Beeper or no beeper

czeger

Beeper or no beeper

Post by czeger » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:17 am

Will be getting a new collar soon have a sport dog 425 I want something with more range and more levels of stimulation. I have a 1 yr old gsp and looking into getting a beeper what is everyone's opinions on beepers I'm currently looking at the delta upland thank for any opinions

art hubbard

Re: Beeper or no beeper

Post by art hubbard » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:23 am

dogtra 2500 train and beep, can be extened to two collars. have had them for years , they're great, and dogtra has great service.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:50 am

I personally do not like beepers, I prefer a bell. It allows me to know my dogs range, pattern, and speed. When the bell stops I know he is on point.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:04 am

Garmin

Pheasanttracker

Beeper or no beeper

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:57 am

I only run a bell. The beeper seems to drive me nuts

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:14 pm

czeger wrote:Will be getting a new collar soon have a sport dog 425 I want something with more range and more levels of stimulation. I have a 1 yr old gsp and looking into getting a beeper what is everyone's opinions on beepers I'm currently looking at the delta upland thank for any opinions
1 year old puppy and you want more stimulation possibilities....how do you know?

As to a beeper...advised use depends upon the birds you hunt and the cover they are in as a start.
Most will go beep....Garmin and Llovetts are tough to best now that ATS is gone.

Pre-Astro, I preferred a beeper and a bell for ruffed grouse....beeper alone for pheasants.
Not much will not work....often enough.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:13 pm

art hubbard wrote:dogtra 2500 train and beep, can be extened to two collars. have had them for years , they're great, and dogtra has great service.
X2 Several ways of using the beeper on this unit, like every ........seconds or off until you hit the button or .............

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:00 pm

ruffbritt4 wrote:I personally do not like beepers, I prefer a bell. It allows me to know my dogs range, pattern, and speed. When the bell stops I know he is on point.
My hearing isn't the greatest and I had a harder time telling where the beep was coming from. I also thought my dog was a little more jumpy when the beeper was on.

Using a bell seems to result in greater success for me and my dog. I don't know if it is the bird reacting to the beeping or the way I approached the point but the year I ran a beeper instead of a bell things just didn't work out as well. Could have been an off year shooting for me but It is never the dog's fault.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:02 pm

I like the dogtra 2500. I just use the beeper for locating the dog. I don't like using continuous beep setting... seems like sending a message here we come! here we come! when hunting. I wouldn't buy a collar that didn't have a beeper option.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:40 pm

Neil wrote:Garmin
+1. You can live back in the dark ages or get an Astro. A bell quits when you need it the most. A beeper scares birds.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:08 pm

not legally in Canada ; we still have to live in the dark ages. :)

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:32 am

I like the beeper (Dogtra 2500) over the Garmin. i found I would lose contact with the hound using the Garmin but could still hear the beeper.
Once in a great while I blame the beeper for scaring the birds. Who knows, maybe just skittish birds.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:40 am

I don't care for beepers.
They are not much help at distance or on very windy days. They do not provide the safety features for the dog that a Garmin provides and I feel that they damage a dogs hearing over time.

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:04 pm

I prefer a beeper in heavy cover or when running several pups.
Set to only go off while the pups on point... or not moving.