Returning dog to breeder

cbump

Returning dog to breeder

Post by cbump » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:12 am

I've seen this mentioned a lot with reputable breeders; they say they will take a dog back if your circumstances change and you can't keep it for whatever reason. Also, when we see posts where someone is saying their dog isn't what they were hoping for or posts where someone is looking to sell their young dog, there is always a few comments such as "have you contacted your breeder?"

Just curious what the etiquette is here? If the dog is still young does the breeder (assuming they are the type that will take a pup back) usually give a person his money back? Or does the breeder take the dog back for free?
For the breeders on here that this has come up, how did the person approach you and how did you feel about the situation? I personally would feel ashamed for returning a pup, so I'm wondering if you as the breeder look down or judge those that end up not keeping them?

Just curious and thought it would be good discussion since I am unfamiliar with how this goes down.

Becassier

Re: Returning dog to breeder

Post by Becassier » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:44 am

In my contract I ask for the puppy to be returned to me, no I don't refund any money and I NEVER resell a pup/dog that I have gotten back.

I have driven hours to pick up a puppies (not from my bitch, but produced by my studs) I have had to rehome 1 puppy from one of my litters.

There is no reason to look down at people, it is a time to make a sad situation a happy one for the puppy. The situations I have had to deal with were marriage or health problems, I am happy when they call me. As a breeder it is a risk you take producing litters, that you may get one back and you better have a plan in place to help out when needed.

I have a network of friends that will help out, I am also involved with a no kill shelter that my friend runs and she is always there to help out in a emergency.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:13 am

cbump wrote:I've seen this mentioned a lot with reputable breeders; they say they will take a dog back if your circumstances change and you can't keep it for whatever reason. Also, when we see posts where someone is saying their dog isn't what they were hoping for or posts where someone is looking to sell their young dog, there is always a few comments such as "have you contacted your breeder?"

Just curious what the etiquette is here? If the dog is still young does the breeder (assuming they are the type that will take a pup back) usually give a person his money back? Or does the breeder take the dog back for free?
For the breeders on here that this has come up, how did the person approach you and how did you feel about the situation? I personally would feel ashamed for returning a pup, so I'm wondering if you as the breeder look down or judge those that end up not keeping them?

Just curious and thought it would be good discussion since I am unfamiliar with how this goes down.
I will take the puppy back for any reason and return the full purchase price including non-refundable deposit. I have had this happen three times out of many puppies. Two were from the same litter a year ago. We try very hard to get the puppy in a good situation, but occasionally things go wrong. It is more about the welfare of the dog. I do not want to leave him in a bad situation. I would have a serious problem with a dog that came back gun shy, since I feel that is caused by the owner. In all three cases I worked with the pups a little and resold them all are in very good situations so it was not a bad thing for anyone. One puppy we traded for a pup from a different litter and that has worked out great.
In all cases the buyer called and said they were having issues, we tried to work things out with suggestions but eventually we knew it just wasn't working and took the dog back. The buyer normally has to pay for the return, so if it is a expensive flight it can get costly.
To be painfully honest I do feel most (all) problems are caused by the buyer and while I would not say I look down on the buyer I am somewhat judgemental. I also blame myself for misjudging the buyer. Most problems can be worked out with some guidance and instructions.
I would certainly not want my buyers to feel ashamed for bringing the dog back. If they can't deal with the dog return it and move on.
With the dog in the previous post I think it is more of a training problem than anything else. I suspect you encouraged that behavior when it was a puppy. Probably with too much retrieving. Now it needs to be retrained. Your arm will fall off before you wear her out. Encourage and reward the behavior you want discourage and ignore what you do not want.
Incidentally, if the dog is older I may have a bit more of a problem with it's return. Thanks and Good Luck.........................Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

cbump

Post by cbump » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks for the insight cj. Regarding the other post, yes, my questions here stemmed from that issue, but im not thinking about sending my dog back at all. I was really just curious. I wouldnt do that and don't want to because I know she'll be an amazing duck dog someday. Agree it's a training issue. I just need some guidance on how to change it.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:48 am

cbump -

Listen to what gonehuntin' said. Really listen. It is up to you to instill discipline. No means no and down means down...until you say different. If the dog does not comply...in the crate and close the door. Done and done.

Discipline. You have expectations , the dog has desires. It takes discipline and repetition to make the two come together and it is the human part of the partnership that is going to have to create order and install the "off" switches.

You probably have helped develop some of the situation. No matter. It is up to you to make the dog do what you need and want it to do. Be patient, be persistent, be consistent. Be gentle but also be firm. Dogs come equipped with sad eyes and are very accomplished con artists. You cannot let them do what they want because if you do...ultimately no one will be happy.

Always remember :"What you allow, you encourage."

RayG

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:48 am

I have taken dogs back on several occasions as it is a condition in my contract with the buyer. I had a first recently. One of my customers bought a finished 2 two year old boy from me 7 years ago. He's a good man and keeps a summer home up here in the mountains. We always run / train our dogs together when he is up here. He is "hypoallergenic" and keeps his dogs in a kennel. The dogs are well cared for and hunt like heck every season. He called me in November and said "Bud" was getting too old and wanted to return him. Bud has a arthritic rear leg that prevents him from getting around like he used to. I was pissed, but had to abide by my contract and took him back. I am still friends with the customer and "Bud" is sitting here on the couch with me as I write this reply. I think if your going to breed dogs you have a responsibility to the dog for life even if the customer is not as committed.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:05 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I have taken dogs back on several occasions as it is a condition in my contract with the buyer. I had a first recently. One of my customers bought a finished 2 two year old boy from me 7 years ago. He's a good man and keeps a summer home up here in the mountains. We always run / train our dogs together when he is up here. He is "hypoallergenic" and keeps his dogs in a kennel. The dogs are well cared for and hunt like heck every season. He called me in November and said "Bud" was getting too old and wanted to return him. Bud has a arthritic rear leg that prevents him from getting around like he used to. I was pissed, but had to abide by my contract and took him back. I am still friends with the customer and "Bud" is sitting here on the couch with me as I write this reply. I think if your going to breed dogs you have a responsibility to the dog for life even if the customer is not as committed.
WOW!!

Seems common sense assumptions are just not so common...what the heck happened to just a handshake?? Naive I suppose..

No offense to anybody at all b/c we are all different of course - I just do not get the mentality of the "tool" that a dog is for some folks..literally just a tool & nothing more....sounds like Bud is in good company now.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:36 am

I think a breeder (reputable) would be happy to take the dog back under any circumstances. I say that because they want what's best for that dog. Will they "judge" you? Yep. But if you're contacting them for the right reason (doing what's best for the dog) then who cares?

Now, I don't know if I could remain friends with old Bud's previous owner - I think that I would have to terminate that relationship - but that's just me. Someone that could do that to an old dog - well, that's just not cool in my book. However, in the long run, Bud is much better off where he is now....so it ends up being all good for the dog in the long run - though kind of unreasonable to be running a doggy retirement home for this fellow. Shows who has class in this situation for sure.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:49 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I have taken dogs back on several occasions as it is a condition in my contract with the buyer. I had a first recently. One of my customers bought a finished 2 two year old boy from me 7 years ago. He's a good man and keeps a summer home up here in the mountains. We always run / train our dogs together when he is up here. He is "hypoallergenic" and keeps his dogs in a kennel. The dogs are well cared for and hunt like heck every season. He called me in November and said "Bud" was getting too old and wanted to return him. Bud has a arthritic rear leg that prevents him from getting around like he used to. I was pissed, but had to abide by my contract and took him back. I am still friends with the customer and "Bud" is sitting here on the couch with me as I write this reply. I think if your going to breed dogs you have a responsibility to the dog for life even if the customer is not as committed.
You are a good man.

I would have a tough time remaining friends in that situation, I would shun the guy.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:42 am

Neil wrote:
You are a good man.

I would have a tough time remaining friends in that situation, I would shun the guy.
Thanks, I guess I empathize with the guy because he goes into asthma fits if there is dog hair in the house. I would have taken the boy rather than seeing him go off somewhere and be disposed of. He probably should not be a dog owner with his "condition". He could hire a guide, he could afford it but he enjoys his dogs along with the training.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:07 pm

I have only had one litter and sure enough, I had one of the buyers contact me after the pups were a little over 2 years old and say he had changed jobs and was working 12 hrs a day (at night) and couldn't keep him anymore, I took him back without hesitation. He had only hunted twice in the two plus years that he had him, he has been several times since being back with us and is really a great dog. and no, I didn't give him his money back (actually he traded me a pistol for him but he didn't get it back).

On another note, i have taken a dog in that the guy was down on his luck and couldn't afford him and lived with someone that didn't want a dog around. I got him at 4 years old and kept him till about 8 yrs old when the guy contacted me and was back on his feet, so I gave him his dog back. He was a good hunting dog too.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:30 pm

Tooling wrote:
WOW!!

Seems common sense assumptions are just not so common...what the heck happened to just a handshake?? Naive I suppose..

No offense to anybody at all b/c we are all different of course - I just do not get the mentality of the "tool" that a dog is for some folks..literally just a tool & nothing more....sounds like Bud is in good company now.
Good grief, did you read the post? The dog was NINE YEARS OLD when the breeder took him back. That is rediculous. Takes a great breeder to do that, I'd have told the guy to forget it after nine years. I guaranteed dogs for two years, that's it. Two years is more than enough time to see if you like the dog and have clearances done. Hand shake, that will get you a good screwing by customers and that's about it. Written contract or let them buy somewhere else.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:43 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Tooling wrote:
WOW!!

Good grief, did you read the post? The dog was NINE YEARS OLD when the breeder took him back. That is rediculous. Takes a great breeder to do that, I'd have told the guy to go piss up a rope after nine years. I guaranteed dogs for two years, that's it. Two years is more than enough time to see if you like the dog and have clearances done. Hand shake my "bleep". That will get you a good screwing by customers and that's about it. Written contract or let them buy somewhere else.
Yes..I read the post & AZ Brittany Guy did a very honorable thing - I just ASSume it is understood..you buy a dog and it is now yours to keep in good health and to see it through to the end as it is now your responsibility...not return it once it is "old"..that would be a lease or a rental..seems common sense to me.

AZ Brittany Guy went above and beyond..

..not sure where you're coming from GH?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:05 pm

It is really about what is best for the dog....................Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:43 pm

Tooling, I'm sorry I though by your post you were criticizing the breeder. I think it's fabulous that he would take that dog back. No way I would have. Sorry to have misinterpreted YOUR post.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:16 pm

I returned a dog to the breeder once. She was about 1.5yrs old. had some aggressive behavior issues with our other dogs that wasn't seemingly working out. I have no idea what the breeders policy was, I don't think that it came up in the conversations when I bought her. I called him and explained the situation. I did not ask for money back, he did not offer. He came and got the dog. And yes, I felt stupid, embarrassed etc....Definitely not the highlight of my hunting dog career. Hopefully a scenario that I won't have to deal with again.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:51 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Tooling, I'm sorry I though by your post you were criticizing the breeder. I think it's fabulous that he would take that dog back. No way I would have. Sorry to have misinterpreted YOUR post.
Being from the softer gentler generation..my feelings are hurt…lol

I kid - no apology necessary at all but thank you..that’s the internet for you and I will admit to doing far too many things at once sometimes so I will offer an apology if my post was not clear.

cj is right..dogs welfare first..lots of integrity shown by Az-Bguy..not to say that refusing the dog would have been a lack of

…pretty sure most community colleges host sensitivity training courses..just sayin'

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:57 am

[/quote]

but he enjoys his dogs along with the training.[/quote]

Until it's not convenient any more. :|