Nose development

CDN_Cocker

Nose development

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Figured I'd see if I could start some discussion on something I have pondered a few times. At what age do you think a dog's nose/scenting ability continues to develop till? My guy will be 2 yrs old next month and I feel like his nose is still improving. Whether or not that is development of the nose, or just experience, I am unsure, but I believe it to be nose as he seems to scent game from further distances than he did say a year ago. So what do you think? Anyone have any literature to back it up?

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: Nose development

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:16 pm

I don't necessarily think it is scenting ability...rather knowing what to do when they smell the scent. As a dog's experience grows, so does it's trained responses to the desired stimuli. Many factors can affect a dog's ability to smell. Take a look at the information at the following link: http://rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/7/47/933

Jay

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:19 pm

I have never seen anything that indicates a nose gets better and I sure haven't see anything in the field that would make me think that. I do think dogs get smarter and that shows many times bit since there is nothing in the nose that changes there is no reason to think it changes.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Exactly.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:32 pm

Dogs are born with their noses. They develop the ability to use it!