Home Alone

evilstepdad

Home Alone

Post by evilstepdad » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:54 am

Hello, well I have a potential problem coming up in about 5 months...Maybe lol. I will be getting a pup at that time and my potential problem is this, how did you handle the pup during the day if you and your wife both worked? He will get lots of exercise after work, will be taken out first thing in the morning, fed etc. and then out again before we head to work but from morning to late afternoon (8-4) when we get home what is the best way to handle that?

We are going to crate train him but he will be in that at night and like I said out in the a.m. but for only about an hour so not much time. As of right now our only answer is back in the crate until we get home but that seems like way to long to be in the crate. After we get home he will be taken to one of several fields in the area and get to find out what the world is all about and he will get training every day so several hours out in the evening but worried about the night then out for an hour then back in for the rest of the day, any ideas?

Thank You

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Home Alone

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:13 am

Build a run with a good house in it for day time.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:18 am

We did an x pen in the garage, with his kennel ziptied into the opening. It seemed to work out fairly well, kind of prolonged potty training though.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:29 am

ezzy333 wrote:Build a run with a good house in it for day time.
That's a bingo.

RayG

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:41 am

I had the same issue. what i did was cleared out my garage of anything he could get into. mopped it up good, and put his kennel in there. i didnt mind if he used the concrete to go to the bathroom. I put screens on the garage window to vent. and it worked good. in the winter if it go too cold I put a space heater in there for him. I crate my dog at night too. good luck

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Have a friend come in at lunch and take the dog for a walk + some play time.

evilstepdad

Post by evilstepdad » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will have a 10X10 kennel on a concrete slab by the time he arrives but didn't know if at his young age being out there all day would be that great for him although once he was here for awhile and got to know everything a lot better my plan was to leave him out during the day especially in the spring and summer.

mbole

Post by mbole » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:00 pm

I bring my pup to work with me and leave him in the cab of the truck. Then I get to spend lunch with him.