Dog Size Question

Gunner2292

Dog Size Question

Post by Gunner2292 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:11 pm

Hello Everyone,

My question was about my GSP pup. He is almost a year old and probably weighs in at 50 to 55 pounds. When do males fully mature, because I was under the impression that males got quite a bit bigger. No issues if he doesn't, he is a phenomenal little hunter, but I was curious as to what I should expect about his size? The Dam was 55# and the Sire was 75#.

Thank you for your help!!!

Shae

zjohn14

Post by zjohn14 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:29 am

Our male is the same way, he's 20 months old and weighs 55. We feed him Purina pro plan sport 30:20 protein:fat which has helped him to gain and keep a few lbs on him over the past few months. Our experience is that Gsp's along with a lot of other breeds will reach their full maturity around 3-5 years old, they will reach their full height around 2yrs and begin to fill out after that. But of course this will always be subject to each individual dog, as they are all unique and have their own traits.

USMC

Re: Dog Size Question

Post by USMC » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:57 am

Most dogs reach their height by the time they are 12 months old. After that they will "fill out" and gain two to three pounds. If your GSP is 55lbs now at 12 months, he will probably be 57lbs with good exercise and nutrition by the time he is 24 months old.

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:49 am

Okay thanks for the help! I was just curious because he's my first GSP and I wasn't sure if it's abnormal. Also does anyone have any experience with pigment loss? The right side of his nose is pale white ish. I heard could be the plastic in his bowl to just "winter nose"?

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:59 pm

I don't expect he will grow much more than what he is now - perhaps a bit but not much. Consider yourself lucky that he's not 75 lbs!

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:13 pm

my dog is about to be 2. he is about 55 lbs. doesn't look like he will get any bigger. vet said he was on the thin side so we started to free feed him, but he eats as he pleases and stays thin. Im grateful he isn't 75 lbs or more lol

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:13 pm

A year is about it. He'll just get a bit thicker. Don't worry though - there's nothing too big for a 55lb dog to carry.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:08 pm

"He is almost a year old and probably weighs in at 50 to 55 pounds".

Sounds like you haven't actually weighed him. Dogs grow at different rates of speed. He is probably done growing any taller, but he will likely grow in width/mass. Size can vary tremendously within a breed though, so no way to know how big he'll be when mature.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:12 am

My male Pointer is much smaller (about 37 pounds)

At first I was disappointed in his size, but now I love it. Less feed, smaller stools, easier to load and unload, less wear on his joints...

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:50 pm

displaced_texan wrote:My male Pointer is much smaller (about 37 pounds)

At first I was disappointed in his size, but now I love it. Less feed, smaller stools, easier to load and unload, less wear on his joints...
My last GSP was around 50 pounds. I was initially disappointed that he wasn't bigger, but as you say, I actually ended up being happy about it. I am hoping my new pup isn't much larger fully grown. 55 pounds would be perfect for me.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:39 am

luvthemud wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:My male Pointer is much smaller (about 37 pounds)

My last GSP was around 50 pounds. I was initially disappointed that he wasn't bigger, but as you say, I actually ended up being happy about it. I am hoping my new pup isn't much larger fully grown. 55 pounds would be perfect for me.
Another plus I've noticed is that if it's also a "pet" the smaller size is less intimidating to people. A large, energetic dog can be intimidating to people, but when it's smaller they see it as cute.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:46 pm

displaced_texan wrote: Another plus I've noticed is that if it's also a "pet" the smaller size is less intimidating to people. A large, energetic dog can be intimidating to people, but when it's smaller they see it as cute.
I'm not so sure. Mine is 40lbs and crazy energetic.... people find him quite intimidating despite his size.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:
displaced_texan wrote: Another plus I've noticed is that if it's also a "pet" the smaller size is less intimidating to people. A large, energetic dog can be intimidating to people, but when it's smaller they see it as cute.
I'm not so sure. Mine is 40lbs and crazy energetic.... people find him quite intimidating despite his size.
Ever had one that's almost 70 pounds and crazy energetic? It's worse.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:55 am

It would seem I had the same questions. I'm guessing your pup will finish out at 60-65 lbs. I have a 70 pounder(26"), I like his size but I don't know that you would want one larger than that. I guess those fellers who came up with the breed standard knew what they were talking about...

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:05 pm

Wow great looking dog!!!

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:51 pm

I prefer smaller dogs. A 55 lb, hard hunting GSP would be a great dog for me.
I think you should count your blessings. Sounds like you may have gotten lucky with that dog.
Good luck with him.