Relocating on Wild Birds

mmcspadden

Relocating on Wild Birds

Post by mmcspadden » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Check this video out below of my 16 month old GSP. Notice how my pup relocates on the wild quail that are running. I am sure this would not be good in a trial, but she does pin the birds in and we get the birds.

I am wondering what you guys would recommend as far as training going forward?
Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpVGs0T ... e=youtu.be

Stoneface

Re: Relocating on Wild Birds

Post by Stoneface » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Seriously nice work, man. You ought to be proud... especially for such a young dog. Don't discount trials so quick, though. Cinna has done well this season and on several points she has relocated (as long as I wasn't in front of her to flush) several times to pin a bird. There's a big difference between working a bird and flushing a bird, but you have to know what you're looking at or it doesn't look like such a big difference.

mmcspadden

Post by mmcspadden » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks for the complement, but I really didn't teach her this. The birds did and/or she was born with it. Very good to know about the trial as well. I haven't ran any, but was considering trying one out this spring. What trial competition would you recommend for a hunter and for fun?

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:05 pm

mmcspadden wrote:Check this video out below of my 16 month old GSP. Notice how my pup relocates on the wild quail that are running. I am sure this would not be good in a trial, but she does pin the birds in and we get the birds.

Thoughts?

From what I saw in the video there is nothing the dog did as far as relocation that would have hurt the dog in a trial.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:17 pm

Postby mmcspadden » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks for the complement, but I really didn't teach her this. The birds did and/or she was born with it. Very good to know about the trial as well. I haven't ran any, but was considering trying one out this spring. What trial competition would you recommend for a hunter and for fun? quote

Nice dog work. If the birds had flushed on their own, and then the dog relocated, he wouldn't have placed- at least that's what the judge told me when my dog did that. :)

If I wasn't old and could start over, I would do Cover Dog Trials , but I don't know if they have them in Texas.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:48 pm

The hound did what it takes to put birds in the bag
I believe the intent of trials is to mimic a good hound doing just that but I could be wrong
Regardless, give your dog a scratch behind the ears for me...

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Fun stuff! Lots better than my 8mo. pup! He prefers to just relocate the birds!! :lol:
http://www.vimeo.com/119515231

buddyboy

Post by buddyboy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:10 pm

I got the chance to hunt in South Texas this past weekend and I saw birds moving like that. That is nice work from your
young dog.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Hard to tell from the video, but didn't seem to me he was relocating on the birds. He did move forward quite a bit but then broke and came around to where he did establish a solid point. i would guess he scented to birds to far off and wasn't real sure. Great job of following it up and pinning them though. Of course hard to tell from the video. Good dog work either way!

mmcspadden

Post by mmcspadden » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:30 am

DGFlavor....

You dog scented the birds way out. Your pup has a good nose and will learn. That's about where I started. The first few time out on wild birds was terrible. MY pup busted so many covey of quail. All I can say is keep putting your dog on birds.

codym

Post by codym » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:44 am

Yea mr. Flavor just keep at I'm sure you will figure it out one of these days! Jk sorry I couldn't resist!!!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:13 am

mmcspadden wrote:DGFlavor....

You dog scented the birds way out. Your pup has a good nose and will learn. That's about where I started. The first few time out on wild birds was terrible. MY pup busted so many covey of quail. All I can say is keep putting your dog on birds.
I'm not sure he's the learnin' kind - more of the all braun no brains type like the rest of my pack!! :lol: :lol:
Yea mr. Flavor just keep at I'm sure you will figure it out one of these days!
I'm not sure I'm the learnin' kind either!! :lol:

Hard to beat the fun of following along behind the pups though ain't it!!? :mrgreen:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:59 pm

DGFavor wrote:Fun stuff! Lots better than my 8mo. pup! He prefers to just relocate the birds!! :lol:
http://www.vimeo.com/119515231
That was great. That's definitely the way to let the birds do the teaching. So envious of your land. :)

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:27 pm

That dog is not worth the food you feed him... I will send you my address and you can ship him to me.... :D

That's some fine work indeed! It's all him you cannot train that...

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:45 am

Both terrific videos...thanks.

DGfavor, way to laugh off that covey bust. Your dog will always have fun with you with that kind of patience~

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:51 am

mmcspadden wrote:Check this video out below of my 16 month old GSP. Notice how my pup relocates on the wild quail that are running. I am sure this would not be good in a trial, but she does pin the birds in and we get the birds.

Thoughts?

I did not se a dog relocate. I saw a dog that recognized the birds were running and went out, around and cut them off. trapping them between himself and the hunter.

That, to me is not only acceptable dog work...it is AWESOME dog work.

One would HOPE to be blessed with a dog that had the desire to want to hunt with you and for you AND the brains to figure that out. I have seen a couple that knew how...just a couple.

As far as going forward, I think I'd keep my mouth shut and let the dog do pretty much what it thought it should do.

RayG

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:39 pm

Another good post Ray and I totally agree.

Charlie