2 dog E-collar systems

Jidano3

2 dog E-collar systems

Post by Jidano3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:48 pm

I have 2 pups I'm trying to work with, there are many 2 dog systems to choose from. Is there a collar that allows correction for both dogs at the same time with different stimulation levels? Thanks for any input.

nevermind

Re: 2 dog E-collar systems

Post by nevermind » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:21 am

I don't know if there is a system available, but I'm curious to know why you would need to correct two dogs at the same time?

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:51 am

Not that I'm aware of. I have a 3 collar tritronics system. In the event of a deer chase or something, I get the worst offender stopped and then quickly switch to the next dog.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:38 pm

nevermind wrote:I don't know if there is a system available, but I'm curious to know why you would need to correct two dogs at the same time?
both in the garbage? :)

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Yes Sharon and nevermind, they have a tendency to greet people at the door by jumping up, which I try to discourage. It's difficult to correct both at the same time. They also stand on their hind legs to see what's on the counter. I work with them on birds one at a time (without E-collars) due to the age difference. Just wanted something more to help with discipline in the house as well as bird training. Thanks for the advice rinker, sounds logical to clip the worst offender first and deal with the next.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:58 am

Don't do that. Zap them even one at a time while they are close together and in an excited hyper state of mind, and you will likely have more problems than dogs jumping on your guests. You could wind up breaking up a fight and maybe even heading off to the ER to stitch up whoever got in the middle of it.
You're better off to make the effort to have 'practice' company. Ask someone to come to the door and ring the bell or knock. Make the dogs sit or stand well back from the door and don't open it until they calm down. You can leash the dogs and correct them from jumping up. Instruct the 'guests' to ignore the dogs entirely.
Mouse traps of the snap variety work wonders for curing counter surfing.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:10 am

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, idea. If you fry them while jumping on someone,they can think the guest hurt them and attack the guest. This is NOT a situation to use the collar in. Sounds like you better study the collar more before getting one. Remember with the collar: When you work at higher levels, for every action, there is an opposite reaction.

Knee to the dog's chest will work wonders.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:13 am

To prevent jumping up at the door, you can practice greeting guests with the pups on a leash. Start with one pup at a time and the other pup in its crate. Work in the house, near the entrance door. Teach sit, then sit/stay, then stretch out the duration of the stay (all while on the leash). Start with no distractions, then move to increasing distractions. One dog at a time, always on leash so you can correct the mistakes and teach the pups what you WANT them to do. Teach them one at a time, then practice together after they are sure of what to do when worked alone. Lots of calm praise and always control excitement. Make sure that in your daily life with the pups you are not rewarding excitement or confusing excitement with happiness. Calm dogs are happy dogs; hysterical ones are not. Good luck with your pups, maybe a trainer or class would help you get things calmed down without electricity. You have to teach the behaviour you want, then introduce the collar after the dog understands the task.

Keep asking for more training suggestions. There is lots of help here for you. Merry Christmas and enjoy your pups!

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:36 am

Great, Thank you for the advice and putting things into perspective.

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Come to think of it, you may have saved me $300-$500 for the purchase of e collars. A bit confused on the purpose of them. No I'm not being sarcastic, it seems with more effort I can discipline the dogs

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Jidano3 wrote:Come to think of it, you may have saved me $300-$500 for the purchase of e collars. A bit confused on the purpose of them. No I'm not being sarcastic, it seems with more effort I can discipline the dogs
E=collars are nothing more than long check cords. greatest too ever invented but if you have the time, patience, and perseverance you can certainly get along with out one. We did for years.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:24 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, idea. If you fry them while jumping on someone,they can think the guest hurt them and attack the guest. This is NOT a situation to use the collar in. Sounds like you better study the collar more before getting one. Remember with the collar: When you work at higher levels, for every action, there is an opposite reaction.

Knee to the dog's chest will work wonders.
There ya go! Also good post from Shags!

Charlie

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:51 am

I have found that a six ft. thin leash{el cheapo} works great in the house. A dog that jumps up on people usually like to put their feet on the counter or other household furntiure also. It is a habit that needs to be broke. Put the leash on and let the dog wear it in the house and use your feet not your hands. If you are at the counter preparing food for you or the dog just put your foot on the leash as short as possible. Dog will correct himself when he tries to jump up. Same at at the door, guest come to the door, you let them in while standing on the leash. Dog cannot jump up. I don`t say a word. After a while the dog realizes he can no longer jump up when the leash is on. Do the same thing outside with the leash or CC. Very easy on the young dog plus if the dog gets into trouble in the house, rather than cornering the young pup and scaring him, just reach down and grab the leash. No pressure no drama. Once you feel the dog is behaving correctly you can start weening the leash away.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Great advice there.

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:05 pm

So, is it wise to have collars ( used properly) for correction or not?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Absolutely . It's a great invention. With a big running gun dog, that is your way of control WHEN NEEDED. I won't mention what they used to do before e collars. I have two older dogs who haven't needed a correction in years , but they wear the collar just in case.

I was going to say when you originally posted though , that if I can get my hands on the dog - in the house , yard etc.- that is much preferable to an e collar.

DennisCanfield

Post by DennisCanfield » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:18 am

i advice you to make sure that your puppies are comfortable with these type of collars because some pups find it very uncomfortable and it effects their health in negative prospects

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:32 am

DennisCanfield wrote:i advice you to make sure that your puppies are comfortable with these type of collars because some pups find it very uncomfortable and it effects their health in negative prospects
Would love to see a complete explanation of this such as what health effects and also how you tell if a pup likes the collar.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:15 am

Ignoring the training aspect of this for a second where I agree with everybody saying it is a bad idea to use as described...

A Garmin Alpha will do what you are asking for (for a lot of $$$).

clink83

Post by clink83 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:36 am

You can use the ecollar to correct a dog that knows a known command and gas been properly collar conditioned. If the dog does not understand why he is being corrected it will cause problems though.
That said, for basic stuff around the house why use correction based training? You can teach dogs not to jump up with a clicker. Its much easier to teach a dog what to do right than to correct him for doing the wrong thing.

Plus, a dog that has a positive attitude towards training will be much easier to train down the line when they need to learn their hunting manners.

DennisCanfield

Post by DennisCanfield » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:29 am

ezzy333 wrote:
DennisCanfield wrote:i advice you to make sure that your puppies are comfortable with these type of collars because some pups find it very uncomfortable and it effects their health in negative prospects
Would love to see a complete explanation of this such as what health effects and also how you tell if a pup likes the collar.
Check this out http://www.petprofessionalguild.com/shockcollars

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:43 am

My brother used an electronic "Scat Mat" to train his Chessie to keep his paws off the counter tops.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:07 am

DennisCanfield wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
I call HOGWASH! They immediately discredited themselves (in my mind) when they said it is unethical. They turned it into an issue about beliefs rather than what's scientifically applicable.

I've collar conditioned dogs and used those "invisible" fences and I've never seen those problems. Do these PPG people never say no?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:01 am

DennisCanfield wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
Dernnis, I looked at the article that you linked and all that says is an explanation of their agenda and there was no evidence of harm to the dog. hey just might change their mind if they if they tied to train a sporting dog or any other dog at a distance. As far as shock goes, we no longer have shock collars but we do have collars that will carry different types of stimulation to the dog when it is working at a distance. Evidently they have never tested a collar on themselves, for if they had, they would know the stimulation we are talking about is a great deal less than a therapist uses when working with you in dealing with the nervous system. I have been there and I know of what I speak.

A nice article that says nothing about the wellbeing of the dog but tries to make a case for their agenda of strictly positive training which has been proved to not being very effective with practically all species including humans.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:37 am

ezzy333 wrote: Dernnis, I looked at the article that you linked and all that says is an explanation of their agenda and there was no evidence of harm to the dog. hey just might change their mind if they if they tied to train a sporting dog or any other dog at a distance. As far as shock goes, we no longer have shock collars but we do have collars that will carry different types of stimulation to the dog when it is working at a distance. Evidently they have never tested a collar on themselves, for if they had, they would know the stimulation we are talking about is a great deal less than a therapist uses when working with you in dealing with the nervous system. I have been there and I know of what I speak.

A nice article that says nothing about the wellbeing of the dog but tries to make a case for their agenda of strictly positive training which has been proved to not being very effective with practically all species including humans.
Look at the youth of today, perfectly behaved little angels because we have become afraid of all correction.

Wait... Ezzy basically took the words out of my mouth.

"Shock the heck out of the dog" for every bad behavior is a bad practice and no one here will endorse it. Used correctly an ecollar is an amazing tool, the only time my dog runs free without one is during a trial. I rarely touch the remote. But a half mile long check cord can be useful. Even lifesaving.