concern over rough housing

oilcan

concern over rough housing

Post by oilcan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:59 pm

I have a Male GSP (Neutered) that is almost 2 years old and just brought home a new puppy (female) GSP a little over a week ago.
The Male actually seems to like her he "mouths" her and knocks her around but it is not with the intent to hurt her as he's 50# and could probably kill her if he wanted. At night they lay next to each other and sleep and actually drink out of the same water bowl at the same time with no problems.
The puppy is VERY bold she does not take any crap from him in fact the male is scratched up from head to tail from her coming back at him.

My concern/question is if this continues what are the chances the puppy will be aggressive towards other dogs when she gets older ?

What would be the best way to stop him from being so aggressive with her I don't want her to become timid ?

Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: concern over rough housing

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Don't worry . Let them enjoy each other.

"If this continues what are the chances the puppy will be aggressive towards other dogs when she gets older ?" quote

"If your dog did become aggressive with other dogs when she gets older, it would have nothing to do with rough housing with older canine family members, imo.

( My 1 1/2 year old dog and 9 year old dog go at it daily for fun. When the 9 year old has had enough, she can make that clear. :) The third dog - 14 year old - can not defend herself, and rough housing with her is off limits. I've made that clear to the youngster , and he knows that.)

Hilltop

Post by Hilltop » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:24 am

I have a 8 year old and 3 puppies that are approximately 6 months old along with one that is 2. They all rough rough house each other. In my situation my 8 year once she gets started she is like a kid in the candy store. She carries on like she is going to really hurt one of my other dogs and never does. I believe this is just showing the dogs the peaking order and were everyone fit in to the chain of a command. That being said let the dogs play they learn from it and are just burning of energy.Good luck and enjoy one of the greatest creatures we call are best friends.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:02 pm

My two roughhouse by the hour. And you should see it when my grandson comes over. Knock down, Drag out, Snarling. You'd think they were killing each other. Yet when my little niece shows up all is gentleness and sweetness. As long as they're both having fun and not driving you crazy I wouldn't worry. Dogs will be dogs.

oilcan

Post by oilcan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks for the replys that's very reassuring news that will make my wife happy as the new puppy is " her" dog. LOL

deke

Post by deke » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:26 am

If I don't have to clean blood off the floor more than once a week I start getting concerned that one of them is sick. As long as they aren't trying to actually hurt each other I let them play as rough as they want.