dead young pigeon

CCBIRDDOGMAN

dead young pigeon

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:09 am

I had two young birds that were looking real good & healthy like the rest of my birds but all of a sudden, one of them looked real weak when I went to feed them, it's chest / breast seemed real thin. I hadn't been watching them real close so I wonder if he wasn't eating and Mom & Dad quit feeding him and he starved? He was about 5 weeks old and had been flying down out of the nest for over a week but I had not let them out to fly yet. Anything I need to be watching out for? All I have done is keep the coop clean, fresh water everyday and I have given then Ivomec in their water a couple of times. Should I be worried about disease or you think he just starved himself?

BellaSpinone

Re: dead young pigeon

Post by BellaSpinone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Yes

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:33 pm

I'd worry about disease until you can prove otherwise.

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:55 pm

Sorry, starved. Is the feeder on the floor where they do not need to fly for food and water?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:02 pm

It could be a disease but wouldn't worry about it to much. I would watch the birds closely and especially the droppings and if you see bird hunkered down as though they are not feelin good or if you have watery droppings I would put them on some Terramycin for 4 or 5 days and see if that doesn't clear things up

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:43 pm

I'd probably not worry much unless more die. Its a pigeon. They die. You're overthinking it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:04 pm

I had 2 ducks in a pen . One was acting sickly and I couldn't understand why. Other one was very healthy. Watched for a few days and realized the one duck was not allowing the other duck to eat. Put them both in their own pen and the sickly duck revived. I don't know if this only happens if you have 2 , or if having more in a pen keeps this from happening. I'm not much of a farmer.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks y'all I have heard this can happen. And yes food & water is on the floor.

And yes, it's a pigeon and pigeons die but I don't think asking for opinions from experienced people that have raised pigeons for a long time is over thinking it. It's still an animal under my care.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:07 am

CCBIRDDOGMAN wrote:Thanks y'all I have heard this can happen. And yes food & water is on the floor.

And yes, it's a pigeon and pigeons die but I don't think asking for opinions from experienced people that have raised pigeons for a long time is over thinking it. It's still an animal under my care.
Right on.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:18 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I'd probably not worry much unless more die. Its a pigeon. They die. You're overthinking it.
This is not a reflexion on this post but rather just seemed to be a good place to post this bit that shows how value is created by your personal interest many times. There was an live auction of pigeons on the internet yesterday of 122 birds. The cheapest one sold went for 400 and the three highest went for 41010, 46010, and 46000 dollars. Without listing every bird I am guessing the average at 1000 to maybe 1200 dollars. Also the day before yesterday my good friend who I fly with and we have shared birds just won a race in South Africa and won a new car as the prize. That series of races in S. Africa is considered the toughest races in the world because of the terrain as well as the heat and weather conditions. They usually draw about 10000 birds to start the series and the last race in the series has a Million dollar prize list. The birds that I have been selling many of you for dog training are out of these same birds that are producing winners of that caliber and possible a few of them are brothers and sisters of that S. Africa winner and a lot of them are close relatives.

So yes, you are right it is just a pigeon but to many it is a valuble pigeon and that is only determined by where your interest are. No different than someone saying it is just a dog which is probably right unless it is your dog or your pigeon.