pigeons sitting on eggs

mowermandan

pigeons sitting on eggs

Post by mowermandan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:14 pm

I recently got 15 pigeons about a month ago now I have 3 pairs setting on eggs and 3 more pairs building nest ive had a heat lamp in with them since I got them 24 7 now that they are sitting when should I attempt to let the free fly after the eggs have hatched or will they return to eggs I planned on only letting half of a pair out so the mates would still be in the loft but I don't want to lose them any thought on this

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: pigeons sitting on eggs

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:43 pm

I personally would wait till they are feeding 10 or 15 day old chicks and are maybe starting to lay again and then just open the hatch and let them fly if they want. Hopefully you have had them where they can get out on the landing board in a cage so they can look around and get settled so they recognize home. If you wait that long then if you did lose some of them you would have squeakers to replace them with.

But you may be OK to do like you planned but think about what will happen if they don't come back. If one of the pair is lost and the eggs still have a week or so before hatching the other bird will many times just give up the nest. And if they do hatch them one bird will have problems trying to feed two little ones. Your call, but try to minimize the damage if you lose a couple.

Ezzy

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:42 pm

thanks ezzy ididnt consider the loss to the squabs well being just wethern they would return or not ill wait till eggs hatch and they are doing well ive got 13 birds left as I didn't get the door closed all the way a couple days agon and 2 escaped but out of 13 I have 6 nest being built so im assuming I have 6 pairs not bad for 15 birds that wernt paired when I got them im getting anxious to work my pup on them in field but iguess another 6 weeks wont change things with her she points "bleep" birds robins and doves when she finds them shes at 13 weeks now and Im getting anxious to start working her on pigeons but wanted to get them nesting snd figure out the pairs first just been letting her run at her own pace and have fun without much else while I have her out in the fields

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Relax, the pup is still a baby and there are a thousand other things more important right now than birds. You can introduce her by pulling flight feathers or better just run some duck tape around the bird so it can't fly. Do that once and then get back to the important stuff like socializing, housebreaking, exploring and all of the other stuff a puppy likes and needs. She will become a bird dog puppy in a few months, then you can start working her with a few birds and you will have young birds homing to your loft and the whole world will be a wonderful place for both of you.

Ezzy

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Yeah I know I've just read a lot of post that say she should be working birds at 12 16 weeks she's doing great at being a pup out in the field I don't pressure her at all just let her run and once in awhile kinda lead her towards "bleep" birds and such when I see them before her she does here pretty darn good but is starting to get a little stubborn off the check cord so I guess I'll work on that some more and start heel and won pretty soon she's learning mostly allowed and not allowed things right now but very gently cause she's quite soft on scolding and any kind of forceful decipher so most things are positive reinforcement pigeons will be much better in a month or two

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:06 pm

you can fly them now. but only late in the eve..they will go back in the loft before dark