playing with pup

mowermandan

playing with pup

Post by mowermandan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:34 pm

ok so ive got my new pup had her one week today shes progressing by leaps and bounds literally so heres my next question she already semi house broke comes and asks to go out after 3 days by the way shes going and getting any toy I throw for her aqnd brings it right back to me for 3- 5 throws before she gets bored now she wants to play tug o war with a rope or knotted sock she loves this game but im wondering if its creating bad habits for down the road I know its a typical play response at her age so should I encourage it or nip it in the bud thanks for any thoughts or opinions on this matter

Max2

Re: playing with pup

Post by Max2 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:05 am

The way I was taught was to not play tug games as this may lead to a hard mouth. Please others chime in if I am incorrect. I never played tug games with max and he has a gentle grip. Also their little teeth could pop out.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:34 am

The way I was taught was to not play tug games as this may lead to a hard mouth. Please others chime in if I am incorrect. I never played tug games with max and he has a gentle grip.
+1 We made it a rule with our puppies not to play tug of war. The dogs have never shown a reluctance to hand over a bird - I believe establishing that it's not okay to play tug of war has helped lead to that

Becassier

Post by Becassier » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:06 am

What kind and how od is your pup?

IMO the only time I would recommend tug-of-war is if a pup lacks drive and independence. Shorten up the fun retrieves to 2 times, keep it fun and stop if the pup starts to loose interest (they usually do).

Best advice I have been given set your goals and make a plan.

Focus on your puppy's weakest link, learn how to teach your puppy to learn "development"..

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:35 am

I don't play tug of war with my pups - I do with some of my adult dogs. I do see the pups play with the other dogs that way though. I don't know if there is any basis on the "wives tale" that says it creates hardmouth - but since I don't know, I err on the cautious side.

When she is bringing back the toy on fetching though - ALWAYS quit playing before she gets bored and wants to quit - if that's only one or two throws, that's great. Always quit with her wanting to still play. And just a note - though you're probably already doing this, when she does bring the object back to you, don't take it from her mouth - pet her and praise her with it in her mouth. After a minute or two of that, then take the toy. If you start reaching for it from her mouth right away and taking it, she will begin to avoid you and stop bringing it to you.

Good luck with that pretty pup!

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:41 pm

what kind and how old
shes a gsp and turned 9 weeks sunday shes smart as can be learned to ask to go outside to go in 3 days she amazes me ill back off the tug o war and ive been stopping on the fetch before she gets bored after a couple of throws so it leaves her excited she has started to run with a toy instead of bringing it straight back she takes everything she can get in her mouth to her bed looks like a packrat nest with shoes socks toys and waterbottles

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:01 pm

I can vouch for not teaching tug of war. My dog thinks tug of war and keep away are the most fun games in the world, especially with a bird in her mouth. We no longer play either game and are going to do the full force fetch routine once the season is over. We can fix it and at least she is not hard mouthed, so it is just REALLY annoying instead of being a hunting deal breaker.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:36 pm

41magsnub wrote:I can vouch for not teaching tug of war. My dog thinks tug of war and keep away are the most fun games in the world, especially with a bird in her mouth. We no longer play either game and are going to do the full force fetch routine once the season is over. We can fix it and at least she is not hard mouthed, so it is just REALLY annoying instead of being a hunting deal breaker.
When I had this problem the first thing I did is let the pup hold the bird till she was tired of ot if I had the time. If I really wanted the bird quickly I just picked them up by the rear flank and they release it. A few times either way and the problem was fixed.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:36 pm

mowermandan wrote:what kind and how old
shes a gsp and turned 9 weeks sunday shes smart as can be learned to ask to go outside to go in 3 days she amazes me ill back off the tug o war and ive been stopping on the fetch before she gets bored after a couple of throws so it leaves her excited she has started to run with a toy instead of bringing it straight back she takes everything she can get in her mouth to her bed looks like a packrat nest with shoes socks toys and waterbottles
Dogs bring things to their lairs, or dens. Try sitting next to her bed when you toss something for her. She'll run back to her bed, but you can gently corral her and love her up for a minute or so. Then do it once more and be done after loving her up. You'll soon become her "secondary lair" or "safe place." This means when her bed is unavailable, she'll bring things to you. It's easier when you work with the dog.

Another thing I avoid (besides tug) is letting them chew and naw on "bumpers" or whatever retrieval object you use. They are special toys that are ALWAYS fun and ONLY used with me.

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:09 am

I've been giving her dingos for chewing and loving her up when chews them and taking non chew tows and not to be chewed things away when she goes for them and telling her firm but with no other corective measure no chew she's starting to get this more every day she gets things really quick

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:36 am

[quote="mowermandan
she gets things really quick[/quote]

That's because she's a GSP..... :D