solid
25% ss ticked
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Not an expert

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:09 pm

You can figure the odds out with a Punnett square. Explained here http://www.exploringnature.org/db/detai ... 2&detID=55.

But remember that the squares show the possibilities for *each* pup. Depending on how the genes roll, you could wind up with all solids or all white/liver or any mix of the two.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.............................Cj

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:32 am

Does this mean you're planning on putting two solid liver dogs together soon? :D If so, when do you expect itll happen?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:34 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Does this mean you're planning on putting two solid liver dogs together soon? :D If so, when do you expect itll happen?
When the bitch is in the mood. Soon, probably by mid January I hope. I am really looking for a suitable liver and white, patched and heavily ticked male with either MH,NAVHDA or NSTRA titles, preferably within close enough driving distance to do a natural breeding. and stud fee around a grand or less. Mn, Iowa , WISC,ND or SD. Very good conformation a must and prefer Excellent OFA. Any one with a dog like that Send me a PM .................Cj