my incredible new gsp pup

mowermandan

my incredible new gsp pup

Post by mowermandan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:56 pm

I went and thru a few clays with my brother yesterday and we took the pup along with the intent of just leaving her in the truck while we shot at about 75-100 yards away well she kept scatching at the window and whining to get out while we were shooting maybe 10 shots so I thought lets see what she does her tail never stopped by the way while we were shooting she was excited not scared so any way let her out of truck and my brother walked her thru the snow to about75 yards from the gun and I fired a round in the opposite direction she acted like she didn't even hear it no flinch no head turn nothing so I moved closer 50 yards same effect no jump flinch or anything outa her so imoved to 20 yrds same thing so imoved to 10 yards still good now imright next to the clay pigeon thrower and my broyher pulls the rope and I follow and bamb I shoot the clay with the pup at my feet she takes off I thought that was to close well she saw the wad falling from the shell and she had run and caught it as it hit the ground aaand brought it strait back to me I was amazed not only no gun shyness shes done her 1st retrieve under a gun at 11 weeks shes awesome cant believe how smart my little gsp pup is I just had to brag everyone

mnaj_springer

Re: my incredible new gsp pup

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:01 pm

That's great... But that can be a risky way to introduce the gun. Personally I want birds involved when the gun is introduced.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:12 pm

mowermandan wrote:I went and thru a few clays with my brother yesterday and we took the pup along with the intent of just leaving her in the truck while we shot at about 75-100 yards away well she kept scatching at the window and whining to get out while we were shooting maybe 10 shots so I thought lets see what she does her tail never stopped by the way while we were shooting she was excited not scared so any way let her out of truck and my brother walked her thru the snow to about75 yards from the gun and I fired a round in the opposite direction she acted like she didn't even hear it no flinch no head turn nothing so I moved closer 50 yards same effect no jump flinch or anything outa her so imoved to 20 yrds same thing so imoved to 10 yards still good now imright next to the clay pigeon thrower and my broyher pulls the rope and I follow and bamb I shoot the clay with the pup at my feet she takes off I thought that was to close well she saw the wad falling from the shell and she had run and caught it as it hit the ground aaand brought it strait back to me I was amazed not only no gun shyness shes done her 1st retrieve under a gun at 11 weeks shes awesome cant believe how smart my little gsp pup is I just had to brag everyone
So chalk your day up as a very lucky one as you had probably over 50% chance that you could have ruined her right there. And it still could happen but the chances are slimmer now. We have spent hours on this forum trying to teach new owners how to gun condition and I THINK MOST TAKE IT TO HEART AND FOLLOW. BUT THERE ARE ALWAYS A FEW THAT JUST CAN'T WAIT AND CHANCE RUINING A 500 DOLLAR INVESTMENT. I have a friend that specializes in fixing gun shy pups and most of them come from the almost exact circumstance you just described. And there is no end. And it doesn't depend on the quality of the pup but just pure luck that you got away with it. Anyway, I am glad your pup saved you this time but I SURE HOPE YOU WILL SLOW DOWN AND HELP THE PUP GROW AND LEARN.

Ezzy

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:22 pm

well it was kind of a coincidental thing because she was getting so excited in the truck with the windows up I thught I would give it a try then things just progressed and she was great I couldn't believe she found that wad or even saw it for that matter in all the snow it was as high as she is tall she loved it by the way that's where the trip ended it was to good to ruin and she got tremendous praise and left on a good note and ezzy I knew it was wrong but like you mentioned I just couldn't help myself I do try to take all the advise I can get on here and ill use more restraint in the future on all matters puppy and training and the shooting probably wont be done again till I work her on birds in a couple of months

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:37 pm

You were lucky.

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:27 pm

Lotto ticket enough said!

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:40 am

I've seen what could have been very nice gundogs ruined as young pups by improper introduction to gunfire where their owners staked them out too close while they and their friends shot skeet.

Hopefully you bought a lottery ticket that same day!

donne

Post by donne » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:19 am

WOW. Between this and the pigeon coop post. :roll:

Sounds like you're a lucky guy, you've got a pup with a lot of potential. But its still just a pup.
Please try to find a club or pro near you and get some help. A mentor with years of experience is priceless.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:27 am

Which on of the older books reccomeds introducing puppies to gunfire at a shooting range or similar wording? One of them does I think. I know in my pursuits of all things training I have read this somewhere.

Anyway, glad your pups doing well. Be cautious even the next few times you shoot. Many people think one exposure is enough but dogs can develope issues that seeme okay with one experience but slide downhill during the next. Especially when there were multiple shots. It's not common, but it happens enough it's good to keep it in mind. Also be aware of the fear stages, that pups naturally go through. They have bold times and cautious times and the later are times to "happy time" in the fields without adding big stuff into their experience. Just my tips.

Have fun with the pup.

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:03 am

I would not have even attempted this if I wasn't very confident of the outcome my pup has been exposed to a great deal of noises since I first got her she lives in a chain saw shop and was introduced slowly to the working sounds of the shop even to chain saws being started lawnmower engines banging and air tools so I knew her reaction to a point I wasn't doing this out of the blue but I didn't expect the great response with the chasing the wad and all. that's what I was excited about I understand i really pushed the envelope but it was a calculated risk because of her general exceptance of sharp and loud noises with no ill. responce she loves it in the shop and we have not found any noises that scare or intimidate her at all

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:57 am

mowermandan wrote:I would not have even attempted this if I wasn't very confident of the outcome my pup has been exposed to a great deal of noises since I first got her she lives in a chain saw shop and was introduced slowly to the working sounds of the shop even to chain saws being started lawnmower engines banging and air tools so I knew her reaction to a point I wasn't doing this out of the blue but I didn't expect the great response with the chasing the wad and all. that's what I was excited about I understand i really pushed the envelope but it was a calculated risk because of her general exceptance of sharp and loud noises with no ill. responce she loves it in the shop and we have not found any noises that scare or intimidate her at all
One small point I want to tell you and then I will let it go. Other type noises have little connection to gun fire. Just something for you to remember for future use. people have made loud noises while little puppies are eating for years and they are still acceptable to gunshyness. Dogs do distinguish the differences Look how many great hunting dogs are scared to death of thunder and vice versa. Anyway you were lucky so count your blessings and have fun in the future. Try to remember for the next several months your job as the teacher is to socialize and teach whatever manners you feel you need to. Your pup will become a bird dog pup when it is somewhere near 6 months. Till then it is just a pet that you need to guide so it will be a joy to the whole family. One other thing I strongly advise is get some duck tape and take it along with your pup out in to as many field as possible for walks and the first time you feel the urge to talk to it while out there take the duck tape and put a piece over your mouth.

Have fun and keep us informed with word and pictures.

Ezzy

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Wow, I thought I was aggressive introducing my dog to gunfire moving up to a .22 at 3 months and a shotgun at 4 months. She was hunting at 5 months, more accurately following the adult dogs and honoring their points (didn't have to train that at all, which was great!). Next dog I take it slower, though it worked out this time.

I got lucky, and you got really lucky the dog isn't screwed up!

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:57 pm

ezzy ive learned by nature of most posts on this forum that you are one of the most repected on here and I thank you for your advise and input be it scolding or positive and I will take it to heart I will be much carefuller in the future and in all other things I have been very patient and am only doing field and yard stuff in a very fun way for the pup no yelling or negative punishment under any circumstance playing while fetching making it a game here wiyh treats which by the way she has pretty well down and no bite with a one finger tap on the nose she gets everything really fast so I have to check myself often to keep from going to fast thanks again and thanks everyone for your help and input

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks for taking my criticism in the manner it was intended. I find it so hard to write what I am feeling. You are on the right track, just relax and work on making the pup a good citizen in your yard and home and we can make a bird dog in a few months.

Happy New Year.

Ezzy

gsp1985gj

Post by gsp1985gj » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:26 am

Wow. I thought my new pup was good because he is pointing and backing nicely at four months... I was lucky enough to get a dog (one of my two older dogs) that had been made gunshy by a previous owner, and started on the process of recovery by a very well known trainer, who gave me plenty of sound advice and the keys to a better dog than I deserved. I have worked with him to the point of being able to kill several woodcock over him this fall and it has taught me the value of patience in a big way. I went shooting the other day about three miles as the crow flies, maybe less, from where I live and was worried about my new pup hearing it, totally an unfounded worry but nonetheless. Guess opposite ends of the spectrum. I always carry a .22 starter pistol, with me in the woods and if distance and situation are right have put a lot of rounds through it, loud enough to notice and cause positive association, and then move to a .209 when the dogs are showing they are ready it's worked really well for me and have been lucky enough to have some places to train where there are enough wild bird contacts to supplement pigeons. Sounds like you're going to have a heck of a retriever though.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:20 am

Whew we're you lucky!

Lets see what happens , and dog training should never be in the same sentence!