Need advice!

Southern_Point

Need advice!

Post by Southern_Point » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:32 pm

I have a 1.5 yr old setter and this is her first season. Let her hunt by herself first three or four times we went and got to point some quail each time we went. She did really good by herself and held point like she is suppose too. The problem I'm having is I've started hunting her with another dog and when she points a bird and the other dog comes anywhere close to her even when the other dog is pointing the bird with her. She quits pointing and starts hunting or even acts a little scared when another dog points along with her. Any advice on how to fix this or anybody else had this problem?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Need advice!

Post by DonF » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:50 pm

Don't hunt her with another dog yet! Let her get comfortable first!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:26 pm

The other dog isn't "pointing along with her". It's stealing point. That's very unmannerly and puts a ton of pressure on a young dog. Hunt her alone or with dogs that honor.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:04 pm

shags wrote:The other dog isn't "pointing along with her". It's stealing point. That's very unmannerly and puts a ton of pressure on a young dog. Hunt her alone or with dogs that honor.
+1

Southern_Point

Post by Southern_Point » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Thank y'all for your advice this is my first bird dog and thought that's what I should do but wanted to hear from some ppl with experience with bird dogs.