Offseason conditioning

MGIII

Offseason conditioning

Post by MGIII » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:45 pm

I live in Phoenix and don't have much land around me to take Hic out and get him in shape for the hunting season. He goes on regular walks and I run him pretty hard at the park however its not the same as hunting. Any of you guys have recommendations on how to keep him conditioned for the season? Summer is hot so can't run him too hard in the summer.

RyanDoolittle

Re: Offseason conditioning

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:55 am

My conditioning routine starts here soon. The dogs will have had2 months off and need to get into shape for trials. My dog was quiet young so I free ran him for 45-90 min 3x a week (thursday & tuesday & Saturday or Sunday) in the summer when it was hot I kept the same time of exercise but ran on edges of lakes or rivers. We stopped every 15-20 min and I did some water retrieves.

This year The dog is now 2 so I will remove the free running on saturday and try to replace it with running on HB or roading from ATV. Once he is getting back into shape I may add resistance by making him drag logging chain during the week.

If I couldnt do any of thatI would look for a scooter or trike and get the dog to pull me. The trick is keeping up a good pace and not doddling.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:30 am

Make friends with some of the farmers around there to free run your dog, additionally handling drills and/or to work your dog on wild birds later in the summer. Swimming, I do this with my pointers as they love to retrieve. A blank gun, dummies, and few dogs gets it done. Early morning roading either on foot/horse/atv/skateboard but be sure to soak the dog down before, during and after the workouts. One day hard, one day light, one day off, repeat but longer and harder workouts.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:49 am

Yes, roading and swimming.

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:03 am

Roading us the way to go

MGIII

Offseason conditioning

Post by MGIII » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:28 am

Roading and swimming. That works. When roading how much is the dog actually pulling?

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:27 am

I live near Sacramento and the summers are warm here too (not Phoenix warm, but too warm to do any exercise outside of early morning). I run my dog off my mountain bike using an attachment called the Walky Dog Plus. I can set the pace or have the dog pull. I have access to dirt, gravel, and asphalt trails at the reservoir near my house. We take breaks to swim or free run along the lake depending on who's around. This works well for us given our situation.

MGIII

Offseason conditioning

Post by MGIII » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks for the info. I'll look up the Walky dog plus.

Becassier

Post by Becassier » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Here's one from my friend in Norway, if you live someplace with snow..

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154990496585375

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:32 pm

I used to live in the 'burbs, so I had nowhere close by to free run my dogs. I was given a leather weightlifter's belt the kind that is about 8" wide across the back and put a dog in harness attached to the belt via a short rope. I would walk... and the dog would pull me around the subdivisions. Kept us both in shape. I typically roaded a dog or two (one at a time)after dark in the summertime. I generally roaded the dog on the sidewalks because the macadam roadway kept too much heat. If the surface was warm to the touch, I would wait a while.

I will still do it with young dogs because I can teach them to go with me and turn with me very easily and most important... I can feel instantly when the youngster's energy wanes.

RayG

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:18 pm

I live in Vegas, so again not quite as hot as Phoenix, but again would go with early morning (before sunrise) roading and swimming.

I got a cani-cross and skijor/bikejoring setup from https://www.facebook.com/HowlingDogAK and have found it works well. I would recommend disk brakes if at all possible if you use a bike. I also use the same harness for swimming him in place in the pool, though rinsing the chlorine out is then needed. FWIW I've tried skateboarding with him and have ultimately decided it gives too little control for my taste.

I am considering springing for a carpet mill this summer, too, that could be used inside, though conditioning-wise those are supposed to be more like sprint-work, and less of an aerobic workout.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:12 pm

mtlhdr wrote:I live near Sacramento and the summers are warm here too (not Phoenix warm, but too warm to do any exercise outside of early morning). I run my dog off my mountain bike using an attachment called the Walky Dog Plus. I can set the pace or have the dog pull. I have access to dirt, gravel, and asphalt trails at the reservoir near my house. We take breaks to swim or free run along the lake depending on who's around. This works well for us given our situation.

That is a fine picture -18 degrees here this week . We aren't going anywhere and that JRT pup is going to turn me to alcohol. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:35 pm

That is a fine picture -18 degrees here this week . We aren't going anywhere and that JRT pup is going to turn me to alcohol. :)
That's great Sharon, a lot of people don't take advantage of situations like that. Proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devilscreekw

Post by Devilscreekw » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:03 am

X2 on the Walky Dog......bought one 2 years ago, and love it.

TweetersGsp

Post by TweetersGsp » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:53 am

I train my dogs year round, but when it gets closer to opening day I cut it from everyday 2-4 hours to every other day 2 hours. I take them for walks up to 10 miles over uneven terrain ( hills, valleys, etc), runs, bike rides, swimming, and water retrieving, tracking, and weighted dog vest when jumping so they get stronger jumps. I have the canine hiking packs, and I put those on, and all the gear needed for them while in the field on when I take them for the long walks.