Best outside dog breeds?

Kgrant

Best outside dog breeds?

Post by Kgrant » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi y'all I know this probably a repetitive post however I am going to ask anyway and see what answers I get. My wife is allergic to dogs and so we can not have one in the house and I know a lot of breeds do better In homes living with the family but as I stated above I don't have that option so what are some good upland breeds that can do well as a kennel dog. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

art hubbard

Re: Best outside dog breeds?

Post by art hubbard » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:41 am

I think most any breed of any hunting dog can do well as a outdoor kennel dog as long he (her) is provided with a good dog house with some kind of warm bedding. A covered kennel is a plus, and try to keep them out of the wind. Plus a premium dog food.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:35 am

My only reservation would be for the Vizsla in cold weather.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:18 am

I agree with Ezzy - a V wouldn't do well outside anyway, not just because of the cold. They are called Velcro dogs for a reason - they don't handle being alone or kenneled well. A pointer might be less inclined to get lonely - but either way, I sure wouldn't have just one dog outside all day long by itself. Many people do that but a dog is at it's very basic nature, a pack animal. If you won't (or can't in your case) be it's pack, then it needs someone else to fill that role (like a buddy). Just my opinion, but I wouldn't have a single outside dog.

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:49 am

I have English Pointers and an English Setter, and they are kenneled outside. They do just fine. I do agree that two would do better than one.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:11 am

RoostersMom wrote:I agree with Ezzy - a V wouldn't do well outside anyway, not just because of the cold. They are called Velcro dogs for a reason - they don't handle being alone or kenneled well. A pointer might be less inclined to get lonely - but either way, I sure wouldn't have just one dog outside all day long by itself. Many people do that but a dog is at it's very basic nature, a pack animal. If you won't (or can't in your case) be it's pack, then it needs someone else to fill that role (like a buddy). Just my opinion, but I wouldn't have a single outside dog.
My opinion, also. :D

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:15 am

My GWP would not be an outside dog, though that is probably mostly because of the way I raised her. She's a spoiled house dog. One day I had some guys in replacing flooring. It was summer so I blocked the dog door and left her in the fenced backyard. At work about mid day I get a call on my cell phone from the gal running a coffee stand a few blocks away, she said my dog wandered up to her so she gave the dog some water, a treat, and put her back in my yard. I got home later in the afternoon and dog was not in the yard. Opened the front door to go look for her, found her trembling on the welcome mat.

Not going to do that again. I'll have to crate her for the day if I need her contained while I'm at work.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 pm

I would look closely at whether or not you can expect a dog to work for you, learn from you, be a partner in the field if he spends no house time with you. Dogs learn all day every day ... good and bad lessons ... based on what they observe. Some may not agree, but I have enough trouble getting my dogs to learn and they spend most of their day with me. A dog that is away from you most of the time is going to take a lot longer to bond, respect, and otherwise work with you. Just sayin'.

Kgrant

Best outside dog breeds?

Post by Kgrant » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:24 pm

It's not going to be entirely outside the whole time and will definitely not be neglected it will spend probably 75 percent of the day with me fishing training hiking running etc. but the other 25 outside I just need to know what breeds do better in kennels so I can do more research thank you all for your input in really appreciate it and I totally understand what you mean Scott in wish I could have an indoor all the time dog but it's just not possible

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:52 am

Kgrant wrote:It's not going to be entirely outside the whole time and will definitely not be neglected it will spend probably 75 percent of the day with me fishing training hiking running etc. but the other 25 outside I just need to know what breeds do better in kennels so I can do more research thank you all for your input in really appreciate it and I totally understand what you mean Scott in wish I could have an indoor all the time dog but it's just not possible

I have had pointers my whole life and with one exception they have been outside dogs. They did just fine. I have had single dogs, a brace of dogs and multiple dogs with no issues outside of normal pecking order stuff, for the most part. The four I have now are doing just fine. All four have, at one time or another, garnered at least one blue ribbon in horseback field trial competition and I have foot hunted all four on preserves, so there are no performance issues relating to being outside that I can see.

It seems to me that pointers, as a breed, have a pretty definite "off" switch in the kennel. Most do not pace or get into destructive behavior(as adults) due to boredom. They just kinda "hang out" and wait for something to happen. When I step out the back door, they ramp right up and want to GO!

RayG

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:20 am

Hard to go wrong with a Labrador if your in a cool environment...

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:06 am

I have a few friends in the same situation and ironically it did not help much at all. Reasons: clothes and allergens on the hands and feet, kids playing with the dogs outside same thing, allergens on the hands and feet and clothes, also in the car.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:13 am

I have 2 sons that have problems but do OK by keeping their dogs outside. Think it is totally dependent on what specifically you are allergic to and how sensitive you really are. Seems to work for many but not all. Certainly worth a try.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:51 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
Kgrant wrote:It's not going to be entirely outside the whole time and will definitely not be neglected it will spend probably 75 percent of the day with me fishing training hiking running etc. but the other 25 outside I just need to know what breeds do better in kennels so I can do more research thank you all for your input in really appreciate it and I totally understand what you mean Scott in wish I could have an indoor all the time dog but it's just not possible

I have had pointers my whole life and with one exception they have been outside dogs. They did just fine. I have had single dogs, a brace of dogs and multiple dogs with no issues outside of normal pecking order stuff, for the most part. The four I have now are doing just fine. All four have, at one time or another, garnered at least one blue ribbon in horseback field trial competition and I have foot hunted all four on preserves, so there are no performance issues relating to being outside that I can see.

It seems to me that pointers, as a breed, have a pretty definite "off" switch in the kennel. Most do not pace or get into destructive behavior(as adults) due to boredom. They just kinda "hang out" and wait for something to happen. When I step out the back door, they ramp right up and want to GO!

RayG
I agree with this! It is all about what they are accustomed to. As far as the learning and bonding goes, as long as they are not neglected, it is a non issue. I don't have any experience with the Vizla but I trust the comments about them are correct.There should not be any problems with any of the other popular breeds.

Charlie

Kgrant

Best outside dog breeds?

Post by Kgrant » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Awesome every one thank you so much i really appreciate it all the input now it's time to start and do more research i was thinking along the lines of pointer for grouse and upland however a flusher appeals to me to I live in western Wyoming so it can get pretty cold what breeds do better in colder environments I'm open to all gun dog breeds

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:59 pm

Kgrant wrote:Awesome every one thank you so much i really appreciate it all the input now it's time to start and do more research i was thinking along the lines of pointer for grouse and upland however a flusher appeals to me to I live in western Wyoming so it can get pretty cold what breeds do better in colder environments I'm open to all gun dog breeds
If you decide on a flushing dog, I would go with a Lab, and it would take a lot for it to get too cold for them.

Charlie

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Kgrant wrote:Awesome every one thank you so much i really appreciate it all the input now it's time to start and do more research i was thinking along the lines of pointer for grouse and upland however a flusher appeals to me to I live in western Wyoming so it can get pretty cold what breeds do better in colder environments I'm open to all gun dog breeds

if you have a proper kennel setup, any breed of hunting dog should be fine. Obviously the longer haired, heavier coated dogs will do somewhat better in the colder weather, but when it is time to put the dog away for the night...they ALL need a warm place to sleep and unfrozen water to drink. The only dogs that are truly built for the outside in truly arctic weather care breeds like the Great Pyrenees,the St. Bernard or the sled dog breeds. About the only retrieving breed I can think of that might cut it in truly frigid temps is the Newfie.

I have hunted pointers in snow and sub freezing temps. They do fine. So will most short haired pointing breeds, if they are hardened to the cold. If you take a dog out of a heated house, to a heated car and then turn it loose in subfreezing field with snow and wind, it probably is not going to turn out well. As I said above, the thicker coated dogs will usually fare better, but ....

RayG