Pointing vs. Flushing

ESS13

Pointing vs. Flushing

Post by ESS13 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:28 pm

A close friend of mine wants to get a dog but I am clearly bias towards flushing breeds. I have zero experience with pointers. We will be hunting mostly stocked birds on the east coast near the MET area of NYC. I know he is fairly interested in a GSP or a setter and I don't want to talk him out of a decision he makes on his own. Can you guys post your likes and dislikes about either Flushing or pointing breeds? I want to give him some better input. Thanks.

mnaj_springer

Re: Pointing vs. Flushing

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:43 pm

Tell your buddy to see different dogs work, research lines, and then get whatever he wants. One is not better than the other, but one may be better for him.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:24 pm

+1 on the seeing both kinds of dogs work.

They do it differently, but both will put birds in the bag of the hunter.

I grew up hunting behind pointers, so that is my natural preference. They are something of a "lazy man's" hunting dog. When they do it right, they go out find the bird, point it and wait 'till you get there to flush and shoot. The pointed bird very often makes for pretty high percentage, close in shots.

A flushing spaniel or retriever, when they do it right, will follow the scent and push the bird into the air without hesitation, so they typically will hunt closer to the gun. Since they harass the bird into the air, and the dog is right under the bird as it gets up, the shots tend to be more challenging and farther out there.

Pointing breed dogs typically need a good bit more training and re-training to do the things they are supposed to do...the way they are supposed to do them. so, if you enjoy training and messing with dogs in the off season, the pointing breeds give you a reason. The flushing breeds do not require that amount of training to be effective in the field.

If a flushing breed pushes too hard, you can usually still get a shot and bag the bird because the dog is generally working inside gun range. If a pointer blows through a bird, it is, more often than not, out of gun range to start with so you have no chance.

Both types of dogs make awesome pets the rest of the year, which is probably the MPOST important thing.

RayG

tannerismyhero

Post by tannerismyhero » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Get a pointing lab. Best of both worlds!!

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:24 pm

I made the switch from flushers to pointers a couple years ago. I still enjoy hunting with my buddy's labs or springers, but really enjoy hunting behind a pointer now. I could go on and on but will simply reiterate what has been said....hunt behind both and decide what you like better.

I will add, one reason that I chose to go with a pointer was because I thought it would help me introduce my young daughter to the sport. She loves watching the dog work and gets super pumped when he goes on point!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:09 pm

tannerismyhero wrote:Get a pointing lab. Best of both worlds!!
The only pointing lab I've been around was a completely and totally worthless dog.

But shouldn't a pointing lag be just a pointer, not a "best of both worlds"?

deke

Post by deke » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:20 am

displaced_texan wrote:
The only pointing lab I've been around was a completely and totally worthless dog.

I could say the same thing about the gsp's that I have been around, my pointing lab will hunt circles around them. You can find a dud in every breed, usually you don't have to look very far either.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:10 pm

deke wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:

I could say the same thing about the gsp's that I have been around, my pointing lab will hunt circles around them. You can find a dud in every breed, usually you don't have to look very far either.
I think it has been well proven over many years that you find what you are looking for.

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:46 pm

If he's hunting mostly pen raised birds a flusher would be fine.

For my type of hunting, a pointing dog will generally produce more opportunities to get a shot, but when the birds are plentiful, hunting behind a flusher is more fun. Those unexpected flushes are a lot of fun.

I'm sure your buddy would be happy with either. But I would caution you to not hunt a pointing dog with a flushing dog, especially if the pointing dog is young. If you two plan to hunt together a lot, IMO, that would be something to consider.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Aslowhiteguy wrote:If he's hunting mostly pen raised birds a flusher would be fine.

For my type of hunting, a pointing dog will generally produce more opportunities to get a shot, but when the birds are plentiful, hunting behind a flusher is more fun. Those unexpected flushes are a lot of fun.

I'm sure your buddy would be happy with either. But I would caution you to not hunt a pointing dog with a flushing dog, especially if the pointing dog is young. If you two plan to hunt together a lot, IMO, that would be something to consider.
Why is that.....................Cj

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:13 pm

Aslowhiteguy wrote:If he's hunting mostly pen raised birds a flusher would be fine.

I actually think the opposite. If hunting mostly pen raised birds, a pointer is the better choice in my opinion.

When we go to the preserve with the flushing dogs, they end up grabbing birds that are sitting too tight, especially late in the season when there is snow cover. I really don't care cause I go out for the fun of it, but when people are paying money to shoot at birds and the dogs prevent them from getting a shot off, it can be a disappointment for some. With a pointer, those tight sitting birds equal great training opportunities and photo moments.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:20 pm

luvthemud wrote:

I actually think the opposite. If hunting mostly pen raised birds, a pointer is the better choice in my opinion.

When we go to the preserve with the flushing dogs, they end up grabbing birds that are sitting too tight, especially late in the season when there is snow cover. I really don't care cause I go out for the fun of it, but when people are paying money to shoot at birds and the dogs prevent them from getting a shot off, it can be a disappointment for some. With a pointer, those tight sitting birds equal great training opportunities and photo moments.
I feel that this isn't that big of a disappointment. I would simply accept the dogs retrieve on a trapped bird with a big smile. Re-cast my dog and then replant the bird.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:48 pm

deke wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:

Doesn't answer my question, how is it the best of both worlds?

The worthless one I hunted with was a trainer problem, not a breed problem. Dog ranged out to about 3-4 feet. I'd always assumed that they pointed like a pointer, not a pint/flush combo.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:54 pm

It wasn't me that said they were the best of both worlds, I will be the first to tell you that my dog lacks the grace of a true pointer. He doesn't point every bird either, usually when birds are sitting tight he points and if they go for cover he will flush. I never trained him to point because I like hunting over flushers, but I am sure it would be quite easy.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:11 pm

deke wrote:It wasn't me that said they were the best of both worlds, I will be the first to tell you that my dog lacks the grace of a true pointer. He doesn't point every bird either, usually when birds are sitting tight he points and if they go for cover he will flush. I never trained him to point because I like hunting over flushers, but I am sure it would be quite easy.
Oh, I know it wasn't you.

But you did answer my question, thanks!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:25 pm

I think he'd be happy with either. If I was hunting strictly stocked birds and not heavy cover I'd probably go with a pointer. If I was hunting mostly heavy cover, cattails, etc...I'd go with a flusher. Like stated above, if possible go watch the dam and sire in the field. I personally like mid to small size dogs. I've been around American Britts my entire life so I've always been partial to pointing dogs, especially Britts. My current dog has changed my opinion on flushing dogs, now I'm really loving flushing dogs. Whether a pointer or a flusher, they'll get the job done, they just do things differently and some breeds are just better at certain things.

We hunt a flusher and pointer together with no problems. When my dads dog points I call my dog to heel.

Whether a staunch point or hard flush it will get his heart a pumpin'!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:59 am

deke wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:

If you had a broken water line under your house, would you call a plumber or an electrician?

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:17 am

Are there new or upcoming hunters in the near future? If so pointing much safer for newbee...

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:24 am

I do not get the connection between the plumber,electricion, pointing dog and flushing dog.
We shoot more pheasants over the flushers. more huns and Sharptails over the pointers..........Cj

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:00 am

Why would you shoot more huns and sharptails on a pointer? Hunting grouse in these parts has taught me that the flightiest "bleep" bird out there is a grouse. Rarely it seems do they hold tight enough to get a point. Often times they will flush 20-30 yards ahead of my dog, that makes for long shots.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:56 am

Gunner2292 wrote:Why would you shoot more huns and sharptails on a pointer? Hunting grouse in these parts has taught me that the flightiest "bleep" bird out there is a grouse. Rarely it seems do they hold tight enough to get a point. Often times they will flush 20-30 yards ahead of my dog, that makes for long shots.
Huns and Sharptails tend to flush wild if the flusher gets too close. They hold better for a dog that will point a ways off. At least that has been my experience. What kind of grouse are we talking here........Cj

deke

Post by deke » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:23 am

DonF wrote:If you had a broken water line under your house, would you call a plumber or an electrician?
I would crawl under the house and fix it myself? But I think I get what you are saying.

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:32 am

cjhills wrote:
Gunner2292 wrote:Why would you shoot more huns and sharptails on a pointer? Hunting grouse in these parts has taught me that the flightiest "bleep" bird out there is a grouse. Rarely it seems do they hold tight enough to get a point. Often times they will flush 20-30 yards ahead of my dog, that makes for long shots.
Huns and Sharptails tend to flush wild if the flusher gets too close. They hold better for a dog that will point a ways off. At least that has been my experience. What kind of grouse are we talking here........Cj
I hunt sharpies. I agree they would hold better for a dog that points way off, but don't most pointers usually hold point on game maybe 10 to 15 yards away max? This is my first pointing dog so I'm curious, because Id love to get him to point a long way off for grouse.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:53 am

Gunner2292 wrote:
cjhills wrote:
I hunt sharpies. I agree they would hold better for a dog that points way off, but don't most pointers usually hold point on game maybe 10 to 15 yards away max? This is my first pointing dog so I'm curious, because Id love to get him to point a long way off for grouse.
No, mine learn to point at first scent generally 20 t0 50 yards. It can be hard to find the birds if they point too far off. Coveys are usually pointed at a distance 30 to 100 yards. Hun will flush wild if they hear your voice so you need to be quiet..................Cj

bagofdonuts

Post by bagofdonuts » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:36 pm

Its unanimous. Get one of each.

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Hmm sounds like I need to start some training on long distance pointing. I just need to get ahold of more pigeons now. I swear they are hard to find around here lol.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:37 pm

You guys in South Dakota have SO many birds we don't have here , yet we have LOTS of pigeon at 1-2$ a bird. Interesting world.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:05 pm

Gunner2292 wrote:Hmm sounds like I need to start some training on long distance pointing. I just need to get ahold of more pigeons now. I swear they are hard to find around here lol.
Get him out on all the wild birds you can, When it is legal you do not have to shoot them. Stop the chase if he is so inclined. Where In SD I have Lots of pigeons. ...........................Cj

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:24 pm

I'm in Rapid City lol, so the far west end. I've had my dog out hunting probably 2-3 times a week last hunting season. Definitely need to keep training though. I used to get pigeons from the local Cabela's they have a pigeon problem and would catch them and they would leave them in a box for me but I don't think I will be able to this year.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:28 pm

DonF wrote:
deke wrote:
displaced_texan wrote: The only pointing lab I've been around was a completely and totally worthless dog.

If you had a broken water line under your house, would you call a plumber or an electrician?
I'm trying to figure out if the pointing labs are a plumber, electrician, or handy man.

The one I was exposed to was so worthless as a hunting dog it was a maid in the above situation, but I realize that that dog isn't representative of the "breed".

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:04 pm

Gunner2292 wrote:I'm in Rapid City lol, so the far west end. I've had my dog out hunting probably 2-3 times a week last hunting season. Definitely need to keep training though. I used to get pigeons from the local Cabela's they have a pigeon problem and would catch them and they would leave them in a box for me but I don't think I will be able to this year.
Forget the pigeons. Train him on wild birds. I bring mine out there all the time....................Cj

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:11 pm

I do, but it's tought to train that point without pigeons, because you control when they flush.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:45 pm

The one I was exposed to was so worthless as a hunting dog it was a maid in the above situation, but I realize that that dog isn't representative of the "breed".
Since it wasn't representative of the breed why bring it up? Pointing labs are a lot like a pointing dog of any breed. I will admit they are not as stylish yet but then they have just started breeding for the pointing ability in the past few years. Already you can see an improvement from where they started. But I don't quite follow the best of both worlds since all pointing dogs should retrieve upland as well as the lab and a dog can't be the best pointer and flusher both so ...................

Ezzy

ThreeBritts

Post by ThreeBritts » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:25 pm

The best Grouse dog I have ever hunted over was a Pointing Lab. The last time I hunted over her was about 13 years ago and darn did she produce for the gun.

The second best is a Gordon Setter who is now unfortunately retired. So there are some great Pointing Labs out there...and they actually have been around a long, long time. I knew several guys who had them in the 50's and 60's and when they couldn't find any good pups(because breeders in this area were breeding the point out of them) in the 70's, switched to Britts.

(Not to change the subject but the Lab died an awful, awful death from Lyme's disease it got while in Kansas. The owner was at work and couldn't get to her in time to have her put down humanely. She had blood coming out both ends. I mention this just to say I immunize mine for it, thinking, any help from them getting this disease is better than none and hope that you do as well.. Jeez I still miss her)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Gunner2292 wrote:I do, but it's tought to train that point without pigeons, because you control when they flush.
Dogs get wise to the launchers, pigeons and you being in control petty quickly. They learn that they can get close to the bird, they know the scent of the launcher, they know your scent is involved and they know it is phony. Some get very bored with the whole thing. At least for my dogs birds wild birds are exciting and they quickly teach the dog not to get too close. I do not know where your dog is on his training, but I thought fairly well along. You should control the flush if the dog points a bit off the bird and allows you to go in front.
I think we are hi jacking the OP's Thread. Can't do that......................Cj

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:01 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Since it wasn't representative of the breed why bring it up? Pointing labs are a lot like a pointing dog of any breed. I will admit they are not as stylish yet but then they have just started breeding for the pointing ability in the past few years. Already you can see an improvement from where they started. But I don't quite follow the best of both worlds since all pointing dogs should retrieve upland as well as the lab and a dog can't be the best pointer and flusher both so ...................

Ezzy
Because my complete lack of experience is relevant to what I'm asking.

Gunner55

Post by Gunner55 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:33 am

The answers are pretty much what I expected on this forum. There Is a huge preference to upland dogs from many of the members. It's not a bad thing, just something I have noticed. As far as the plumber or electrician question, I think of the Lab as a general contractor. Like the GWP they are a fantastic all around dog. With that comes trade offs. For example we (our group of friends) run GSP's for upland and Labs. There is no doubt the GSP's can run all day, where the Labs tend to get tired more. On the other hand the GSP's get left at home come winter and duck hunting season. heck, I have seen many that won't even put a toe in the water and wait for our Labs to retrieve up here in the NW. It may be different for you southern boys.

displaced_texan

Re:

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:52 am

Gunner55 wrote:The answers are pretty much what I expected on this forum. There Is a huge preference to upland dogs from many of the members.
Because the vast majority of us have upland dogs (hunting or trialing) and the majority of those are one of the pointing breeds.

Go to a lab forum and I bet you would get different answers.

Grange

Re:

Post by Grange » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:05 am

Gunner55 wrote:The answers are pretty much what I expected on this forum. There Is a huge preference to upland dogs from many of the members. It's not a bad thing, just something I have noticed. As far as the plumber or electrician question, I think of the Lab as a general contractor. Like the GWP they are a fantastic all around dog. With that comes trade offs. For example we (our group of friends) run GSP's for upland and Labs. There is no doubt the GSP's can run all day, where the Labs tend to get tired more. On the other hand the GSP's get left at home come winter and duck hunting season. heck, I have seen many that won't even put a toe in the water and wait for our Labs to retrieve up here in the NW. It may be different for you southern boys.
I think that has a lot to do with conditioning. Speed aside in many cases stamina of retrievers can be as good as pointing dogs.

deke

Re: Re:

Post by deke » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:38 am

Grange wrote:
Gunner55 wrote:The answers are pretty much what I expected on this forum. There Is a huge preference to upland dogs from many of the members. It's not a bad thing, just something I have noticed. As far as the plumber or electrician question, I think of the Lab as a general contractor. Like the GWP they are a fantastic all around dog. With that comes trade offs. For example we (our group of friends) run GSP's for upland and Labs. There is no doubt the GSP's can run all day, where the Labs tend to get tired more. On the other hand the GSP's get left at home come winter and duck hunting season. heck, I have seen many that won't even put a toe in the water and wait for our Labs to retrieve up here in the NW. It may be different for you southern boys.
I think that has a lot to do with conditioning. Speed aside in many cases stamina of retrievers can be as good as pointing dogs.

Exactly. I hunt my lab for ten days straight in SD every year. The only dog I have seen out hunt him so far is a gsp/springer mix that was 10 years old. Best $1.00 that guy ever spent.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:24 pm

I will guarantee you that a GSP will out hunt a Lab in the upland field if you are using the standard of which covers the most ground for the longest time. I will guarantee you a Lab will out retrieve a GSP in any cold water. Both are nothing we can take credit for since the breeds were bred(built) for different jobs. That is why it is a silly argument when we all knew what each breed was best at before we even bought them. And it is why I get concerned when we try to judge all dogs by one standard. And also why it is concerning when someone gets a certain breed and then tries to change them into another breed that already exists. By the way, I will also guarantee a Greyhound will beat a Beagle in a foot race but the Beagle will present more rabbits to a hunter. Just the way it was meant to happen and was not so people could argue over which is the best dog. They all are excellent at what they have been bred to do and some are also able to do some other things but not as well as the dogs bred to perform those tasks. And there are some that were bred to perform the same function but in a different manner, hence, pointers and flushers. So that comes down most often to which you enjoy most. So have at it and enjoy yourself.

Ezzy

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:02 pm

And that's the entire purpose of this discussion, so the new dog owner can figure out which will suit his needs best.

Everyone here knows that different breeds are bred for different things, we're not stupid.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I will guarantee you that a GSP will out hunt a Lab in the upland field if you are using the standard of which covers the most ground for the longest time. I will guarantee you a Lab will out retrieve a GSP in any cold water. Both are nothing we can take credit for since the breeds were bred(built) for different jobs. That is why it is a silly argument when we all knew what each breed was best at before we even bought them. And it is why I get concerned when we try to judge all dogs by one standard. And also why it is concerning when someone gets a certain breed and then tries to change them into another breed that already exists. By the way, I will also guarantee a Greyhound will beat a Beagle in a foot race but the Beagle will present more rabbits to a hunter. Just the way it was meant to happen and was not so people could argue over which is the best dog. They all are excellent at what they have been bred to do and some are also able to do some other things but not as well as the dogs bred to perform those tasks. And there are some that were bred to perform the same function but in a different manner, hence, pointers and flushers. So that comes down most often to which you enjoy most. So have at it and enjoy yourself.

Ezzy
You just did what you said you are concerned about when comparing a pointer and a flusher using a standard that favors a pointing dog and then a standard that favors retrievers. No where in my comment did I mention ground coverage. I mentioned stamina. Why would a hunter want their lab to cover as much ground as a pointing dog? I sure as heck wouldn't.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Another thing to consider, that was mentioned, is that if everyone has flushers, being the only dude in the group with a pointer does take some getting used to. I do most of my hunting alone, but when I do go with my buddies I have the only pointing dog. The extended range, speed which at he works, and then attention that we pay to him does aggravate some of my flushing pals. Usually the dogs end up working well together but there are guys that don't call me to go hunting because they simply do not like hunting behind pointers.

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Ive had that happen as well. When the dog ranges far out and you hunt behind guys who only have ever used flushers they get mad hahaa.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Gunner2292 wrote:Ive had that happen as well. When the dog ranges far out and you hunt behind guys who only have ever used flushers they get mad hahaa.
Precisely. Some days the dogs work great together and everyone loves it, and other days, when birds are harder to come by, it can be tense.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:06 pm

I have hunted for and shot birds over labs, spaniels and a few pointing breeds. The labs and the spaniels did fine and so did the pointers but not really when hunted together. My cockers are only too well aware what a point from either the Brittany or the vizsla I work is likely to mean and they make a beeline for that point. It sometimes makes the resulting flush just a bit too exciting to the detriment of the pointing dog.

I don't know about your pointing dogs but if mine have a flushing dog move in front of them to flush "their" birds too often they can become a bit less than steady on their points.

To avoid that happening I have to stop whistle my spaniels or call them in ....if I see the dog on point before they do. Would you be ready, willing and able to stop or recall your flushing dog every time the pointer points ? If not you could be in for a good number of birds being flushed outside of shotgun range.

Bill T.

ThreeBritts

Post by ThreeBritts » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:29 pm

I have not only seen the dogs become less steady on point...I've also seen fights break out.
It's great if the dogs work well together but, if not, not.

One could always get a pointing dog and just teach it to flush on command. That's what I do. You have a dog pointing a Grouse in an impenetrable tangle of briers or a Cock bird in a small patch of cattails, send in the pup and get ready! :lol:

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:02 pm

I've been hunting my lab and my english setter together for a long time and hunt both with GWP's and brittanies on a regular basis as well. The combination of a flushing dog with a pointing dog is hard to beat. My lab will honor a point or I will heel my lab and sit her away from the point while either I or my hunting partners work the point.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:45 am

I've hunted with both and killed birds with both, while neither breeds being superior to the other. Just a different style. Certain upland birds dictate which would be better to use. Flushers I find are easier to train, while pointers are a more relaxed way to hunt. I do miss the adrenaline rush when following a birdy flusher wondering where and when the birds are going to come up. However, it's hard to beat the rush of your dog on point as well.
Sixes in my book