first wild quail

oldbeek

first wild quail

Post by oldbeek » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:22 am

Pup is coming along. I am working on hold till shot but the temptation to hunt her on wild quail was just to much today. We found a large covey near town. They flushed out on her first point. They flew towards town and she gave chase. Let her chase so she will learn (some day) that she can't catch them. After the chase I called her back and she pointed 2 different singles at about 6 ft out. On each bird she held great as I cautioned her to hold and kicked the bird out. I shot and yelled fetch. Don't think she held till drop but I am 73 and I don't have to many seasons left. I know I am screwing up but watching her work wild birds is such a pleasure.

nevermind

Re: first wild quail

Post by nevermind » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:52 am

My hat's off to you .... 73 years young and getting out there enjoying your dog.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:00 am

A few of us do not have many seasons left...I think it's great that you are enjoying your dog having fun with you and the birds!
I can't see it being about anything else...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:34 am

Nobody is screwing up if they are getting what they want out of it. You want to take a pointer and pull it in to make a flusher? Your business, go for it!

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Your pup pointed and held birds, allowing you to walk up and flush the birds yourself. How on earth is that screwing up - many folks pay $$$ to trainers just to get that far. Enjoy! Btw, what breed?