Breeding

UglyD

Breeding

Post by UglyD » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:00 am

if one breeds his male do you see a difference in that dog afterwards- attitude- really basically sex drive- does he become what one may put as a "horny" dog ?
Right now a have 2 males- 1 just turned 7 and one is turning 2. Neither have been neutered- don't have and never have had a male dog problems- if the younger one breeds once is that going to change the dynamics between those two in any way ?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Breeding

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:19 am

UglyD wrote:if one breeds his male do you see a difference in that dog afterwards- attitude- really basically sex drive- does he become what one may put as a "horny" dog ?
Right now a have 2 males- 1 just turned 7 and one is turning 2. Neither have been neutered- don't have and never have had a male dog problems- if the younger one breeds once is that going to change the dynamics between those two in any way ?
No, not if you are the leader...................Cj

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:48 am

Thank you- they know the pecking order very well- one of them even knows he's behind the the wifes little dog in order of rank.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:25 pm

I would suspect that if they have not had a problem with each other by now, it ain't gonna happen. I had a father/ son pair who did not get along. But I knew what was going on by the time younger dog was 18 months old.

The older dog got progressively worse, even after the younger dog went to live with my son. I had to put him down. He was just not safe to be around at the end and I could not take that chance with my grandchildren, my daughter in law or my wife. I do think there was something medically wrong with the older dog, because that is the only time I have ever had to deal with those kind of aggressive behaviors.

RayG

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:00 am

Thank you for the reply Ray- both dogs are best buddies not even a small amount of aggressiveness in either dog- The older dog won't take anything from an outside dog- but always wants the encounter to be a friendly one from the start.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:25 am

You are not likely to have a problem, but I have had males that were used frequently (an average of 3 females a month, with at least 3 services each, meaning about 10 times a month for 4 or 5 years) that got cranky around other males. Never a problem in the hunting fields or at trials, but they did get possive/protective around their own kennel (breeding area).

Never saw any problem with dogs used occasionally.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:19 am

I have 3 males that live together in peace except when one of our females comes into heat. I move the female to a kennel on the other side of our property as the guys get competitive. Young males seem to loose their minds for about 2 weeks and the older one stays calm and only get's interested when the female is about to stand. I don't see any appreciable difference in behavior once they are no longer virgins. Maybe a little older and wiser like all of us hopefully become.