Not listening as well as he did, help please.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:01 am

A few years ago my male spent a summer in Mississippi with a trainer. When I got him back he was doing great didn't have any huge problems just wanted him a little steadier, he is just as steady today as he was when I picked him up BUT instead of him being on my time I feel like I have to be on his time. My best example, when I got him back as soon as the first syllable of his name came out of my mouth he was turning around and looking for my command, now, hunting I usually have to call him twice at least and he will come in my general direction.

I am not sure if I am too friendly (dominance) or I am doing something wrong. I guess I can get to the point, he does everything on a bird great (for me), how do I get him to listen to my commands and obey immediately?

Thanks for any help!

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:23 am

You're letting him get away with it meaning you're not enforcing your single command and letting him decide when he wants to comply.

ben33127

Re: Not listening as well as he did, help please.

Post by ben33127 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:51 am

Whats the best way to correct when he doesn't comply the first command?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:10 am

Never give a dog a second chance when you are having trouble with him. One command and zap. Pretty soon you'll have to give him three commands, then four. A dog can do things correctly a thousand times but let them defy you ONCE and they'll try it again. Nature of the beast.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:55 am

Gonehuntin nailed it. If I tell my dogs " here" and they decide not to listen they get drug over to me by the back of the neck, or the zap. Depending on whats easier for me, and which one will get the message across faster. Also, if you hunt your dog in thick brush he might just not be hearing you and in that case start overlaying his name with the tone or vibe on your collar.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:37 pm

The dog responding at the first call is fine in the training yard. I've had dog's out a good way hunting and often have to call them two or three time's. Why? I believe they are distracted with hunting. When I call and they look for me, they heard me. If I call and get no response, they were engrossed with hunting and didn't hear me. So if your dog doesn't look right away, it probably didn't hear you. I don't think you want to discourage that as the dog may become a robot dependent on handling. Your dog does it in the yard, let it go. Don't over handle, let it hunt.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:54 pm

If the dog takes 2 times to turn for you, the next 4 times you ask him to turn correct him without waiting to see if he is going to turn. Then go without the correction. If he doesn't respond another 4 times of correction.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:40 pm

DonF wrote:The dog responding at the first call is fine in the training yard. I've had dog's out a good way hunting and often have to call them two or three time's. Why? I believe they are distracted with hunting. When I call and they look for me, they heard me. If I call and get no response, they were engrossed with hunting and didn't hear me. So if your dog doesn't look right away, it probably didn't hear you. I don't think you want to discourage that as the dog may become a robot dependent on handling. Your dog does it in the yard, let it go. Don't over handle, let it hunt.
Good answer :D

Heck, my husband doesn't hear me much of the time and he's in a chair across the room.

Think about the dog being maybe upwind of you, running and breathing hard, wind in his ears, and his mind on the search. Cut him some slack.

However, if he looks up and sees you standing there yelling at him and decides to blow you off, that's a whole other ball of wax and needs to be addressed. Same like with husbands :lol:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:09 pm

shags wrote:
Heck, my husband doesn't hear me much of the time and he's in a chair across the room.

Yah, but dogs don't rattle on unceasingly the way wives do!!!!!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Hey!! No personal attacks. :lol:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:32 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Never give a dog a second chance when you are having trouble with him. One command and zap. Pretty soon you'll have to give him three commands, then four. A dog can do things correctly a thousand times but let them defy you ONCE and they'll try it again. Nature of the beast.
I agree one hundred percent with GH on this, as I do with most of his posts!

Charlie