my pup cracks me up

oldbeek

my pup cracks me up

Post by oldbeek » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:40 am

I have a 17 month Brittany. I am retired and we are out every day. We go out in a open jeep. She is in a crate in the back. Several times I have found coveys as I drive through the desert. I stop and drop her out on the ground. Instantly she gets scent. Now, every time we are out and I let her out of the jeep to start hunting she is sure there is a covey near and instantly goes on point and starts creeping around. She doesn't blast out and start hunting until I blow the whistle like at the beginning of a brace. She is a big running dog normally. :lol: She is very perceptive. I saw 2 quail run into some mesquite. She came charging by up wind. She was wearing a e-collar on her flank. I tapped the transmitter and she slammed to a stop. Then she smelled the birds and went on point. Now if I say whoa, or hit the flank collar, she is sure there are birds right there and again goes into the point mode. She is almost better than my grandchildren.

displaced_texan

Re: my pup cracks me up

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:52 pm

I wouldn't be fueling that behavior. I want mine hunting.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Sounds like she's just learning your behaviors and anticipating birds instead of actually hunting for them

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:03 pm

Sounds like you're having fun with your dog...not anyone else's dog.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:54 am

:D They do tend to do that :D

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:17 pm

This evening near sundown she was sitting in the front yard listening to the valley quail calling. We got the collar on for control and one blast of the whistle, she was gone. We covered 40 acres of brush in 20 minutes. The birds were running. We got 2 perfect points. 3 others flew wild before we got near them. She acknowledged the presents of one rabbit but was to busy with the quail to mess with it. Next week is another NSTRA trial. I think she is ready.