H5 virus found in wild birds in WA state

Gertie

H5 virus found in wild birds in WA state

Post by Gertie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:49 pm

I received a link to this article today. I don't know as much as I should about this virus but I'm wondering if there's a chance it could have something to do with our bird numbers. I've been in some incredible habitat this year (some of it not hunted in several years) and haven't seen a lot of birds. There are certainly the low chick survival and high winter mortality factors to consider but perhaps this may be an issue as well. Anyone out there have some informed thoughts on this?

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/ ... luenza.pdf
Last edited by Gertie on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k2k

Re: H5 virus found in wild birds in WA state

Post by k2k » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:06 pm

The link..... is not about birds...lol

However, I am in Central WA, and hunt the Columbia Basin mostly. We didn't have a horrible winter or spring this past year, but the birds are non-existent where, on opening phez day in years past, it was decent enough. And I've heard this from quite a few people, but until now, didn't really think to look into it.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Oops ☺️ How did that happen? Anyway, I fixed it.

k2k

Post by k2k » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Hmm... the outbreak is several hundred miles from my area, so I doubt that is what is going on here... but information like that is always good to know...

shiloh123

Post by shiloh123 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:12 pm

WA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife report on Avian Influenza: http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/health/avian_flu/

... While it is extremely unlikely that hunters or people feeding wild birds could contract bird flu from wild birds, the following common-sense precautions are always recommended to reduce the risk of contracting any wildlife disease:

Do not harvest or handle wild birds that are obviously sick or found dead.
Wear rubber gloves while cleaning game or cleaning bird feeders.
Do not eat, drink or smoke while cleaning game.
Wash hands with soap and water or alcohol wipes immediately after handling game or cleaning bird feeders.
Wash tools and work surfaces used to clean game birds with soap and water, then disinfect with a 10 percent solution of chlorine bleach.
Separate raw meat, and anything it touches, from cooked or ready-to-eat foods to avoid contamination.
Cook game birds thoroughly. Meat should reach an internal temperature of 155 to 165 degrees Fahrenheit to kill disease organisms and parasites.

Dogs used in wild bird hunting are not considered at risk of acquiring bird flu, since there have been no documented cases of the virus infecting dogs. There have been cases of cats acquiring the H5N1 strain of bird flu in other parts of the world, but no cats have been documented with the H5N2 or H5N8 strains in North America. Dog and cat owners should consult their veterinarian for more information about influenza in pets...

shiloh123

Post by shiloh123 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:46 am

H5N1, which is communicable to humans has been discovered in a green teal duck in WA state according to the OIE: http://www.oie.int/wahis_2/public/wahid ... newlang=en Be careful in handling/food preparation of waterfowl.

More on this: http://afludiary.blogspot.ca/2015/01/oi ... north.html

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:00 pm

I believe all birds are under quarantine in Washington and Oregon. Oops I just went back and read and it says 2 counties in Washington are under Emergency Quarantine for all poultry due to Avian flu in domestic birds. This is for the next 8 months as of now.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:50 pm

The Avian Flu has now been found in Washington, Oregon< California, Utah, and Idaho. Be careful about moving birds in the area.