Looking to get my first hunting dog

bdemutis

Post by bdemutis » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi I'm new here my name is Brandon. So I was finally told my parents after years of asking I can get my own dog because I never got a dog my sister and brother have dogs. So anyway I was finally told I can get a hunting dog I did a little research a few years ago and watched some videos on ducks unlimited on training and stuff. So here is what I'm leaning towards I like to duck and goose hunt mostly on the water and on the river bank or pond I also like hunting dove, pheasant and rabbit. I was thinking of getting a lab at first because when I think of a waterfowl dog I think of a lab but after doing some reading and research I'm also looking into a English springer spaniel or a German short hair or a English or Irish setter. I'm assuming all of these dogs could be trained to retrieve or flush. I'm just trying to narrow it down of which one would be the best for my needs. I'm also wondering what age I should start the training. I'm trying to get everything sorted out before I get a dog. Methods to train why use live birds instead of a dummy or decoy with scent. I just want to be prepared before I get or find a dog so I can be ready and work with it this spring and summer if possible.

mnaj_springer

Re: Looking to get my first hunting dog

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Welcome to the forum! It's wise of you to sort everything out before you get the dog.

It sounds like the majority of your time will be spent waterfowl hunting, which means you'll need a non-slip retriever, first and foremost. I would suggest a well bred lab. They are biddible and seem to fit your needs. Im partial to spaniels but most of my time is spent pheasant hunting with some ducks sprinkled in.

The GSPs and setters are pointers. Some retrieve better than others. But they are all pointers, not flushers.

Look into SmartWorks system by Evan Graham.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:35 pm

X2
Labs are the best FIRST dog one can get for hunting, imo. Lots of training help available too. Next step is to save your money - unless you are already wealthy- and pick a breeder with a good reputation. Getting a pup in the Spring makes housetraining / introduction to water easier.

Also suggest you also look at the "Retriever Training Forum"

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:22 pm

From what you wrote, there is but one dog for you, Labrador! I might even go so far as to a Botkin Spaniel, depending on where you live. Boykin's were developed as a waterfowl retriever, I thik it was s. Carolina. They called them the dog that won't rock the boat. Climate where you live, where ever that is, would make a difference to me. The other breeds you mention are mostly good breeds but you say waterfowl is your bird of choice and no upland breed is gonna stay with a retrieving breed in freezing weather for long. Closest to it would be the Wirehair.

At your point in life, you might want to just go with the lab, they are as popular as they are for a reason!

Remington4

Post by Remington4 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:24 pm

GSPs do it all.
Even fishing sometimes. If you're into that…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Lab or springer. If you do a TON of waterfowl, lean more towards the lab. If you like to dabble in all those different types of game, then go for a springer. Springers are very versatile. If ducks and geese are your main passion though, you can't beat a lab.

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:02 pm

First of all great choice on asking some of the people on this site for advice! A lot of the people who have responded consistently offer very wise insight to various concerns or questions you may have. I believe that they are likely correct in this case with the lab as a strong option to what you are looking to accomplish in the field. That being said I would highly recommend doing research in you area and finding some training clubs and watch/interact with as many dogs of various breeds as possible and their owners. I'm sure just about all of them would be happy to help out a newbie and you will learn more in those few hours about the breeds and what it takes to have a gun dog than you can in all the online videos on the internet. When it comes time to take your pup home you can start a network of people with years of experience who will become indispensable when your training regiment begins. Best of luck and don't be a stranger to the forum

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:10 pm

As others have posted, labs make great first dogs. They can be found cheap, make great pets, and are extremely capable. The fact that you are primarily a waterfowl guy makes it a no-brainer IMO.

bdemutis

Post by bdemutis » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. I'm going to look at a lab tomorrow the one that started it all recently my girlfriends family friend breeds dogs and she just had a litter of labs that are from a hunting pedigree they are chocolate labs the male stud was from Michigan and is a hunting dog. she only has 3 dogs left 2 females and one male I was leaning towards a female because it will be smaller that's one reason I was leaning towards the springer because I like to do upland and waterfowl but my mom wanted me to look at a smaller dog.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:32 pm

I've never really wanted a lab. But if I was in your shoes that's what I would want.

It would be a great retriever and would also be a good pheasant hunting companion.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:43 pm

There is a reason Pointing Lab is a thing and Retrieving GSP is not. And, good dogs are not cheap. Expect $500 for a decent Lab because of EIC and other health testing.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:07 am

Cajun Casey wrote:There is a reason Pointing Lab is a thing and Retrieving GSP is not. And, good dogs are not cheap. Expect $500 for a decent Lab because of EIC and other health testing.

GSPs don't retrieve? Or since GSPs retrieve they don't need their own lines bred for it? Confused.

And $500 IMO is cheap? In my neck of the woods $500 would get a very "decent" lab. I have friends who hunt with labs that cost less than a large bag of premium dog food and they perform just fine for the casual hunter.
Last edited by luvthemud on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:14 am

bdemutis wrote:Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. I'm going to look at a lab tomorrow the one that started it all recently my girlfriends family friend breeds dogs and she just had a litter of labs that are from a hunting pedigree they are chocolate labs the male stud was from Michigan and is a hunting dog. she only has 3 dogs left 2 females and one male I was leaning towards a female because it will be smaller that's one reason I was leaning towards the springer because I like to do upland and waterfowl but my mom wanted me to look at a smaller dog.

If it will be a house dog I think you are spot on considering a female. My last female lab went around 60 pounds and was perfect for in the house. Her brother on the other hand went about 100 pounds and had a head that would knock over the kitchen table lol!

Springers are great dogs too but for waterfowl it is tough to beat a lab.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:44 am

Bemutis, with what you described I'd say a lab would be the best bet.

Labs are great all around dogs. I'm not really a lab person, mainly because they are so big, but one of my buddies has a male lab that I would love to have. He is four years old and only 45lbs. He's a spark plug in the field. If I could get the exact dog, I would.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:02 am

bdemutis wrote:Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. I'm going to look at a lab tomorrow the one that started it all recently my girlfriends family friend breeds dogs and she just had a litter of labs that are from a hunting pedigree they are chocolate labs the male stud was from Michigan and is a hunting dog. she only has 3 dogs left 2 females and one male I was leaning towards a female because it will be smaller that's one reason I was leaning towards the springer because I like to do upland and waterfowl but my mom wanted me to look at a smaller dog.
Trust me, springers are great and if you get one with high bird drive, it'll retrieve anything. I had a male springer that was a better goose dog than my cousin's lab. But overall a lab is a safer bet for geese. But another option is a Boykin spaniel (previously mentioned). Good luck!

Oh, and when looking at dogs and puppies, leave the 'checkbook' at home until you've chosen your breed, breeder, AND the litter you're buying from.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:48 am

luvthemud wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:There is a reason Pointing Lab is a thing and Retrieving GSP is not. And, good dogs are not cheap. Expect $500 for a decent Lab because of EIC and other health testing.

GSPs don't retrieve? Or since GSPs retrieve they don't need their own lines bred for it? Confused.

And $500 IMO is cheap? In my neck of the woods $500 would get a very "decent" lab. I have friends who hunt with labs that cost less than a large bag of premium dog food and they perform just fine for the casual hunter.
She never said that GSPs don't retrieve.

There are many people who breed labs that will be excellent upland dogs. Although there are many GSPs (and other pointing breeds) that retrieve very well, as a primarily waterfowl dog (basically a dedicated retriever) no one breeds pointing dogs for that.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 am

A lab will be a great choice for you. However, you will need to look at the health clearances on these "family friend" dogs. Labs have a lot of hereditary issues that can cut short a dog's hunting career. I'm not sure what your budget is, so I won't make any assumptions. But I would not buy a lab puppy unless both parents had been tested and received a health clearance for hip dysplasia (tested, not just hearing the owner say "we haven't had any problems"). There are many other tests that a good breeder will do with their labs, however, for me, this one is the absolute minimum that must be done.

Please do your health research on any litter you are looking at. Don't get fooled by sweet brown puppy eyes and then not do your research on health issues. Don't even go look at a litter unless they do the health testing. It's worth spending the money on a pup with good health clearances in the beginning instead of paying for those issues as the dog ages poorly.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:39 am

"Girlfriends family friend" is kind of a red flag, as others have mentioned. It is very possible that friend is a "backyard breeder". Unless that family friend is a legit full blown breeder doing all the professional dog breeder stuff focusing on field bred hunting labs, including testing, it's a real crapshoot.

It's worth spending the money on a well bred dog. Trust me... my first dog as a kid was a female black lab. Great bird dog (waterfowl anyway), very family friendly, but her hips gave out at age 6 and we ended up putting her down. I was way too young to have the conversation at the time, but years later when I was getting my GWP my Dad reminded me of where he went wrong picking a breeder.

Another example, my Dad bought another chocolate lab that looks like a field bred lab but he didn't do his homework to see if the parents were bird dogs. Good thing he wasn't all that much into hunting by then... this dog is very friendly and a great house dog, but has no prey or retrieve drive at all. As kind of an experiment I conditioned the dog to gun fire and took her pheasant hunting on the preserve. No. Interest. At. All. She would just sniff around, if she would bump a bird or rabbit (purely accidentally mind you) she just looked for a second and went back to looking for turds to eat. Show her a dead bird and she would get a little spooked by it. I hobbled a pigeon for her and she ignored it. She would have made a great service dog.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:22 am

41magsnub wrote:"Girlfriends family friend" is kind of a red flag, as others have mentioned. It is very possible that friend is a "backyard breeder". Unless that family friend is a legit full blown breeder doing all the professional dog breeder stuff focusing on field bred hunting labs, including testing, it's a real crapshoot.

It's worth spending the money on a well bred dog. Trust me... my first dog as a kid was a female black lab. Great bird dog (waterfowl anyway), very family friendly, but her hips gave out at age 6 and we ended up putting her down. I was way too young to have the conversation at the time, but years later when I was getting my GWP my Dad reminded me of where he went wrong picking a breeder.

Another example, my Dad bought another chocolate lab that looks like a field bred lab but he didn't do his homework to see if the parents were bird dogs. Good thing he wasn't all that much into hunting by then... this dog is very friendly and a great house dog, but has no prey or retrieve drive at all. As kind of an experiment I conditioned the dog to gun fire and took her pheasant hunting on the preserve. No. Interest. At. All. She would just sniff around, if she would bump a bird or rabbit (purely accidentally mind you) she just looked for a second and went back to looking for turds to eat. Show her a dead bird and she would get a little spooked by it. I hobbled a pigeon for her and she ignored it. She would have made a great service dog.
There are a lot of so called backyard breeder's that raise very good dog's. The up side is that using a backyard breeder you'll get a pup for a whole lot less money. Using a professional breeder is not a guarantee you'll get a dog that performs properly for you, or that it will be free of HD. I've had a lot of dog's and most come from this thing called a backyard breeder. I've had trouble with just one, a springer. It came up with hip dysplasia at about four years. Not really bad but it was noticeable. That dog came the closest I ever came to having bad hip's. I noticed him limping now and then and had him x-rayed. Mild HD but wouldn't pass OFA.

Get something straight there are backyard breeders and backyard breeders. People that have a litter every other year or so, or just when they want a new pup, are thrown into the backyard breeder pool. Then there is the breeder that produces cheap puppy's just to sell. If you go to any breeder, go and watch the dog's work first. If you don't know what your looking for, I doubt you do, take someone with you that does.

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:39 am

I agree With Don F that you can get a good dog from a "backyard breeder", I know many people who have. However, I think there is on omission in his post; you need to know what a good hunting dog is first... What I mean is your your sisters friend may indeed have a good "bleep" and sire lined up but you need to know what that entails. Regardless of what they tell you you need to understand your basics and not take what they tell you as absolute. Being your first hunting dog I cannot stress enough the importance of contacting a professional trainer or experienced gun dog owners in your area and witnessing the ability of a well trained dog with natural drive and ability. Your first task should simply be finding a dog that you could watch hunt for days on end, then comprehending what it will take to get your dog to that point. You will realize that an average person's idea of a bird dog is often very, very different from what can be achieved through proper training and breeding.

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:53 am

You came to the right place. This is exactly where I came for my first pup (GSP). Than again I almost exclusively upland hunt with a bit of jumping stock ponds in there as well for duck. But with your consistent waterfowl hunting I would go with a good lab. If it is a backyard breeder make sure you learn about the parents and ask of any health issues they have had. Either way I hope you end up with a great dog!!!

-Shae

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:56 am

No experience with springers or cockers.
What kennels in the Ohio and Great Lakes area would be good to investigate for a pup or a started dog?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:00 pm

Remington4 wrote:GSPs do it all.
Fun pic. :) GSPs aren't for late season duck/goose hunting which it sounds like the OP enjoys.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Mountaineer wrote:No experience with springers or cockers.
What kennels in the Ohio and Great Lakes area would be good to investigate for a pup or a started dog?
Flushing Star. Best springers and cockers in the land, that's where mine's from! LOL. PM me for more info

ThreeBritts

Post by ThreeBritts » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:29 pm

Sounds to me you need a fuzzy faced dog like a Draht.

Most of them are smart as can be, were bred and built to point, retrieve both on land and in water, hunt fur, can easily handle cold wet weather, and are great pets to boot! Plus girls love them especially when they are pups!! :wink: Shorthair's a real good choice as well and boy are they pretty.

Seriously, consider not buying just any dog like the gentlemen on here have advised. Whatever you decide, just make sure that both the parents of your pup hunt,and hunt well. If possible go and see them in action for yourself or read what folks have to say about the dogs from the good reliable breeder you pick. What your buddy down the street or friend of a friend considers "hunting" may not come close to what you are expecting and it will show in the pup. (That's the voice of experience right there and man what a fiasco) I have know folks who have bought a pointing pup from the "Puppy Palace" out at the mall that were useless in the field and to tell you the truth, not all "there" in the head either. (Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here because I don't intend to)

The last thing you want for your first dog is one you have to feed for the next 10-15 years that is useless in the field. And like most things in life you get what you pay for, same can be said of dogs for the most part. If you can't afford what you want, wait until you can. You won't be sorry. Usually. :D

Best of luck.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:21 pm

And figured over the life of a dog even an "expensive" pup is just pennies a day.

bdemutis

Post by bdemutis » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:48 pm

Sharon wrote:
Remington4 wrote:GSPs do it all.
Fun pic. :) GSPs aren't for late season duck/goose hunting which it sounds like the OP enjoys.
They make neoprene dog vest for that and I really enjoy early season late season I usually try and use a boat and stay out of the water or I have my nice Cabelas northern flight waders that will make you sweat when its snowing.

bdemutis

Post by bdemutis » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:59 pm

Also I'm not a hardcore water fowler I go out here and there during the season especially when I tag out for deer I'll go hunt waterfowl or go hunt pheasant and dove. I mean yea some weeks I'll have my waterfowl obsession but then I like to dabble in walking the field and jump shooting some birds or rabbit. I like to dabble in all hunting during the season maybe even train the dog to help me get my first yote would be cool.

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:02 am

It sounds like you would like something other than a lab, and that is perfectly okay. I did the same, believe me you don't see many Britts down here, but I wanted something a little different! Look at the Draht, german wirehair, boykin, springer, or a chesapeake. The chesapeke may not be the easiest to train as your first dog, but it would make a cold winter look like a spring break trip. I have found that my hunting has gravitated far more towards upland styles as it is what my dog enjoys and is breed to excel at. The point being I never killed a woodcock, quail, or pheasant till I got her, and I might not have for years without her.. As a dog owner it is all about the dog and you come to truly love the hunting that your dog does; who doesn't like to see a dog do what he or she does best.

By the way, the GWP and Draht have some pretty awesome beards!! I'm a little partial to them

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:27 am

bdemutis wrote:Also I'm not a hardcore water fowler I go out here and there during the season especially when I tag out for deer I'll go hunt waterfowl or go hunt pheasant and dove. I mean yea some weeks I'll have my waterfowl obsession but then I like to dabble in walking the field and jump shooting some birds or rabbit. I like to dabble in all hunting during the season maybe even train the dog to help me get my first yote would be cool.
You can certainly find a dog that will do everything...

If I was in your shoes I'd think about what you want to pursue the most with your dog, and select dog that will excell at that, and be able to assist with the rest.

For instance if you really want to get into upland birds, get a versatile. If you think you'll mostly hunt waterfowl and doves I'd look hard at a lab or Chesapeake.

Another breed that could serve you well is a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:12 am

[quote="aksportsman"]By the way, the GWP and Draht have some pretty awesome beards!! I'm a little partial to them

It adds to their personality, a hard core hunter and comic.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:32 am

Also, youngster, look at personality since you've stated that your siblings have dogs - you'll want to make sure that your new pup will be able to get along well with the others in the household. It really all does come back to what you want and what you can afford. The more dogs you see in action, the more likely you are to make an informed decision. Do you have any dog training clubs in your area? Check those out...that will give you a good idea of different dogs when you see them work. It will also put you in touch with someone who can help you train this beast.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:49 am

aksportsman wrote:It sounds like you would like something other than a lab, and that is perfectly okay. I did the same, believe me you don't see many Britts down here, but I wanted something a little different! Look at the Draht, german wirehair, boykin, springer, or a chesapeake. The chesapeke may not be the easiest to train as your first dog, but it would make a cold winter look like a spring break trip. I have found that my hunting has gravitated far more towards upland styles as it is what my dog enjoys and is breed to excel at. The point being I never killed a woodcock, quail, or pheasant till I got her, and I might not have for years without her.. As a dog owner it is all about the dog and you come to truly love the hunting that your dog does; who doesn't like to see a dog do what he or she does best.

By the way, the GWP and Draht have some pretty awesome beards!! I'm a little partial to them
Those beards are nice to look at but they can empty a water bowl and spread it from wall to wall in a matter of minutes when kept in the house.

bdemutis

Post by bdemutis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:44 pm

My girlfriends dad had allot of hunting dogs growing up and we belong to a sportmans club that allot of old timers train there dogs at. Also my girlfriends uncle has a lab that he trains and hunts over with his friends chessie and then the other uncle has a English springer. I'm sure I can tag along with them or get connected through them especially since they hunt with Goey hunting calls I can talk to them guys and get some insight on things. I'm more of a versatile hunter myself and wanted something other than a lab I know German shorthair really isn't a cold weather dog but they do get along with other pets and I know from owning a cocker that they are very loving and get along great with other dogs in the house and he loves the snow especially when its deep and he was younger. I'm leaning towards a spaniel or a german pointer.

ThreeBritts

Post by ThreeBritts » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Hehe, Ezzy has it. Although, there is something kinda thrilling about getting a "kiss" from a "Bearded Lady" that's all wet. :D

Just an FYI: You know what they say about bird dog guys right? When we get together(like on a BB), "We are all here because we are not all there". :o

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:13 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
aksportsman wrote:It sounds like you would like something other than a lab, and that is perfectly okay. I did the same, believe me you don't see many Britts down here, but I wanted something a little different! Look at the Draht, german wirehair, boykin, springer, or a chesapeake. The chesapeke may not be the easiest to train as your first dog, but it would make a cold winter look like a spring break trip. I have found that my hunting has gravitated far more towards upland styles as it is what my dog enjoys and is breed to excel at. The point being I never killed a woodcock, quail, or pheasant till I got her, and I might not have for years without her.. As a dog owner it is all about the dog and you come to truly love the hunting that your dog does; who doesn't like to see a dog do what he or she does best.

Those beards are nice to look at but they can empty a water bowl and spread it from wall to wall in a matter of minutes when kept in the house.
That's the only way my kitchen floor gets mopped. Feature, not a bug.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Good advice- except I wouldn't suggest a Chessie for a first time trainer.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:00 pm

41magsnub wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Unfortunately I probably could my lab's sloppy drinking and dripping against any bearded dog. The two bearded dogs I know well are both less apt to drip all over the floor than my lab and one is actually really good at not dripping water.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Grange wrote:
41magsnub wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
Unfortunately I probably could my lab's sloppy drinking and dripping against any bearded dog. The two bearded dogs I know well are both less apt to drip all over the floor than my lab and one is actually really good at not dripping water.
Grange, it isn't something the dog can control. It is just the fact if you do not keep the beard trimmed short it drags in the water every time it drinks and then they normally shake their head to dry it. That is not a problem except the posts here are indicating they like the dogs with a full beard. All I am saying is beards and nice houses do not compliment each other.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:49 pm

bdemutis wrote:My girlfriends dad had allot of hunting dogs growing up and we belong to a sportmans club that allot of old timers train there dogs at. Also my girlfriends uncle has a lab that he trains and hunts over with his friends chessie and then the other uncle has a English springer. I'm sure I can tag along with them or get connected through them especially since they hunt with Goey hunting calls I can talk to them guys and get some insight on things. I'm more of a versatile hunter myself and wanted something other than a lab I know German shorthair really isn't a cold weather dog but they do get along with other pets and I know from owning a cocker that they are very loving and get along great with other dogs in the house and he loves the snow especially when its deep and he was younger. I'm leaning towards a spaniel or a german pointer.

Don't worry so much about all the cold weather talk surrounding GSPs. Spend $50 on a vest and the dog will stay plenty warm.

Sounds like you are now in the "pointer vs flusher" realm. There is a thread started that discusses that.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:06 pm

bdemutis wrote:My girlfriends dad had allot of hunting dogs growing up and we belong to a sportmans club that allot of old timers train there dogs at. Also my girlfriends uncle has a lab that he trains and hunts over with his friends chessie and then the other uncle has a English springer. I'm sure I can tag along with them or get connected through them especially since they hunt with Goey hunting calls I can talk to them guys and get some insight on things. I'm more of a versatile hunter myself and wanted something other than a lab I know German shorthair really isn't a cold weather dog but they do get along with other pets and I know from owning a cocker that they are very loving and get along great with other dogs in the house and he loves the snow especially when its deep and he was younger. I'm leaning towards a spaniel or a german pointer.
Well then, I'd suggest a spaniel! Best personalities, most versatile, and easy to train!

Gunner55

Post by Gunner55 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:04 pm

luvthemud wrote:

Don't worry so much about all the cold weather talk surrounding GSPs. Spend $50 on a vest and the dog will stay plenty warm.

Sounds like you are now in the "pointer vs flusher" realm. There is a thread started that discusses that.
I have seen first hand GSP's, that won't even touch the water come mid or late season up here in the NW. I don't care what vest they have on, they just are not built for cold water. They are fantastic dogs, but unless you live in the south they are a poor choice for waterfowl. Our Labs and GWP's just jump right in all day long. The same goes for the Lab's and GWP's that get full of stickers when we upland hunt in eastern WA. The GSP's come out clean as a whistle. There are pros and cons to everything.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:44 am

Gunner55 wrote:
luvthemud wrote:

I have seen first hand GSP's, that won't even touch the water come mid or late season up here in the NW. I don't care what vest they have on, they just are not built for cold water. They are fantastic dogs, but unless you live in the south they are a poor choice for waterfowl. Our Labs and GWP's just jump right in all day long. The same goes for the Lab's and GWP's that get full of stickers when we upland hunt in eastern WA. The GSP's come out clean as a whistle. There are pros and cons to everything.

For every GSP you have seen that is allergic to water, I am sure someone else can say that they have seen the opposite.

And don't discredit a proper fitting vest. A custom made vest/suit makes a huge difference over the one size fits all type that is sold in a store.

I don't disagree that there are better choices for cold weather watery environments, but it sounds to me like the OP doesn't plan on doing it enough for it to affect his decision.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:40 pm

I have a GSP and a lab, I was a lab only guy for years. I if you upland hunt food plots and smaller parcels of ground a lab will fit perfectly. However if you hunt large CRP type ground go GSP. A GSP will do everything a lab can do plus point. It takes a little more work for top notch retrieving from a GSP, but it is doable.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:56 pm

I am hearing words like MOM and GIRLFRIEND. If you are heading off to college soon get the type dog that MOM wants to take care of. Been there done that. American Brittany is a good versatile breed that is small. I had one that had a heavy coat of fur. My last one had a thin coat but still would retrieve ducks. All dogs have personalities. One GSP I had would bust Mesquite and tumble weeds until he bled. He learned to herd Chuckars like a sheep dog, but would not go into water if there was a possibility that the wind would blow the bird to bank.