Exercising a young dog

cbump

Exercising a young dog

Post by cbump » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi. So, I goofed up today. I ordered a couple walky dog bike leashes so we could bike our dogs and they came in a few days ago. Today we got them out on them. They are pretty sweet and the dogs loved them!

This is where I may have messed up though. My lab is only 6 months old. We didn't have a plan but we were doing an out and back. We were resting at mile 3 when it dawned on me that when my vizsla was a puppy I read or heard somewhere that you should not run a dog before it's about a year old at least. It was sort of an oh crap moment but we were still 3 miles from the truck so we just took it easy on the way back. We took water breaks at 1.5, 3, and 4.5 miles. Did 6 miles total.

Obviously I won't go that far with her again for a while, but my question is can I road her on the bike for a mile or two every couple days? She likes it and I know it will keep her in shape/tired. Is this still too much pure running for a young dog? What are your opinions on hard exercise for pups?

Thanks

A few pics:

Well apparently pics are too big..

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: Exercising a young dog

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:41 pm

Forced running is hard on their joints. Free running and swimming are the best exercises for a young dog.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:44 pm

I would cut the bike out completely till its done growing. Puppies don't need "roading"

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:55 am

As a breeder I think "free running" is great. Just watch the pups tail and it will tell you when it has had enough. Resistance exercise should wait until the pup is around two years old (in my opinion). Brittanys that breed should be OFA certified (hips and elbows) and the Orthopedic Foundation will not certify them until 24 months old because they believe their muscular / skeletal system is not fully developed yet. I may be wrong but that is my rational.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:50 am

Concrete is also a no-no as is jumping into and out of the truck. I know I haven't followed that advice in the past, but you live and learn more every year. I figure if they don't allow dogs to compete in jumping in agility until 18 months old - then you probably shouldn't allow them to jump in and out of the truck until the knee joints are fully developed.