Crate size

Maverick 898

Crate size

Post by Maverick 898 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:37 am

Hello, picking up our new Brittany Male pup in a month. Looking for a crate for our den. Would like to section off area for puppy, but also use this crate for years to come...I know the sire and mom are just under 20" What size crate for comfort....also looking for a carrier for my SUV when hunting.....Thanks in advance......
Last edited by Maverick 898 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Crate size

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:29 am

I have pointers of various sizes. All but the biggest of them travel quite well in an intermediate sized crate. The smallest of them(around 35#) does fine in a medium crate. I try to get the crates with the steel grate over the ventilation cutout. I have found that some dogs will chew out the unprotected vent holes or slots in the plastic crates.

The medium crate is the largest one that comes with a handle on top. The intermediate is the next size bigger.

Your GSP should be(I think) right there size wise with an average sized pointer, so I think an intermediate would be a good long term choice. Block up a good third of it for the puppy so it does not have the temptation to relieve itself in its kennel.

All my dogs are outside dogs , so no experience there, but I know a lot of folks use wire cage enclosures in their homes because loss of body heat is not an issue in a heated home. The advantage is ease of maintenance and the ability to fold it up and out of the way when not needed.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:14 pm

For a pup , I get a crate than can be sectioned off as he grows - saves money. I only want pup to be able to stand up fully and turn around . This avoids messing in the crate.

For my older dogs - fully house trained - I give them a Long crate and able to stand up fully. I want them to be able to stretch out fully and think it's the couch .:)

Smaller crates for the car.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:30 pm

I try to buy the size crate for the job and not the dog. Overnight crates are always large, traveling crates smaller. I haven't ever needed a small crate for a puppy but do agree if you are experiencing problems with the pup a smaller crate will help.

Ezzy

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:04 pm

I use the medium for my Brittany. 38 lbs. She can stand and stretch. She finds it cozy and it fits across my truck rear bench seat and back seat of my accord.