Temperature and Dogs

Jidano3

Temperature and Dogs

Post by Jidano3 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:27 am

I've had a dog for a couple years now and don't typically hunt her under temps of 20 degrees or so. Not because I don't want to, just expressing caution. Never really read about temps and dogs. The Game Commission has just stocked birds again in our area, and I'm dying to get out there. The temps here have been around 12 degrees. Does the Temperature affect dogs as much as us? Obviously the running around keeps their body temps up, but was curious if there is a "danger zone." Thanks for any input.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Temperature and Dogs

Post by cjhills » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:47 am

Should be no problem with temps in the teens. Make sure the dog gets enough water and has a warm place for the trip home. It helps if the dog is carrying a little weight for insulation. If the dog seems cold or is shivering excessively get him warm. Hypothermia is a danger at extreme temps.
We never have a issue down to the minus teens. Some dogs seem to get cold feet. Just use a bit of caution and common sense, but above Zero should be no issue. Mine run at least an hour a day at any temperature, Sometimes -25 or 30, wind is a problem at real low temps.........Cj

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:16 am

Sled dogs do it all the time but they are conditioned for it. When not running keep them dry and out of the wind. Keep an eye on their feet.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:22 am

Should be fine. I like to bait the water the night before hunting... It seems my pup drinks less in winter. The feet can be an issue if snow gets stuck in between their toes!

zjohn14

Post by zjohn14 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:22 am

My shorthairs are both inside dogs an we've went grouse hunting the past 2 days with temps in the single digits an they were fine, but I agree with the above post. I know my dogs personality an can tell if there to cold or not. I think it's important that the owner knows there dogs, you can tell if somethings not right with him or her.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:52 am

DSCF0607_1.jpg
Both my Pudel Pointers become cross country ski dogs once the season starts- -10 on this one and he enjoys it immensley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:57 am

My dogs (GSPs) and I prefer temps below 20 degrees. I carry water in a Camelback for them,so it doesn't freeze.
Everyone else has given you good advice. :D

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:26 am

Yes- lots of water- a little home made energy bars for them- When we stop and built a fire to cook something- they are still rolling in the snow enjoying it- I do put Mushers secret on their feet though.

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:50 am

I've hunted pheasant in below 0 temps and the dogs handled the weather fine if they were able to stay dry. I do remember one hunt where a young Brittany just shut down. She just stood there and nothing would make her move We ended up having to carry her back to the vehicle. She was fine earlier and had helped put a couple roosters in the game bag, but then she broke through the ice in a wetland area. With the snow on the ground ice formed quickly on her and before we knew it she shut down.

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:00 am

Appreciate all the replies......She loves being outside in the cold, just being cautious. So it's off to hunt birds then....WOOO-HOOO!!!!!

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:16 am

I was hunting last January with my britt's when it was around zero without the wind chill and it did not bother them one bit. I also lost one for a day and it got to -11 that night and he was just fine when I found him the next night.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:20 pm

I don't take them out under 10 degrees Celsius, especially with a wind. It's not that that they aren't rarin" to go but I don't need the vet bills - frost bitten ears/testicles.
It has been -15 to -18 here C for 2 weeks. ( -4 F)They are all stir crazy.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:16 pm

wait I am one of those Yanks that fought the metric system but isn't 10 degrees Celsius 50 degrees to me ?

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:47 pm

UglyD wrote:Yes- lots of water- a little home made energy bars for them- When we stop and built a fire to cook something- they are still rolling in the snow enjoying it- I do put Mushers secret on their feet though.
I've heard of Mushers Secret, but haven't tried it. Will it keep ice balls from forming between a dogs toes? also how long will it last, before you have to reapply?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:21 pm

UglyD wrote:wait I am one of those Yanks that fought the metric system but isn't 10 degrees Celsius 50 degrees to me ?

You missed the minus sign : as I did on one. -10 :)

I'd pay to have it 50 degrees F right now.
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:22 pm

nevermind wrote:
UglyD wrote:Yes- lots of water- a little home made energy bars for them- When we stop and built a fire to cook something- they are still rolling in the snow enjoying it- I do put Mushers secret on their feet though.
I've heard of Mushers Secret, but haven't tried it. Will it keep ice balls from forming between a dogs toes? also how long will it last, before you have to reapply?
Some people rave about it , but I have not found it to be effective. I have to put it on just as exiting the car or the dogs lick it off before we get to where we are going and even then............

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Mushers secret works to a point- certainly not a cure all- I have to apply it multiple times . Boots are probably better. I have 1 dog that is not bothered at all and the other chews on the ice balls quite often. Just different feet. And yes I have to apply as we leave the truck or he will lick it off. I will probably try something else when this jar is gone.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:04 pm

My guy loves the snow I just keep his feathers trimmed to control the snowball build up. He's a big fan of rolling in it and burying himself when its deep enough - face is always covered. Been between -5 and -25C the past week and not slowing him down at all.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Deleted
Last edited by gonehuntin' on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:49 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:My guy loves the snow I just keep his feathers trimmed to control the snowball build up. He's a big fan of rolling in it and burying himself when its deep enough - face is always covered. Been between -5 and -25C the past week and not slowing him down at all.

What a goofball, love the spaniel, switch from Charlie Chaplyn to Charles Manson as soon as the guns come out.

Also trim the hair between the toes. Visoline helps when it is wet and then falls below freezing, under the legpits (armpits, whatever?) and between the toes.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:15 am

One thing I never worry about is temperature and my dogs. If I can stand it, they're happy in it. When I had my kennel in Idaho, the dog's all had insulated houses. We'd get a blizzard and I'd look out and there would be 20 lumps covered in snow on top of their houses. They don't have lace on their panties, don't worry about booties, jackets and other wastes of money for them. They're happier without them.

cbump

Post by cbump » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:50 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Should be fine. I like to bait the water the night before hunting... It seems my pup drinks less in winter. The feet can be an issue if snow gets stuck in between their toes!

What do you put in the water?