Cold weather and pups paws

getzapped

Cold weather and pups paws

Post by getzapped » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:52 pm

We have some really cold weather upon us in northern illinois. The temps dropped alot in the last 2 hours. I took the pup out to do her business and after about 10 seconds of standing on the ground her paws froze and she started whining. I scooped her up and warmed paws. In a few seconds she was fine. We are looking at highs of 0 degrees the next few days with snow on the ground. How do I get her outside without hurting her paws? Should I put a piece of cardboard in the grass for her to go on?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Cold weather and pups paws

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:53 pm

That's about -18 C up here - a piece of cardboard might be a good idea.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Her paws didn't freeze but she felt the cpld snow which is still the same temp it was this morning. She will learn to do her business and get back in a little quicker. Just don't take her where you have used salt since that is colder and could freeze her feet is she is in too long. Puppes have played in snow for years and I think you are trying to connect air temps to the snow.

Ezzy

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:35 pm

She has to walk over about 15' of concrete to get the grass. Last time I took her out I just carried her to the grass and she was ok. I wonder if the concrete bothered her. She was fine earlier in the day walking out to the yard. I never salt the back where the dogs go.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re:

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:08 pm

getzapped wrote:She has to walk over about 15' of concrete to get the grass. Last time I took her out I just carried her to the grass and she was ok. I wonder if the concrete bothered her. She was fine earlier in the day walking out to the yard. I never salt the back where the dogs go.
She was just uncomfortable but tomorrow may be completely different if she has something else on her mind. just don't worry about it as she will be OK.

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:16 pm

we had the same temps here in eastern Oregon last week and my pup 12 weeks did the same thing and would go to the door and squat immediately knowing she had to go out well kept making her go out after about the 3rd or 4th time she reliazed how much fun the snow was and suddenly the cold stopped bothering her this week temps jumped back up to 40 and everythings melting now she doesn't want to go out and get her feet wet in 2 inches of water shes hilarious like a cat tip toeing thru the water but since this afternoon she goes out again and ignores it the snow at 0 degrees is not going to be any problem for the few minutes it takes for the pup to do its buissiness or for short periods of play for that matter

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:44 pm

-2 for the high tomorrow. -40 windchills. Kids schools already called a snow day. I think it was just the concrete. We got a few more inches of snow yesterday and I didn't shovel where she goes. She is fine walking in the snow. I really dont know how they can bear it on the paws, I can barely get from the truck to the house without my ears hurting.