Mendota Skid Plate

jspring011

Mendota Skid Plate

Post by jspring011 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 am

I just bought the Mendota Skid Plate the other night because my shorthair has very little hair on her lower chest/belly and scratches herself up pretty good. My question for anyone has used this skid plate before is how tight should I adjust it around the front strap/armpit area? Should it be pretty snug or should it be a little loose? Trying to prevent it from rubbing and chafing her.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

will-kelly

Re: Mendota Skid Plate

Post by will-kelly » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:03 pm

I tried it on my Vizsla and returned it. I couldn't get it to fit her right and she seemed more beat up by it than without.

First time I had her out I had it to tight and the area under the armpits got very irritated. Next time was to loose and the rear straps seemed to wear the fur off of her sides. I gave up and haven't used one for the last two seasons.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:08 pm

The adjustment you have to be concerned with is the one under her front legs. It it's too tight, it chaff's it raw. I loosened up that one and leave the others so I can get a hand under the whole vest anywhere on the dog.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Toss the Mendota and buy a Sylmar! I tried a Mendota along with a few others and haven't been impressed. Sylmar has been by far the best. They offer free alterations. Easy on, easy off. Doesn't come undone when hunting since its buckles and not velcro. Good for late season and early season. The owner Jerry is very nice. Only a couple dollars more than a Mendota.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:59 pm

rkappes wrote:Toss the Mendota and buy a Sylmar! I tried a Mendota along with a few others and haven't been impressed. Sylmar has been by far the best. They offer free alterations. Easy on, easy off. Doesn't come undone when hunting since its buckles and not velcro. Good for late season and early season. The owner Jerry is very nice. Only a couple dollars more than a Mendota.
That's a nice looking vest!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:17 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
rkappes wrote:Toss the Mendota and buy a Sylmar! I tried a Mendota along with a few others and haven't been impressed. Sylmar has been by far the best. They offer free alterations. Easy on, easy off. Doesn't come undone when hunting since its buckles and not velcro. Good for late season and early season. The owner Jerry is very nice. Only a couple dollars more than a Mendota.
That's a nice looking vest!
Yeah they are not bad looking, not as sleek looking as the Mendota but in my opinion the Mendota doesn't really offer much protection. I bought a Sylmar in the safety yellow color...I think safety yellow is much easier to see in the grass. Sylmar even sends a free dog treat! :D

After hunting all day my dog rarely even gets a scratch on her and she hunts hard.

Last winter after a freak accident/impalement, she doesn't hunt without the vest. She might look a little goofy but I can't go through the anguish of almost losing a dog again.