Pointing vs. Flushing

luvthemud

Re: Pointing vs. Flushing

Post by luvthemud » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:50 pm

QuillGordon wrote:I've hunted with both and killed birds with both, while neither breeds being superior to the other. Just a different style. Certain upland birds dictate which would be better to use. Flushers I find are easier to train, while pointers are a more relaxed way to hunt. I do miss the adrenaline rush when following a birdy flusher wondering where and when the birds are going to come up. However, it's hard to beat the rush of your dog on point as well.
Sixes in my book

Pretty much sums it up! Great pics!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:01 am

QuillGordon wrote:I've hunted with both and killed birds with both, while neither breeds being superior to the other. Just a different style. Certain upland birds dictate which would be better to use. Flushers I find are easier to train, while pointers are a more relaxed way to hunt. I do miss the adrenaline rush when following a birdy flusher wondering where and when the birds are going to come up. However, it's hard to beat the rush of your dog on point as well.
Sixes in my book

In your pictures, that is chukar country. I can stand on a ridge and watch my pointer hunt a square mile. Some times straight down or up. I only move after the point is established. Priceless

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:30 am

oldbeek wrote:
Sixes in my book

In your pictures, that is chukar country. I can stand on a ridge and watch my pointer hunt a square mile. Some times straight down or up. I only move after the point is established. Priceless

I can't even fathom that lol! Someday....someday.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:18 am

I hear ya.
Of course it helps me to have a little snow on the ground so I can mak'em out

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:19 am

I'm partial to my flusher, but how could you not be - look at the handsome devil!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:09 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:I'm partial to my flusher, but how could you not be - look at the handsome devil!

Perfect example of why there is no right answer. He's a good looking dog, but I have no interest in owning a long haired dog, or a solid colored dog. We all have our preferences.

I wanna hunt behind a flusher someday.

ESS13

Post by ESS13 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Yeah we certainly try to hold our dogs to one standard and only specific dogs fit into that category. I know myself I am inexperienced so I only relate to my own experiences. I think as an inexperienced guy we want our dog to be as versatile as possible. Then later on in life I am exposed to something new and then I want the dog that can hunt that way! I am willing to bet most of us on here simply just love dogs and love to watch them work in general. I have limited pointing dog experience but I could easily get used to it! I would also love slamming some geese or ducks and watching some serious retrieves. I am foaming at the mouth just thinking about it. Depending on what day or season it is, will probably depict what I want out of my dog. I never want to leave the field so I am going to find any reason to get out into the field. What a great problem to have. That's the problem. I think if I disliked more dogs or breeds that would make things easier. I don't see that happening.