New Danners

GSP7

New Danners

Post by GSP7 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:24 am

Anyone bought the newest latest Danners lately?
Thinking of getting these 6" Pronghorns

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Danner17 ... l+Products

I see the omitted one of the lace hooks on this picture, read some complaints about it
http://www.danner.com/product/hunt/pron ... inity.html

I have a at least 10 year old pair of pronghorn that I like except the leak in wet alfalfa

Read bunch of reviews and see alot of complaints about Danners from 2-3 years ago

Are they making them better now?

mtlhdr

Re: New Danners

Post by mtlhdr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:54 am

I tried and sent the new Pronghorns back. Ridiculously large toe box and the new proprietary sole is terrible on rocks (chukar hunting) IMO. I love my made in the USA Danners but I have found that only the boots built on the 650 last fit me right. They are also expensive, and I need uninsulated goretex to cover the range of hunting we do. I started with the grouse boots but found that chukar hunting destroyed Danner's "bob" sole. Danner replaced them for free (which was awesome) but I had to buy a different pair for chukar hunting. I bought the Rainforest with the vibram sole. I wouldn't buy another boot without the vibram sole.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:59 am

If you are looking at shorter boots, maybe look at some true style hiking boots like Vasque,Keen, Asolo, Zamberlan, Salewa or Salomon.

I'm a fan of Keen and Vasque.

This review has some useful information: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Boots-Reviews

ThreeBritts

Post by ThreeBritts » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:11 pm

I had a pair about 3 years ago that were nothing short of torture. I wouldn't wear another pair of them if you gave them to me and $5 grand.

I was out on a week long hunt in Montana and even though the boots were broken in(even after being told that they were so comfy you didn't need to)at the end of each day I nearly couldn't walk. Ankles, knees were about toast.

I developed a lump on my right Achilles (that took over a year to heal), blood came from my left ankle from them so that after two days I gave up and just drove nearly 50 miles to the nearest big town to get some Muck Boots. Instant relief!!

I brought them home and burned the darn things as revenge.

I've tried nearly every boot on the planet and since Rocky quit making them here in America and the quality deteriorated. I find it better to just buy a decent pair from Cabelas and forget about the rest.

Just my $.02

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:33 pm

wow what a wild tale

MGIII

New Danners

Post by MGIII » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Hmmm I love my danner proghorns. Everyone else that I know has them loves them too.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:40 pm

Never wore the Pronghorn but have worn a Muck boot. I guess it depends on where your wearing them but my hunting is vertical so you wont catch me wearing a Muck boot hunting. I wear Danner Mtn Assault as of late in the Chuk terrain of the Great Basin. A hunting buddy wears the Danner Pronghorns and seems to like them...
Good luck with your choice

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:28 am

I have a pair of Pronghorns and a pair of Super Rainforests. The Pronghorns are just OK, the Rainforests are ridiculously wonderful boots, but at $375 a pop, they should be. The Pronghorns are not US made though, and the Rainforests are. My first pair of Rainforests lasted 14 years through pretty heavy use. The stitching had completly rotted out but the glue still held them together.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:45 am

jetjockey wrote:I have a pair of Pronghorns and a pair of Super Rainforests. The Pronghorns are just OK, the Rainforests are ridiculously wonderful boots, but at $375 a pop, they should be. The Pronghorns are not US made though, and the Rainforests are. My first pair of Rainforests lasted 14 years through pretty heavy use. The stitching had completly rotted out but the glue still held them together.

I thought I remember hearing that Danner was bringing a large portion of their manufacturing back to the states?

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:08 am

I bought a pair of Danners three years ago and I really like them comfort wise, but when I was up elk hunting this year they started leaking. I just think two years of hunting and then springing a leak is pretty poor quality I don't know that I'd go back to Danners after that.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:46 am

I've nothing good about Danners in the last few years, everyone I know how has tried them has complained about leaks after minimal use. I won't risk it now.

ThreeBritts

Post by ThreeBritts » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:48 pm

I was in Eastern Montana grasslands hunting Phes, Huns and Sharpies where it was relatively flat compared to your pic, QuillGordon.

ThreeBritts

Post by ThreeBritts » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:56 pm

GSP7 wrote:wow what a wild tale
Where I'm from...calling someone's story a "wild tale" is the next best thing to calling a man a liar. Sure hope this isn't the case.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:02 am

I assure anyone who tries them, the Rainforests won't leak. Stay away from the overseas crap and stick with the "real" Danners that are made in the USA. Danner tried to save money and they cheapened up some of their booys and had them made overseas. I'm relatively positive they did this in order to compete with the other cheaper boots. But it was done at a cost. Americans are notorious for getting sticker shock and buying the cheapest crap we can (ie Walmart), but at the end of the day, I guarantee my $375 Rainforests will cost me less per wear than the much cheaper boots.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:19 am

Danners last me a month or two in the chukar hills.

Cabelas Meindl Denalis for me!

deke

Post by deke » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:30 am

Filson uplanders. Bought mine on sale for 100.00 at the warehouse. Worst break in experience of my life, but once you get them broken in they are amazingly comfortable. I just replaced the sole, and oiled them every day.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:50 pm

deke wrote:Filson uplanders. Bought mine on sale for 100.00 at the warehouse. Worst break in experience of my life, but once you get them broken in they are amazingly comfortable. I just replaced the sole, and oiled them every day.

$100??! Wow! They retail for $400+.

ThreeBritts

Post by ThreeBritts » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:35 pm

Elkhunter wrote:Danners last me a month or two in the chukar hills.

Cabelas Meindl Denalis for me!
Yep...that's what I'm wearing as I type this. :)

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:10 pm

I saw some Vasque St Elias at a Bass pro shop few days ago when I was buying chest waders so I tried on a couple sizes. Nice boot... very comfortable had that low heel tennis shoe feel. I might consider getting those . Got some meindls coming from cabelas to try also

Vasques are made by Red Wing like Irish Setters
http://www.vasque.com/USD/product/mens- ... elug-07160

deke

Post by deke » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:13 am

rkappes wrote:
deke wrote:Filson uplanders. Bought mine on sale for 100.00 at the warehouse. Worst break in experience of my life, but once you get them broken in they are amazingly comfortable. I just replaced the sole, and oiled them every day.

$100??! Wow! They retail for $400+.

I have the Filson outlet store less than a 15 minute drive from my house, I also bought two pairs of chaps, and a pair of pants. Walked out for under two hundred including the boots.