Thinking of a Griffon

2dogs

Thinking of a Griffon

Post by 2dogs » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:05 pm

Hello all-been a member for a couple of years but just lurking in the back ground listening and learning.
I am in need of some info, I currently hunt with two different dogs-a lab and a shorthair. Here's my dillema, my lab needs to be retired and I want to eventually get back to hunting everything with one all purpose dog. I hunt doves to ducks and geese, my main focuses are waterfowl and chukars. I am thinking of a Griffon but don't know if they can handle the icey water for waterfowl.
Anyone know anything about them? :?:

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:39 pm

Just buy a Pudelpointer. Cedarwood kennels is in your neck of the woods.

Coach529

Post by Coach529 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:31 pm

Razor wrote:Just buy a Pudelpointer. Cedarwood kennels is in your neck of the woods.
I have to agree, sounds like a good fit.

I have a buddy looking at getting a puppy from them right now.

http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com/

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:08 pm

I'll bet a Griffon would fill the bill. I know a GWP would.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

2dogs

Post by 2dogs » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:41 pm

Wow! Now you have really given me something to consider.
I think I will try and set up a visit to Bob Farris's kennel the next time I get to Boise.
Unfortunutley, I'm afraid his dogs might be out of my price rang and hard to get a hold of.

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:31 am

The reason we got a Griff is the hubby has a knee replaced and we wanted a dog that wouldnt range that far.Griffons (from the right breeder) do it all.They work close,have noses out of this world.They LOVE the water,ours we cant keep him out.We hunt ducks,and all upland game with him.

There coat is for cold weather.The only thing they dont like warm weather.So if you live where its warm I would consider a different dog.

They love kids all other dogs and people.Very people dog.So whatever you read about them its true.this is our first Griff and he is wonderful.The NA in him is out of this world.They do need to be ran because they have alot of energy just like any other hunting dog.We bring ours hunting almost every day.Ours was in the water retrieving at 14 weeks old.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:36 am

What kinda glue did you use to get all that extra hair to stick on???!?!? LOL j/k :lol: :lol:

whiteruger

Post by whiteruger » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:45 am

On the rescue section there is a young male Spinone that the rescue place just got in. The owner was deployed they are very much like a Griffon, maybe worth checking out. He looks sooo cute. I would take him in a heartbeat if we didn't have my sons dog here.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:58 am

There is a HUGE difference between a PP and a Griff. Do your homework before choosing. Determine what traits are important to you. Talk to owners of the breeds that you are considering, not just the breeders.

This website has lots of owners of all those ugly dogs. :)
http://forum.versatiledogs.com/

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:19 am

Yawallac is right.That fourm has alot of owners of Griffs.
And there not ugly..... lol

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:51 pm

There are lots of Versatile breeds to choose from, And a good dog is a good dog regardless of breed.
Speaking from the POV of someone hunting in the same basic geographic area and hunting the same types of game you are talking about, I can tell you there are guys in the local NAVHDA club with a variety of breeds but in our area the GWPs definitely dominate.
I like my dog's medium coat because she doesn't attract every burr in the field(although she occasionally brings one home in her beard). The long coarse outter coat sheds the burrs/mud and the thick soft under coat that she grows in the fall keeps her warm. It's kinda cool the way she seems to change colors through the seasons due to the white in the outter coat. She gets lighter in the spring as the dark under coat sheds off then darker again in the fall as it thickens back up. 8)
As far as the cold weather thing goes, I'll tell you the same thing I have told dozens of others when they question my dog's low temp abilities.
She will never give up and want to quit before you do :) , regardless of how cold it gets. Besides there is equipment we use to deal with cold to make our 4-legged friends more comfortable.
I would also encourage you to do your homework. Your next hunting partner will probably be with you about 10 Years- a lifetime commitment for him/her.
Sam came from a kennel near you- Von Krieger in Weston Id. You may want to consider contacting them.
Looks like their website hasn't been updated in a while but the contact info should be good. http://www.yourgundog.com/
Also, Three Devils Kennel is located nearby and has litters regularly.
http://www.huntingdogs.cc/
Good Luck!
Men in Black -- Protecting Earth from the scum of the Universe
-------------------------------------------------------
Donnerhund!
Registered German Wirehaired Pointers

2dogs

Post by 2dogs » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:12 am

Thanks for the input Donerhund, I was actually looking at a 3 month old female GWP the other day but I'm just not sure yet.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:58 pm

2dogs,

I live in south eastern Idaho as well. All the birds you hunt I hunt as well, except I go after all the grouse species as well. I have had several versatile breeds, but finally got a GWP. I love the clown. He hunts anything and everything. I hunt him till the end of waterfowl season around here wich is January.

Gary

2dogs

Post by 2dogs » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:03 pm

Blueblood,
Does your GWP hunt closer in as they say the Griffon does or is it rangier like my shorthair? How is their personality and house manners? Do they socialize with other dogs well?
Thanks for the input.

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:16 pm

Sam tends to hunt in closer in heavy cover but she still covers lots of groud in open country. I think training and the dog's personality have more to do with how close a dog hunts than the breed. Your dog should want to work with you in the field and keep track of you just like you keep track of him.
Men in Black -- Protecting Earth from the scum of the Universe
-------------------------------------------------------
Donnerhund!
Registered German Wirehaired Pointers

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:30 pm

I don't have first hand field experience with Bob's dogs although I've been to his place and checked them out. I know he's developed them through true world testing as I've seen him, or at least his rig parked in MY spots, out hunting a bunch of times. A buddy has hunted with one of his dogs and said it did a real good job on chukars - never saw it do the waterfowl thing but I remember talking to Bob and him talking about some amazing water retrieves he'd seen them do.

jhoughton

I would go with a GWP...

Post by jhoughton » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:23 pm

Check out Wilsonwirehairs.com

Ron is breeding some great dogs and he can help you select the right dog for you. He will probably have another litter in the spring. These dogs are worth waiting for.