pigeon coop in dog area

mowermandan

pigeon coop in dog area

Post by mowermandan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm putting together a pigeon coop and the only area I have is my 30x 30 back lot I'm building out of a 5x10 dog kennel so I've read that pigeons in the same area dog uses for its yard is ok and won't cause her to be desensitized to birds is this correct

Scott Linden

Re: pigeon coop in dog area

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:01 pm

At least put the birds on the (prevailing) downwind side of the dogs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:05 pm

mowermandan wrote:I'm putting together a pigeon coop and the only area I have is my 30x 30 back lot I'm building out of a 5x10 dog kennel so I've read that pigeons in the same area dog uses for its yard is ok and won't cause her to be desensitized to birds is this correct
Never have had a problem even when I kept the birds in the kennel/

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:48 pm

That's what I've read ezzy i just wanted more opinions i didn't want to take a chance on the pup becoming so used to them that she would ignore them and not point them or whatever once i start working her on them thanks guys

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:56 pm

Oh and i don't really have a downwind side it's kinda an L shape building and its in side the L so the wind just kinda swirls around that area its in the corner of the two fences furthest point in corner it has wood fence on 2 sides I'm enclosing 4ft of the other side so actually only an area about 5x6 will be open pen the rest will be enclosed nesting area

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:19 am

My dog's are around the pigeon's all the time, no problem.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:43 am

One thing I would recommend is have the trap where the dog can’t get at it, my loft is a converted play house while the trap is too high for him to catch it’s not too high to harass the birds.

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:55 am

The kennel has a pitched roof frame I'm planning the trap on open end between pitch and top cross bar it's about a 16to 18 in high space that's 5 ft wide so i can get a 15 in wide trap in that space easily also that's the only end that faces towards open air space that way the land deck will be over 6 feet off the ground

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:33 pm

My coop is probably about 75 -100 feet from my kennels and is in the path of where my dogs all run every evening. I do have a fence around it to keep them from getting under it but I have had no issues with them being near it.

muckalee

Post by muckalee » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:07 am

A question from the other side.... Lets say you put your coop close by kennels. My kennels sit on an acre that is fenced in. Which allows me to turn dogs out for exercise / happy time while I am feeding up, cleaning kennels, etc. so dogs will be around coop.
Will the pigeons become "desensitized" to the dogs due to exposure and lose some of their wildness? I want as wild a pigeon as I can get for training purposes.
Any thoughts?

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:30 am

Because it's gett'n close to Christmas I figured I would throw a picture in this thread of max back when he was an infant not 30ft from our quail pen.
I put the quail pen where it worked for us.Max will be 8 next B-day and honestly dogs are smart and sort these things out. He knows where they are and that he can't get them. He is always there to help me when I am feeding & watering the birds. Running around the outside the coop think'n I'm gonna flush them. :D

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:57 am

I have a 4'x4' loft with legs 3' off the ground. It is in plain view of our GSP's when they head outside to run or do their business. If the birds are out feeding on the ground, the dogs catch wind of them and go on point. If the dogs move the birds fly off( natural flush) . The dogs learn not to move. It's great training when I'm not working with them. Yes they have caught a bird or two on occasion. The birds stay wild and the dogs drive for birds get stronger, it's a win win for me :P

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:02 pm

. I could not tell from your post if the dog was going to be kenneled right next to your pigeon coop. One thing to keep in mind if this is what your planing. Pigeons are messy and there droppings will bring rodents that carry diseases. I would not worry that much about the dog getting desensitized as much as I would worry about the dog living to close to pigeon dropping and other rodents.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:41 pm

zigzag wrote:. I could not tell from your post if the dog was going to be kenneled right next to your pigeon coop. One thing to keep in mind if this is what your planing. Pigeons are messy and there droppings will bring rodents that carry diseases. I would not worry that much about the dog getting desensitized as much as I would worry about the dog living to close to pigeon dropping and other rodents.

I have never seen droppings draw rodents. Spilled feed will keep them in the area, not the droppings. Remember those rodents are in the area anyway but will stick around if you feed them rather than just pass on through,

Either way have not had a problem.

Ezzy

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:36 pm

well I got the loft done and have 15 pigeons I bought local for 2 bucks apiece the loft is in a corner of our 30x30 back lot at work the pup goes out and watches the birds points a little at them then goes on with her buissness she goes in the loft with me when I feed and gets within 5-6 feet of the birds and points till they start flying around then she gets excited and trys to jump and get them haven't put birds out for her yet since theres been a foot of snow on the ground since I got them and at 11 weeks shes not much taller than the snow I think shes still a little young to really work her on them besides itll be a couple a months or more before theyre homed just got them last weekend but shes doing great with them in the yard

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:50 pm

I WOULDN'I LET THE PUP IN THE LOFT OR YOU WILL NEVER GET YOUR BIRDS TO HOME. Birds need to feel safe or they won't go in the loft. That is their home.