How to correct

ben33127

How to correct

Post by ben33127 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:01 pm

My pointer has been doing great, but lately he will point the bird about 3-4 yards away just like I would like, then he starts creeping in. I think he is creeping in so he can see the bird, he hardly ever busts a bird, I guess its very rare, but, I would like him to not creep in where he tries to see the bird. How do I make him stop on the initial point? I know I can say whoa and make him not creep in but I do not want to make a habit of whoaing him every time he points….

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: How to correct

Post by shags » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Put him back on the checkcord and reinforce steadiness.

Some trainers use an ecollar on the flank to correct creeping, but unless you're more-than-average in experience, probably not a good idea.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:05 pm

This is one of the things that folks who use penraised birds have to deal with. A wild bird will simply not put up with being crowded and will flush wild. This teaches the dog manners and respect. You need to create a situation where the penraised bird also demands that kind of respect.

If you have or can borrow one or more remote launcher units, you can correct this in a relatively straightforward manner.

Basically you hunt the dog toward the launcher, bringing the dog in downwind and crosswind from the launcher. The instant the dog scents the bird it should stop...COLD. If it does not stop...launch the bird. and pop the checkcord. If the dog stops , but then moves so much as a toenail...launch the bird and pop the cord. The dog has to think that its movement caused the bird to flush.

I would do about three birds per session...or less. You could also change it up and alternate, doing some stop to flush drills with pigeons, again the idea being that the flight of the bird is the cue for the dog to stop, stand and grow roots.

RayG

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:20 am

What Ray said. Question,, do you know why the dog creeps in like that? Answer,, Because he can.