TV Hunting Show question??

mtlee

TV Hunting Show question??

Post by mtlee » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:15 pm

On more than one occasion I've seen a bird hunting show where they are using a pointing breed with a Lab. The pointer finds the bird, points, lab rushes in to flush bird, hunters shoot it, Lab retrieves it. Why do people do this? Why do the pointers keep pointing? It looks like they are doing all the work and getting no reward (retrieving the bird). It seems like the pointer would eventually get fed up w/ it and start breaking point to try and get to the bird first. From everything thing I've read and researched while training you reward your pointing dog by shooting a bird ONLY if it points, its reward is to retrieve the bird.

This may be a dumb question....but its something I just don't understand?

Hotpepper

retreive

Post by Hotpepper » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:00 pm

15 years ago, I thought the reward should be the bird. To have a great pointing dog, the reward should be the point. The reward of the bird is for you.

Using that approach, you will have a better pointing dog. The retrievers have a better nose for finding the downed game and the pointing dog is gone on to find an additional one. Have seen scouts in the north to go back after going all the way through a field with labs to retireve the downed birds.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

mtlee

Re: retreive

Post by mtlee » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:03 pm

Hotpepper wrote:15 years ago, I thought the reward should be the bird. To have a great pointing dog, the reward should be the point. The reward of the bird is for you.

Using that approach, you will have a better pointing dog. The retrievers have a better nose for finding the downed game and the pointing dog is gone on to find an additional one. Have seen scouts in the north to go back after going all the way through a field with labs to retireve the downed birds.

Pepper
Guess that makes sense....just seems unfair to me, but then again I am new to the Gundog scene! Thanks for the explanation.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:11 pm

I do not watch the pheasants forever shows, and other bird dog tv shows. It just flat out annoys me. First off I'm a big fan of hunting for the gentleman side of the sport. So having 4 pointers and 2 labs to 3 people is just ridiculous. Second, Some of the bird work there is terrible. Stealing points. Flash points and flushing. A load of bumped birds. You can tell no training was put into those dogs. All they do is BARELY hold point to flush.

The only show I watch is Dash in the uplands. Nice Llwellin Setter. Good concept for hunting. Great dog work. The guy on the show is a conservationist. And a really nice guy.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:59 pm

GsPJustin wrote:I do not watch the pheasants forever shows, and other bird dog tv shows. It just flat out annoys me. First off I'm a big fan of hunting for the gentleman side of the sport. So having 4 pointers and 2 labs to 3 people is just ridiculous. Second, Some of the bird work there is terrible. Stealing points. Flash points and flushing. A load of bumped birds. You can tell no training was put into those dogs. All they do is BARELY hold point to flush.

The only show I watch is Dash in the uplands. Nice Llwellin Setter. Good concept for hunting. Great dog work. The guy on the show is a conservationist. And a really nice guy.
I like that show too, I was a big fan of Huntin' With Hank as well. PF is terrible, I agree

Danro

Post by Danro » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:32 pm

Oh man I love Hunting with Hank and Dash. Its not on as much as it used to be. Dash looks like a great setter. Hank was the main dog on some of the first shows. I remember I got so excited when I saw them hunting in Deleware County, right around where I am. That is a great show.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:14 pm

I record it every Thursday and watch it on friday. Which reminds me I have an episode to watch!

I have read the book, watched just about every episode, and now i stay current on Dash in the Uplands.

I've also spoke with Dez Young a few times by email. Hes a great guy.

Never spoil your bird dog!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:50 pm

There's a couple of other reasons guy's do this. Many pointers are not good retrievers. The Smith's believe a pointer uses up too much energy looking for a bird, so they point em', someone shoots em', and the labs get em'.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:05 am

My dogs love to retrieve, and I would not deny them that pleasure after finding and handling the bird properly.

I don’t believe a retriever has a better nose for downed birds than a pointer, especially the versatile breeds that will put their noses to the ground. They are great trackers as well of wounded birds as well.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:05 am

Prairie Hunter wrote:My dogs love to retrieve, and I would not deny them that pleasure after finding and handling the bird properly.

I don’t believe a retriever has a better nose for downed birds than a pointer, especially the versatile breeds that will put their noses to the ground. They are great trackers as well of wounded birds as well.
I agree completely Prairie. To deny my Draht a retrieve would be denying her one of the hunt's greates pleasures. On the other hand. My old (13) english setter has never retrieved and never shown any interest in it. He is in dire need of my DD with him.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

HUTCH

Post by HUTCH » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:50 am

I like dash in the uplands but it seems like the dog is always working to close. maybe it is just the way they cut to the point or something but I like a dog to range a bit more than it seems dash does. My English pointer loves to retrieve but my setter would rather let a lab or any other dog do it.

Brandon

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:07 pm

Basically, they take 1 or 2 days of hunting, and put it into a 30 minute show. So they only use clips that are good for people to watch on tv. Hes from big running fdsb lines if i remember correctly.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:10 pm

I thought dash was the son of Hank.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:09 pm

I believe he is, im not to sure. I cant remember exactly what he said when I spoke with him. Ill have to ask him again.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:15 pm

Hes from big running fdsb lines if i remember correctly.
Don't think so. He is a Hank son from a long line of close working Llewellens. :)

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:20 pm

I apologize, I am wrong. I believe it was King Llwellins, in Arkansas... I know it has king in it, but thats all I can remeber.