Whining

MNM

Whining

Post by MNM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:00 am

Will she ever stop whining? I have a 9week old puppy who I have had 2 weeks. She will whine, bark, and howl while crated at night and also during the day when put outside to play and potty. I thought with time she would get better but still about the same. Will she ever get better or am I looking at this for the rest of her life? She will even whine when inside at night unless put her on the couch next to me or if she is sleeping in her bed on the floor.
Thanks

getzapped

Re: Whining

Post by getzapped » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:05 pm

I just went through this. How long have you been trying the crate? I kept up with the night time crating, put her in the crate during the day for short periods of time, I put soft blankets and treats and toys in the crate with her. The hardest part was ignoring her while she was whining. You can't talk to them because that starts the whining process over. You just can't acknowledge them at all. I think it took her about 3-4 weeks until she would just go in the crate and lay down, unless we are eating then she will still whine for a few minutes then stop. My routine was put her in crate at night, she would whine, every 1.5 hours I would take her outside to go to the bathroom and back into the crate. She would eventually cry herself to sleep for a little bit. Wake up at 6 let her outside and play for a little bit, back in the crate while everyone get ready for school/work. She now goes in the crate at 11pm and usually wakes up to go to the bathroom at about 3am then right back in the crate to sleep. Until my alarm goes off, and she now knows what that sound means.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:46 pm

Ignore it for now, if it's still going on in a month, then you'll have to take measures. Many reasons breeders these days are getting pups into new homes no sooner than 9-10 weeks old - maturity is just one of those reasons. The last two pups we've had really have had no whining issues - they were a bit more mature and really handled crating and potty training well.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 pm

MNM wrote:Will she ever stop whining? I have a 9week old puppy who I have had 2 weeks. She will whine, bark, and howl while crated at night and also during the day when put outside to play and potty. I thought with time she would get better but still about the same. Will she ever get better or am I looking at this for the rest of her life? She will even whine when inside at night unless put her on the couch next to me or if she is sleeping in her bed on the floor.
Thanks
Don't give in , even once or you are back at step 1.

MNM

Post by MNM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:22 pm

We've had her about 2 weeks and hope gets better soon. We have put her in the washroom at night with the door closed so can get some sleep. During the day, when weather permitting I am leaving her outside and just letting her whine it out. I have gone out a few times to tell her to be quite, but will stop that if making it worse.

bagofdonuts

Post by bagofdonuts » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:44 pm

You could try the "whinning creates an earthquake" treatment. If you can do it and the dog not see you shaking the crate and you don't say a word. Pup doesn't need to associate it with you but instead with the whinning , the pup will learn that stopping the whinning turns off the earthquake. Worth a try.

bagofdonuts

Post by bagofdonuts » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:49 pm

When the pup is old enough for the chain gang you will be able to stop it with the use of a figure eight cord around muzzle.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:12 pm

My dogs are all outside dogs, so I only deal with this type stuff when they are very young. When I get a puppy, it is generally in early spring. I keep it inside until it is warm enough to go out and stay out.

I've gotten in the habit of setting up a cheap, small radio, tuned to an all night radio station, at a very low volume.

Seems to settle them down pretty well.

RayG

bagofdonuts

Post by bagofdonuts » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Radio's a good idea. Better yet, run a dog training dvd all night and when its over they'll be trained :D

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:45 pm

I feel your pain. We put up with a week and a half of pretty much solid whining/barking/howling. As mentioned, ignore ignore ignore. I would put my guy in the crate throughout the day and when he was quiet, I would let him out. He is 9.5 weeks old and I can say he finally "gets it". When I put him in his kennel he lays right down and aside from a little whimper once in a while, he is quiet. If he does do any sort of whining, it means he has to go outside extremely bad. It has been frustrating because my last pup took right to his crate. One night/day of whining was about all we had to deal with with him.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Assuming you don't live in an apt., don't take pup with you when you go out. Crate pup. 3-4 hours of whining/ barking and no one coming = a quiet pup sooner, with little discomfort for you.