Pointing Lab Take Home Date

tannerismyhero

Pointing Lab Take Home Date

Post by tannerismyhero » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:42 pm

Hey Everyone,
I have a question that I need to ask. I am getting a pointing lab that was welped Jan 24th. I was looking thru the couple of emails I sent the breeder and realized, I forgot to ask about bring home date. MY BAD. I don't feel good about missing such a important piece (i had it in all the other emails to breeders and they were saying 7 or 8 weeks usually). Anyway, realizing that, I emailed the breeder the other day and asked if I could do March 14th. This is 49 days. I wouldn't have cared if he said wait another week. He asked if I could be there a week sooner at 6 weeks old because since I have pick of the litter, the other two families were wanting their pups at 6 weeks. I tried calling and got voice mail, but I wanted to get a couple of peoples opinion on bringing a lab home at 42 days old. To me it doesn't feel right. Am I wrong here? Again, this is a situation that I created by not asking when the bring home date is. Am I being unreasonable to the people behind me to want a pup at 7 weeks?
Thanks

Jere

Re: Pointing Lab Take Home Date

Post by Jere » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:49 pm

6 weeks is a bit young IMO.

I know a PL breeder who insists on keeping litters to 12 weeks.

I got my last pup at 8 weeks. He is a pretty independent guy so that may have been OK.

Now, OTOH, if this breeder has no substantial program for puppy development your pup would be going through, it might be best for it to just get out of there sooner rather than later!

Jere

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:39 pm

It's becoming more standard for the pups to stay within the litter until 9-10 weeks old. Nothing good comes of taking them younger. I would certainly not take a pup before 8 weeks old. It's illegal in many states to even sell puppies younger than 8 weeks old. Times are a'changin and as good breeders become better, they are starting to learn more - one of the big things is that puppies learn a lot of dog to dog socialization with their littermates from 8-10 weeks of age - they learn bite inhibition and they are MUCH easier to house/crate train when placed in homes close to 10 weeks old.

Do your own research - but I'd recommend not getting a pup from a breeder that doesn't keep them until at least 8 weeks of age (and that means keeping them with the rest of the litter during that time - not just agreeing to keep your pup until then - because then, what will the pup learn by himself?).

I got all 3 of my last pups (a Vizsla and a Pointer and a GSP, respectively - and years apart) at 10 weeks of age. Potty training was a breeze and none of them had the more typical (at least with my other pups) biting people/hands/ankles phase. They seemed more mature as well and I couldn't have bonded better with these dogs.

Remington4

Post by Remington4 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:12 pm

I took my lab home at 6 weeks.
BIG mistake. She had separation anxiety like no dog I'd seen. I would recommend taking your pup home at 8 weeks, 9 if they let you. It's important for your pup to have that time with their mother. JMO

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:29 pm

Doesn't the AKC require breeders to keep the dogs a minimum of 49 days (7 weeks)? Heard that they frown upon it if the transfer date is before that on the paperwork?

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:15 pm

It may be better to wait, but my experience with my most recent GSP is I brought her home at 6 weeks. She is one of the best dogs I'ver ever owned. Great personality, great temperment, and a heck of a bird dog. It might be an exception but that is my most recent experience.