It's quiet around here, so here's some puppy bird work.

jetjockey

It's quiet around here, so here's some puppy bird work.

Post by jetjockey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:56 am

I've been having fun with my 6 month old brit. So far, she seems like she has what it takes to be a bird dog. She's getting more and more confident in the field and extending her range every time I get her out. I'll continue to run her and let her have fun for the next couple months, then it's off to the trainer to knock out the yard work so she can hit the ground running at summer camp in SD sometime in July. With any luck, she might even turn out to be a trial dog.

http://youtu.be/T2GSDVHqncc

DudeRN

Re: It's quiet around here, so here's some puppy bird work.

Post by DudeRN » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:22 pm

that looks like fun! nice pup :D

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:19 pm

Great video!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:25 pm

Dandy pup! What's her breeding?

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:44 pm

She's out of my female.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:13 pm

Looking good jetjockey

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:40 am

rkappes wrote:Dandy pup! What's her breeding?
Im done working now, so I can respond a little more specific. This was a breeding that was planned for a couple of years, but timing never worked out until last summer. Recent trial results made the breeding icing on the cake though. My puppy is out of last years NFC, who also won the Purina All Age award, and my female, who finished third in the Purina last year. My females brother, and littermate, won the Tri-Tronics shooting dog award for the top 1hr shooting dog in the country last year as well. So it was basically a cross between the lines of last years top AA and SD in the country. The breeding looks great on paper, but like any breeding, that only gets you so far. Hopefully the pups turn out as good as the parents. So far, I'm happy with my pup from the litter.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:36 am

jetjockey wrote:
rkappes wrote:Dandy pup! What's her breeding?
Im done working now, so I can respond a little more specific. This was a breeding that was planned for a couple of years, but timing never worked out until last summer. Recent trial results made the breeding icing on the cake though. My puppy is out of last years NFC, who also won the Purina All Age award, and my female, who finished third in the Purina last year. My females brother, and littermate, won the Tri-Tronics shooting dog award for the top 1hr shooting dog in the country last year as well. So it was basically a cross between the lines of last years top AA and SD in the country. The breeding looks great on paper, but like any breeding, that only gets you so far. Hopefully the pups turn out as good as the parents. So far, I'm happy with my pup from the litter.
Heck of a breeding. Should be a good one, best of luck!

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:53 am

nice looking pup. thanks for the post - perfect video for a bitter cold February morning

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:39 am

Well, I got a text from my trainer about my little brit a few days ago, which forced me to call him for details. The text read "Sorry for your luck, you have another field trial dog. She likes the open ground!" I immediately picked up the phone for more details and so far, it looks like we may have succeded in our goals for this litter. He said that up till now, we have improved on almost everything we were shooting for. A little more range (at least at this stage), more animated points, and the pups seem to love to go with while still hunting. They have lots of confidence as well, especially considering they are just 11 months old. If the litter continues to improve as they grow up, and turn out like we hope, we will possibly rebreed one more time, for my females final litter. I was thinking about breeding to another sire just to see what was produced, but if this litter turns out, I think we will have to go back to the same sire.