running & jumping

powbass@gmail.com

running & jumping

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:22 pm

:( I have a 9 mo GWP that loves to run & jump. When he greets another dog or person, he does so with an open mouth. He dosen't bite, but his long K9's catch on lose clothing, Today he took off and ran about 100yds to greet a couple that were walking inside the dog exersise, off leash field. The man came running and complained that
the pup jumped up and ripped his wife knit $200 coat. I am still letting him be a puppy,but it looks like its going to cost me. I don't know how to stop him from this habit.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: running & jumping

Post by shags » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Put the dog on a lead and teach him some manners. "Letting him be a puppy" doesn't mean allowing him to be wild, uncivilized, and rude. He seems long past due for some training.

I wouldn't free run that dog any where or any time other dogs or people are present, until you get him under control. He's going to hurt someone or their dog, or someone or their dog will hurt him. Plenty folks would not hesitate to plant a big old Size 10 in the head or ribs of any dog comes jumping up like that. Plenty dogs would hook their canines into his hide, too.

"Heel" and "here" will be your friends. Good luck to you.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:14 pm

Train the dog, stay out of dog parks. And the lady should have more since than wear good clothing to a dog park.

There are about 12 reasons dog parks are bad, your experience is at the bottom of the list.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:16 pm

I don't fault the lady, but I certainly do you. It is up to YOU to train the dog, he knows no better. The LEAST you could have taught him by nine months is to come when called. The jumping is obviously something you've let him do if not encouraged all of his life. To break it, call him to you, pat your chest, and when he jumps up, knee him HARD in the chest, flipping him over. Keep doint it until he will no longer jump on you, then have a friend of yours do the same thing until he is broken of it. I hate and won't tolerate rude dog's.

tobytx

Post by tobytx » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:54 pm

Wow people wear that kind of stuff at the dog park? Lol

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:25 am

I have turned my dogs loose in parks all over this country with no problem ever. From California to New York and many states in between. Sometimes its the only way to burn energy off these dogs that travel between cities. Heck I ran a Trial, took the same dog to Westminster and had to run another Trial the next week. Westminster is in down town NYC and no way was I gonna let him be stagnant that long. Did I worry about my $80K dog going to the nearest park? Nope. They have run in SoCal parks and beaches where PITS are the breed of choice. Sorry, but if youre dog is socialized and current on vaccines, ( and you are strong enough to break up what another dog starts), you should be fine.

I dont fear parks as my dogs are subjected to many dangers on a daily basis but with that said, the OP needs to get control of their dog if it will jump on strangers. I wouldn't pay it if you didn't witness it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:54 pm

x2

I have frequented dog parks for years with Jack Russell Terriers - especially in the winter as they can't manage the deep snow with the setters. Have had one bad moment, which was easily handled. Now -a- days there are many rules for dog parks and the "Regulars" will quickly get rid of an owner with a too aggressive dog.

Lady shouldn't be wearing expensive items to the dog park; at 9 months he's definitely a pup, but you need to work on teaching your dog to not jump up. I can assure you that he is not the first dog to jump on someone at the dog park. Don't be overly upset . Most folk at the dog park know that when they enter the gate , they might get jumped up on. If you do pay for the hat - which I'm not sure I would- ask for the hat.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:21 pm

if you cant train the dog your self.. it sounds like you might not be able to.. I would seek pro help it is going to coast you less in the long run and get the dog trained right.. you cant put up bad manners that can hurt someone.you owe it to your dog

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:00 pm

$80k dog, wow...

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:52 pm

You know I have traveled a little bit myself, never been in a dog park and never will. I have roaded in cities, traveled miles to get in the country, ran up and down staircases. But my dogs are not allowed to say "hi" to other dogs, my horses never use the community horse trough, and I go in the back door of the vet's office.

Call me a germaphobe, but my $80.00 dogs are important to me, and I know how lax some are on their vaccination schedules.

To the OP, although you need to get some control, remember he is a pup and Don't over react.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:40 pm

kcbullets wrote:$80k dog, wow...
That's a low ball figure :(

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:35 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
Based on?

I am sure the V market is different, but I don't think Shadowoak Bo would bring that and his stud fees and pups are $3,000+.

What is your stud fee?

So what is the high ball number?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:49 am

Neil wrote:
Based on?

I am sure the V market is different, but I don't think Shadowoak Bo would bring that and his stud fees and pups are $3,000+.

What is your stud fee?

So what is the high ball number?

How much did it cost to get Bo? To There ?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:02 am

A guess, $250,000+. I suspect he sold for less than $40,000. Interestingly, I witnessed the breeding. But he is making money now. The pups are selling as quickly as weaned.

But that is dodging the questions, how do you value your dogs?

What are the stud fees/pups going?

And if $80,000 is low ball what is the high range?

I let the brag go the first time, but the low ball quip was over the top. You brag like that you owe proof. What you spend on one has nothing to do with value. I sold one I had about $20,000 invested for $2,000 and was lucky to get it.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:01 am

Neil wrote:
I let the brag go the first time, but the low ball quip was over the top. You brag like that you owe proof. What you spend on one has nothing to do with value. I sold one I had about $20,000 invested for $2,000 and was lucky to get it.
That's true. It's not unusual for a person to have a field trial dog with a trainer for two years, have $20,000.00 in training,wash the dog out, and sell it for a nice gun dog for $2,500.00 - $5,000.00. There is no way to value a dog; they're worth what someone will pay for it and money invested or sentiment have nothing to do with it.

It takes a GREAT dog to be a good investment and there are very few around. Not only does a great dog have to win, they have to be able to reproduce themselves.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:57 am

Oh, I left out Bo's considerable winnings, for sure over $100,000.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:01 am

Using your formula for worth, the poorer the dog, the more training it takes, the more it is worth. Just don't think dogs or much of anything else is priced that way. My old truck is getting to the point it is worth more than a new one. Interested in buying it?

Ezzy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:50 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Using your formula for worth, the poorer the dog, the more training it takes, the more it is worth. Just don't think dogs or much of anything else is priced that way. My old truck is getting to the point it is worth more than a new one. Interested in buying it?

Ezzy
I have rescues that I treat the same so get off my $ss with your high horse.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:06 am

Is any of this helping the original post? Maybe we should all read the subject line to see what the OP wants before replying to a post . This person needs obedience advice, not a dog value pissing match.

Mike

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:34 am

MJB64 wrote:Is any of this helping the original post? Maybe we should all read the subject line to see what the OP wants before replying to a post . This person needs obedience advice, not a dog value pissing match.

Mike
I think the value of a dog allowed free-rein in a dog park germaine, as the man chided me for not doing so as he did with his $80,000 (low ball value) dogs.

I want to know how he arrived at that number.

True, I love and care for all my $80 dogs, but from a pure financial standpoint I might be more careful with one worth a thousand times more.

There had to be some reason he felt to state the value.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:49 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
I have rescues that I treat the same so get off my $ss with your high horse.
Yes sir. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. Forgive me please. And thank you for your considerate well thought out response. Hope this gets me off the hook or a$$ as you say.

We probably ought to get back on topic if we are going to help anyone that wants it.