Bedding for outside dogs

uplander28

Bedding for outside dogs

Post by uplander28 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:45 pm

What is the best bedding for outside dogs? I have always used straw, and it breaks down pretty quickly. I heard once to mix in a little hay with it. Someone recently said to use all hay. Appreciate all replies.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Bedding for outside dogs

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:05 pm

Best thing I have found was second cutting reed canary grass. it is a grass hay that grows well in wet areas. Long pliable leaves that don't break down as quickly as some other hays and it lasts waaaay longer than straws... of which I like barley straw the best.

Ask your feed grain dealer or a hay supplier. Orchard grass ain't so bad either. It is a little finer and dries out and breaks up faster than reed canary, but again...better than straws.

One man's opinion.

RayG

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:56 pm

Best bedding for outside dogs is straw. Barley straw is my least favorite because it is very itchy. Oat straw is also itchy, but not as much so as barley. We handle both oat and barley straw every day during the Winter months. Wheat straw is what we use for dog bedding, maybe only because we work with it most every day in the Winter, so it is always available. But we would not use any of the types of hay that we put up around here for this purpose.
Yes, straw breaks down waaaay faster than anything else, and it therefore is alot more work....but I believe the question was "What is the best bedding for outside dogs?". Straw provides more insulation from the cold, and is softer to lie on.

Just another man's opinion.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:21 pm

hettmoe wrote:Best bedding for outside dogs is straw. Barley straw is my least favorite because it is very itchy. Oat straw is also itchy, but not as much so as barley. We handle both oat and barley straw every day during the Winter months. Wheat straw is what we use for dog bedding, maybe only because we work with it most every day in the Winter, so it is always available. But we would not use any of the types of hay that we put up around here for this purpose.
Yes, straw breaks down waaaay faster than anything else, and it therefore is alot more work....but I believe the question was "What is the best bedding for outside dogs?". Straw provides more insulation from the cold, and is softer to lie on.

Just another man's opinion.
A good grass hay can't be beat. People use to use Marsh Grass but there isn't much of that around anymore. Dry grass will absorb more moisture and hold it's integrity at the same time. Straw works OK but it is just a dried hollow stalk that is somewhat brittle and breaks and crushes easily losing the insulation properties it had and just does not absorb moisture well. I have used shredded paper and it works but is not great outdoors.

Ezzy

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:03 pm

I agree Ezzy -

Marsh grass is the best, but I can't find it either. The only marsh grass(hay) I have come across in several years is stuff treated with chemicals. Not sure what the stuff is used for, but I don't want that.

RayG

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:18 pm

I live at 7000 ft elevation with some pretty cold temps in winter. I use wood shavings that I buy in a bundle from my feed store. I pile it in the dog house deep enough that my GSP can burrow down in it and they seem to do well. Sometimes they occupy the same dog house which adds to the warmth.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:24 pm

Before I put heaters in my houses I used prairie hay. Brome as an alternative. Straw breaks down, pushes aside and doesn't allow a dog to "nest" down. It also loses its insulating qualities very quickly. If you have a well insulated box that is up off the ground, a dog door and a good hay inside a dog can stay pretty warm. Dogloos are junk by the way just an FYI .

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:33 am

We like Timothy hay, holds up well. Doesn't break down like straw. Gets cold up here in Idaho.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:52 am

I use cedar shavings. Of course I'm in East Texas so it doesn't get as cold here as some of y'all. I like hay & straw but it is just so much more messy & harder to clean up. I can wash the cedar chips right through the chainlink.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:12 am

I was always advised to avoid cedar with hunting dogs as it could affect their nose being around such a strong scent all the time.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:30 am

The particular genetic code of the bedding is less importent than good food, plenty of water and zero drafts....as to dog health and comfort in cold weather, imo.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:45 pm

I use 'Tea bag' bedding.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:46 pm

mountaindogs wrote:I was always advised to avoid cedar with hunting dogs as it could affect their nose being around such a strong scent all the time.
Been using it exclusively for 4 years in all 8 dog houses and all of the travel boxes, Mule box, etc. my dogs can still smell pretty good. Sometimes.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Prairie Hay

ShackWorkingDog

Post by ShackWorkingDog » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:14 pm

The best bedding you can use is wheat straw (clean out the house often, replace bedding weekly, if not sometimes more). Put cedar shavings or pine shavings on the bottom, THEN put the straw on top.