Attachment

Pheasanttracker

Attachment

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:11 pm

Quick question. I have a 1 1/2 yr old Pudelpointer that is insanely attached to me. Seems to drive my wife crazy. The dog is a females and always has to be in sight of me. She, the dog, gets along great with my wife, kids, and our other two mutts ( shelter rescues) but once I get home she drops everything to be with me. I tell my wife it is somewhat normal for hunting dogs but none of my English setters or goldens were ever that attached. I think my wife is just jealous.
Any thoughts

DudeRN

Re: Attachment

Post by DudeRN » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:40 pm

my Britt is very attached to me. This is the fourth dog I have had in my life, but my first Brittany, so I don't know if this is typical. But she literally has to be wherever I am all the time. I work nights, and during the day when I am sleeping, she will sit or lie outside the bedroom door and whine until my wife lets her in. She would rather spend time with me while I am sleeping than with the rest of my family while they are awake. :roll:

I think it is because I am the one who gives her the quality time she is looking for. I take her for her daily off leash walks, we hunted together this fall, and she and I spend all of our days together while my wife and sons are at work and school. I get a lot of ribbing at work and at home about 'my girlfriend' :D

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Who feeds the dog? Who trains the dog? This sets up who the boss is.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:10 pm

I think your wife is jealous too- women are funny that way. :)

Mine would jump high mountains to get to me , but not cross the room to get to my husband, :)

He's not jealous ; men are weird that way. LOL

Pheasanttracker

Attachment

Post by Pheasanttracker » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:23 am

Thanks all. Yes I do primarily feed her and I do all the training and off leash walks and hunting with her. My kids say my that I am the dog's boyfriend because she whines when I am gone away for Army weekends

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:27 am

One of our males is very attached to me. The moment I get home from work JJ is by my side. No matter where I go in the house he is right there. I've been handling JJ a lot the last 2 seasons and all goes super. I did not train JJ my husband did. It took almost the 2 years though when Howie is in the field with JJ and I for JJ to bring a bird to me. He would walk right by me and deliver to Howie. Now, JJ doesn't think twice who he brings the birds to, me.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:15 am

You have to realize the PP's, DD's and Griff's bond with the owner much more than other dog's do. It's just a part of the breed's personality. One I like.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 am

Every GSP I've ever had has been like this including the one I have now (big time)..the difference in the nature of that attachment is in the upbringing and your interaction w/the dog which could lead to an unhealthy attachment if you are not smart about it (separation anxiety). Attachment is all fine and dandy but be careful to assure the dog does not train you and be deliberate to make sure your pup not only has a degree of autonomy but also knows how to deal w/pent up energy.

Pheasanttracker

Attachment

Post by Pheasanttracker » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:53 am

Great point on separation anxiety. Something I did discuss with Vet. Interestingly though that I got the dog at about 1 yr. did not have her from a pup. She was a started dog that was still with the breeder.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:41 pm

Pheasanttracker wrote:Great point on separation anxiety. Something I did discuss with Vet. Interestingly though that I got the dog at about 1 yr. did not have her from a pup. She was a started dog that was still with the breeder.
This can definitely make a difference. Some breeders realize that socializing that pup is important , others don't.

(Good point by tooling. )