Should I be concerned?

Jaggerbush

Should I be concerned?

Post by Jaggerbush » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:43 pm

On Thursday I found a few grouse in open PA woods hiding in old small blow downs. I thought this was odd, there wasn't any food around except ferns and very open woods. Maybe they were there because they're expecting snow to be there to bury in.

One thing happened that has me a little concerned, is we flushed a grouse and didn't even shoot at it, and when he flushed he seemed to have a broken wing. He flew about 100yds but was crashing into the brush. We called the dogs back and worked to where he when down. We had three dogs and they again found the bird. They all went on point but they were right on the bird. The one dog doesn't retrieve at all and the one other is 50/50. My dog is 100% if he finds it. My dog goes at the bird and catches it. Do you think my dog thought the bird was shot and was a downed bird or went against all his training and made it a completion with the other dogs? Could this be a result of hunting stocked pheasant? Am I over thinking this? He did hold a point again later in the day.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Should I be concerned?

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Over thinking.:)

Dog knew the bird was in trouble, unusual situation, don't worry about it.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:25 pm

I would agree. My dog is a year old. He is having an awesome inaugural season. He is staunch on point, but when a bird is wounded but still runs around, he has captured it for me then went back to his usual self.

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:44 pm

No....

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Jaggerbush wrote: Am I over thinking this?
Yes you are
Jaggerbush wrote: He did hold a point again later in the day.
All is right in the world

Pheasanttracker

Should I be concerned?

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:52 pm

You should just be happy you found a PA grouse. You are over thinking your dogs reaction. Grouse as you know are way more skittish then stocked PA pheasant. My dog can hold a point forever on a stocked pheasant but the grouse fly even when the dog stays locked