Having Major Issues..

media310

Having Major Issues..

Post by media310 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Lately my 4 year old GSP has been sprinting in and out of the house. Is this normal? She is so high strung inside the house unless shes in her kennel.

Do I need to leash her and walk her through the house to show her "inside" pace?

Is me running with her, backcountry snowboarding and mountain biking causing this issue? We had a great fall hunting but I am starting to loose it with her intensity..

Thoughts, Help please.. Everything else in life is going really really well. The dog has been testing me or better yet someone upstairs

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Having Major Issues..

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:03 pm

A 4 year old GSP is an athlete at its peak. Great you are doing all those things , but is the dog getting a DAILY hard run?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:17 pm

I won't put up with any of that crap. Enforce her obedience.

media310

Post by media310 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:28 pm

Sharon wrote:A 4 year old GSP is an athlete at its peak. Great you are doing all those things , but is the dog getting a DAILY hard run?
off leash for 30minutes - 2 hours a day going wild in the mountains.

But good point on the athlete at its peak.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:38 pm

The exercise is good. But you MUST be the leader. You set the rules, then you teach your pup the rules, then you enforce them.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:42 pm

My brit hasn't run in several days. She's also at the peak of her conditioning, and she just got done with the fall trial circuit. All she does is lay around in the house. You need to set the rules, and don't put up with your dog running the house.

k2k

Post by k2k » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:48 pm

How often is she in the house?

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:10 am

Teach her "down" , which includes "stay"...... Make her do what the pack leader wants.

media310

Post by media310 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:44 pm

this has continued big time.. I am now making sure I walk out of the door first.

I make her sit, I open the door, I tell her to go potty and she sprints out the door, so high strung. She does her business sits on the porch to come in and then boom, runs straight to her water dish or kennel.

I cant figure out why she is doing this or how to make it stop. Leash and heel her anytime going in and out of the front door? I tried this and same thing happened unless I literally walk her back to her kennel.

I work from home, we are here 20+ hours a day. Maybe that's the issue? We do get out to run, bike, hunt, snowboard daily so exercise is surely not the problem, if anything she gets way to much and expects it now..

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:55 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I won't put up with any of that crap. Enforce her obedience.
X 10 Sounds like the dog controls you. Maybe grab her or him by the nap of the neck and butt . Shake her up a bit. Be firm, you rule and let the dog know.it Might do you and the dog some good.

media310

Post by media310 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:07 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:I won't put up with any of that crap. Enforce her obedience.
X 10 Sounds like the dog controls you. Maybe grab her or him by the nap of the neck and butt . Shake her up a bit. Be firm, you rule and let the dog know.it Might do you and the dog some good.
I agree with part of your statement :) Not sure I follow..

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:14 pm

media310 wrote:I agree with part of your statement Not sure I follow..
What part don't you follow ?

media310

Post by media310 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:33 pm

I tend to not get physical with my dog, especially a GSP.. So thats how you win so many metals is by force? Swell

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:48 pm

We aren't talking about abuse , but there is a time to get physical with every breed of dog. Grabbing the jowls and giving a shake At the RIGHT moment works for many bad behaviours ( in the house), that you have not been able to control otherwise.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:40 pm

Media, In all honesty the major problems you are relating are pretty darn minor and are common when training most any animal. If you expect them to just do whatever you would like them to with out any guidance from you is just not going to happen. Positive training is good but all positive and no negative just doesn't work with animals or even humans. And early corrections make most problems very minor and quickly corrected. If you are of the nature that thinks setting limits an enforcing them is more than you can handle you are in the wrong business and have the wrong pet.

Just take a step backwards, access the situation and then do what you think will correct it. Nothing wrong with asking questions when you are in doubt but often it is better to do something immediately rather than later so try to plan ahead in your mind what you would do if your dog does....................................!

Ezzy

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:59 pm

media310 wrote:this has continued big time.. I am now making sure I walk out of the door first.

I make her sit, I open the door, I tell her to go potty and she sprints out the door, so high strung. She does her business sits on the porch to come in and then boom, runs straight to her water dish or kennel.

I cant figure out why she is doing this or how to make it stop. Leash and heel her anytime going in and out of the front door? I tried this and same thing happened unless I literally walk her back to her kennel.

I work from home, we are here 20+ hours a day. Maybe that's the issue? We do get out to run, bike, hunt, snowboard daily so exercise is surely not the problem, if anything she gets way to much and expects it now..
It sounds like she is obedient to me. It seems like she is a joyful, exuberant GSP, who is excited and happy to be with you, in the house. If she obeys commands and runs through her paces in fast forward I would be careful about correcting her (i.e.) slowing her down. Is it when you first come home? When you put on your boots to go hunting? Does she settle down when the family sits down to watch TV. With some dogs "its a new day" every 15 minutes. If you come back from getting the paper in the driveway "its a new day" in the dogs mind.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Does the dog know whoa? Dog wants in - dog sits by door - you open the door - dog bolts - you whoa dog - clip lead on, tell dog "easy" and release - dog bolts, hits end of lead, you make impact stronger on purpose - make sure dog really knows she hit the end of it. Stand dog up again. NO - EASY, release. repeat till dog understands (will take a few days worth of repeats).

Or else just get used to the dog doing as it wills.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed May 06, 2015 2:05 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
media310 wrote:this has continued big time.. I am now making sure I walk out of the door first.

It sounds like she is obedient to me. It seems like she is a joyful, exuberant GSP, who is excited and happy to be with you, in the house. If she obeys commands and runs through her paces in fast forward I would be careful about correcting her (i.e.) slowing her down. Is it when you first come home? When you put on your boots to go hunting? Does she settle down when the family sits down to watch TV. With some dogs "its a new day" every 15 minutes. If you come back from getting the paper in the driveway "its a new day" in the dogs mind.
I agree all four my younger dogs are like this and it harms nothing, I would ignore it. The other five are over 10 and they still get fired up just slightly less. They just love going out for a run and pretty much calm down after a few minutes when we return home. Good GSP's are supposed to be high energy it's just their nature.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed May 06, 2015 2:19 am

Sounds like you just got one of the high strung GSPs. My last dog was like this. Was constantly running around, jumping all over the place, even with daily exercise. I was the number one purchaser of curtain rods at my local wal-mart. Should have seen him when I put my hunting boots on or grabbed my shotgun! Watch out! And in the car? Same thing, hyper hyper hyper. I did a lot of research when deciding what breed to buy and sort of expected that the hyperness was a possibility and just did my best to channel it outside as much I could.

Have you considered building an outdoor kennel for when you are busy working and cannot deal with the dog?

Good luck.