Eating insulation

Gooseman07

Eating insulation

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:30 am

Anyone ever had their dog eat insulation? Mine ate a little off the wall last evening, maybe a 4-5" circle. I'm hoping my mom can take him to the vet since I'm in an airport at the moment when she told me.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Eating insulation

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:30 pm

No but they have eaten other things when bored. More exercise?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:50 pm

getzapped could do with some of that :)

Gooseman07

Eating insulation

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:23 pm

I understand the exercise thing. He's at my mom's for two weeks while I visit inlaws.

I was more after what medical attention did you give them.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Sorry.
Personally I wait until I see if there's a problem. Not saying you should do that though.

Jakeismydog2

Post by Jakeismydog2 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:12 pm

That can't feel good going through your system. It makes me itch just thinking about fiberglass.

Gooseman07

Eating insulation

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:07 pm

So my mom took him to the vet. They x-rayed and found a sizable ball in his stomach. They gave him something to drink to induce vomiting. They said better to vomit than pass. It could have potentially lodged In his intestines causing a need for surgery. He threw up the ball and is now on a specialized diet for 2 more days. He's also got a coating medicine to repair any cuts in his esophagus, mouth or stomach for the next week.

Sharon, I'm glad we didn't wait around for this one to show signs. It could have been WAY more than the bill we have.

getzapped

Eating insulation

Post by getzapped » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:40 pm

polmaise wrote:getzapped could do with some of that :)
I must be missing something. I dont get the reference. You saying i need more excersize?

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:53 pm

do you know what they gave the dog to induce vomiting?

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:01 am

I myself would have probably waited. if it were just fiberglass insulation I think a big ole terd would have pushed it out. When insulation gets wet it kind of looks like a terd. I think we are always going to do better to see a vet. But in this case my bets are he would have passed it with out issue.

Gooseman07

Eating insulation

Post by Gooseman07 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:04 am

Well, I've never had any issues with something like insulation. My dogs have not really eaten anything that could cause issue like this. The vet said it probably would have gotten lodged in his intestines had it been left alone. He is also only 7 months old so I'm sure like a child he still has smaller organs which wouldn't take much to get stuck and cause issues.

I do not know what the vet used to induce vomiting but they seemed very knowledgable from what my mom said.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:57 am

Gooseman07 wrote:Well, I've never had any issues with something like insulation. My dogs have not really eaten anything that could cause issue like this. The vet said it probably would have gotten lodged in his intestines had it been left alone. He is also only 7 months old so I'm sure like a child he still has smaller organs which wouldn't take much to get stuck and cause issues.

I do not know what the vet used to induce vomiting but they seemed very knowledgable from what my mom said.
You did the right thing .

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Gooseman07 wrote:So my mom took him to the vet. They x-rayed and found a sizable ball in his stomach. They gave him something to drink to induce vomiting. They said better to vomit than pass. It could have potentially lodged In his intestines causing a need for surgery. He threw up the ball and is now on a specialized diet for 2 more days. He's also got a coating medicine to repair any cuts in his esophagus, mouth or stomach for the next week.

Sharon, I'm glad we didn't wait around for this one to show signs. It could have been WAY more than the bill we have.
I take chances some people wouldn't I know. Comes from being old and seeing a vet was uncommon , which is why I said to you "NOT saying you should wait though."

( I would go immediately for a ball, but not necessarily for insulation. I would want to see how much was chewed and how much was lying on the floor.)

Hydrogen peroxide is normally used to induce vomiting.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:43 pm

I really would have bet he didn't eat it but I would have been wrong. Bur I do know from working with it fiberglass is a serious material on the outside skin let alone on the inside. I will almost guarantee the pup would have been in trouble even if it did pass it.