Storing a few training pigeons and looking for advice

khaselow

Storing a few training pigeons and looking for advice

Post by khaselow » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi,

I will be training with pigeons this spring and I live in the city. I expect to buy 3-6 pigeons at a time and card them for training when possible to reuse them.

I would like to store them in a small cage either in my garage or in a my back yard. This would not really be a pigeon coop as my city would not allow that but more of a temporary storage place for a few pigeons.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a simple, practical storage housing for pigeons? Any other thoughts on how to store them and keep them healthy?

appreciated,

Kent

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Storing a few training pigeons and looking for advice

Post by DonF » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:40 am

Big enough for food and water and plenty of ventilation. Don't crowd the birds.

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:23 am

I used a wire dog kennel ( 3' x 4') for a temporary home until my loft was done. I pushed some branches through for them to roost on. I also stacked small storage plastic storage boxes as nest areas. Worked quite well for a while. Place something underneath to catch the droppings, and yes pleny of ventilation. Keep in mind, in the spring 3-4 birds can quickly become 6-8, they are like rabbits that time of year.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:42 pm

I live in the city and keep a couple pigeons a week in a dog crate in the garage , when training at that level.

***** If they are in the cage more than 6+- days they won't fly well .... if at all. Use them up every week. If carded they may not even get off the ground. Try it out and see how many days you can count on them to at least lift off.