Grammy, Emmy, Oscar ... Uppie?

Scott Linden

Grammy, Emmy, Oscar ... Uppie?

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:53 pm

For a couple years, I've noodled around the idea of an annual awards series for the upland hunting world ... not only would it recognize great conservation work, products, leaders, etc. but it might raise the profile of our sport and generate additional support from the industry and even among fellow hunters. (All you cynics, gripers and pessimists sit on your tongues.)

Nope, I doubt I'd devote an entire episode of my show to it, but there are ways to get some TV exposure, possibly other media too. We probably wouldn't have a red carpet nor event, but might award "Uppies" (for Upland Nation - get it?) as part of an existing event such as Pheasant Fest.

Would you:

1. Participate in a nomination process?
2. Take a survey to vote for nominees?
3. Attend, should there be an event-within-an-event at say, Pheasant Fest?
4. Offer suggestions about all aspects of the idea? Constructive criticism welcome. Non-constructive criticism will be met with witty comments about your lineage, physical appearance, IQ or chosen dog breed's faults :)

Thanks.

setterpoint

Re: Grammy, Emmy, Oscar ... Uppie?

Post by setterpoint » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:49 am

I think thats a great idle.. any thing to bring hunting awareness in a positive profile.. is good for our sport

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Grammy, Emmy, Oscar ... Uppie?

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:51 am

I always wonder what GBE would think about such ideas as awards related to all that surrounds Birdhunting in the Uplands...I suspect he would see it driven by ego satisfaction or as someone's track to profit.
At first blush, the idea appears as tacky as fins on a 60s era Cadillac.
Conservation work is very often noted most appropriately now, Products get endlessly pimped today, Leaders would appear a bit like Politico appeal and driven by personality.

Is there a value in Exposure for upland hunting?
The only value I can see to exposure is in attracting younger hunters, pre-hunters and those who fill the deer ranks....which, in most ways, would be a good thing.
But, if Exposure involved an anchor-like weight a la Nugent then I expect any pluses would be offset by those turned off like a spigot....and from a dam(n)ing by association.
Exposure would be quite the balancing act and can always come with a bullseye.

One thing I witnessed over and over in attending NF Revision Plan meetings was that, re the Public, if one was seen as a hunter then the ideas advocated were often seen as only representing a need to have more stuff to kill...and ears slammed shut. Sadly, the ear-slamming worked the other way around with the old-growthers and college kids out to save a world they did not understand.
Listening proved wisest all around.
And, it proved best to advocate for habitat health, diversity and for all species, game and non-game, to counter that pre-conceived notion of self-interest in the words spoken.
It might be wise to view this idea from a Public standpoint re image and positives rather than soldiering thru unconcernered with how it could come across. The same, in a way, as how that birdhunting "world" competition tv show that saw "hunters" sprinting thru fields and ripping birds out of the mouth of dogs in order to beat-the-clock came across.

Awards shows would seem filled with self-interest and a self-focus....re helping all involved in the Uplands, I'm not sure the value is there...or on-going interest, as that carries the money required for the second award show.
Better use of Time and Dollars would be the outlets for Thank Yous, positive images and proven tracks to success that already exist.
However, if one wishes to court attention or obtain a mantle weight then having a strong connection to youth more than back pats for adults would appear the wisest path.
Good luck....best o' luck in seeing Time and dollars heading elsewhere than File 13.