English Setter found in NE Oregon

Leeza

English Setter found in NE Oregon

Post by Leeza » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Goodlooking, young male setter located last weekend near Pendleton OR. He has a collar with Jerome ID on it and no working phone number. Anyone in southern ID out there looking for a setter lost in OR? He is listed on NE Oregon Craigslist.

Rik

Re: English Setter found in NE Oregon

Post by Rik » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Your vet will scan the pup for a microchip.Worth a try............

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:12 am

That dog was on facebook a few days ago. Hope they find the owner!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 am

I'm fostering this dog until we can either find his owner or get him in a nice new home. He's a really nice dog. Tri-color, probably 4-5 years old, unaltered, in great condition, on the smaller side (weighs about 33 lbs), has had his claws trimmed fairly recently, and very well mannered in the house. He's also really great with people, dogs, even cats. He seems to have quite a bit of training on birds as well. He was found with an orange collar with the name "Foster" on it with a Twin Falls, ID area phone number that has been disconnected and no microchip. If you know who he might belong to please have them get in touch with me. I can be reached at 54one-4eight0-76two0. You can also PM here. I'm trying everything I can think of to locate his owner. He's an awfully nice dog and I'm sure they are just sick having lost him. The plan is to keep looking for a few more days but if nothing turns up he'll get a trip to the vet for vaccines, a teeth cleaning, and neuter and then will be available for adoption. I'll try and post some photos later. Thanks for the help!

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Leeza I believe this dog was posted lost in facebook under eastern oregon pets and animals

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:13 pm

Tried everything I could think of to find this guy's owner but no dice. If you or someone you know is interested give me a shout. Again, male tri-color English setter, about 35 lbs, has had some work but would benefit from training and lots of exercise (of course). He is negative for heart worm and will come fully vetted with updated vaccines, worming, dental cleaning, and neuter. He' has nice manners and is good in the house, good with other dogs, and my cat. I will be charging a re-homing fee of $300 to reimburse my vet friend for her work. I'll try and get those photos up tonight but can easily text them if you want to contact me at the number listed in my previous post. Thanks!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:14 pm

Gertie, why not leave the decision on neutering and the other medical procedures to the person that will give the dog a home. Would be better for the dog as well as everyone's pocketbook. And that can be a factor in someone giving the dog a good home.

Ezzy

gsp-fan

Post by gsp-fan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:17 pm

Gertie - I sent you a FB message it is in your Other folder.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:13 am

Ezzy, without papers I see no point in handing over an intact dog. Just leaves the dog open to someone trying to get hold of him for irresponsible breeding. As far as the other stuff, it needs to be done and I'm in this for the dog so it will be done. It's how I choose to do it and if someone is interested then great, if not then they can look elsewhere. If someone can't afford $300 for a dog then they have no business owning a dog to begin with.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:24 am

GSP- PM sent. I didn't see a message on my FB account. Thanks for getting in touch.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:21 am

Please reconsider having any medical procedures done, at least for a month or so. This is not your dog, and you do not know if the owner is trying to locate him. For heaven's sake, it's only been a week, and even less in your custody.

While at the trainer's, during a run, my young male was picked up from a large field by a passerby who thought the dog was lost ( big running dog). The trainer searched for him, the garmin having lost contact. I also searched desperately, calling the sheriff, AC, and local vets. What an awful experience, not knowing where my dog was! Finally, days later, I got a call from a woman who tried the number on the collar - a friend of hers had my dog and was on the way to have him neutered before dropping him at a shelter. It took quite an persuasive argument to get my dog back intact.

No offense, Gertie, but it seems kind of arrogant to have a permanent procedure done to an animal that does not belong to you, even though you are kind enough to shelter him for the time being, and then assume that the cost incurred should be paid by the owner if ( hopefully) he claims his dog. Not everyone with an intact male rushes off for "irresponsible breeding".

FWIW, it's not unusual for dogs to have collars with ineffective ID, for whatever reason. Sometimes the dog has already been rehomed and the new owner hasn't got around to replacing the plate or tag ( dumb but whatever). Maybe he doesn't realize the Phone number had been changed.

Good on you for taking the poor dog in, but please don't assume the worst of his misplaced human.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:54 am

Can you find out the name of the person that the phone number used to belong to?

gsp-fan

Post by gsp-fan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:36 am

Not receiving any PM on here or able to send messages - I tried yesterday and it just disappeared.
I will try again

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:12 pm

gsp-fan wrote:Not receiving any PM on here or able to send messages - I tried yesterday and it just disappeared.
I will try again
I got it. Thanks. Wasn't the dog but was a dead ringer for him right down to the faded orange collar.
CCBIRDDOGMAN wrote:Can you find out the name of the person that the phone number used to belong to?
I ran that lead to ground already. I contacted the Sheriff's office in the county where the number was from and they were unable to find the person.

gsp-fan

Post by gsp-fan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks for letting me know. Was hoping it was.

Becassier

Post by Becassier » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Gertie wrote:Tried everything I could think of to find this guy's owner but no dice. If you or someone you know is interested give me a shout. Again, male tri-color English setter, about 35 lbs, has had some work but would benefit from training and lots of exercise (of course). He is negative for heart worm and will come fully vetted with updated vaccines, worming, dental cleaning, and neuter. He' has nice manners and is good in the house, good with other dogs, and my cat. I will be charging a re-homing fee of $300 to reimburse my vet friend for her work. I'll try and get those photos up tonight but can easily text them if you want to contact me at the number listed in my previous post. Thanks!
THANK YOU GERTIE for taking this poor boy in, and doing what's right for him!! For those of you who criticize GERTIE getting this boy vetted and neutered here is an FYI for you IF this dog were to have been in a shelter (kill) it would have been on hold for 7 days.. then up for adoption for 3 days, (which they would have neutered him also) on the fourth day it's BYE BYE.. no questions no nothing.. I work with a local non-kill shelter and my breed club just paid $300.00 to get a dog out of a KILL SHELTER in AL.. AL law says before the dog travels out its vetted and fixed.. $300.00 does not including time spent on the road to one of my friends to travel from INDY, ID to Mobile AL to pick him up then another friend to travel 4 hours so I could travel 2 hours and pick him up!!! Aprox. 875 miles traveled for "Miles" to be safe.

SHAME ON THE OWNER!!! A current ID at PETCO cost $3.00, for God sake a microchip is $45.00 plus $19.95 a year.. The owners GAVE UP their right to say what happens to him, when they did not do all they could to protect the dog.

So you think Gertie should take a non-vetted dog into his/her home with his/her dogs (I'm presuming he/she has them) let the live together when they do not know if the dog is sick. How many of you would risk your dogs to do this? Get real people.. Every dog that is dropped off at a non-kill rescue goes to a vet, gets shots, tested for heartworm etc.. BEFORE it goes into there system (heartworm treatment begins at $1,500) the rescue will wait the 7 days for the owner to show up, posting information of facebook sites and newspapers, after that they are spayed/neutered. If the owner shows up they pay a fine plus the vet bills.. Or the dog goes up for adoption which the rescue gets anywhere from $275.00 - $325.00 per dog.

For those of you who criticize Gertie you need to volunteer at your local non-kill shelter to see what they are up against.. If you don't have the "time" you should just say THANK YOU for someone who does.

THANK YOU Gertie you are a HERO!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:58 pm

I didn't see any criticism of Gertie and I think we all know how the system works. I have no idea how that has anything tro do with the suggestions several of us made. And to set your mind at ease we still like Gertie but that doesn't mean we all have to agree with each other. My concern was the extra expense that someone has to pay for and what would happen if the owner shows up the next day to claim his FC dog that some one had stolen and the dog got away from them. Lots of downside possible with little to gain.

Ezzy

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:20 pm

No need for a fuss here folks. Ezzy, I get your point and I felt bad about neutering the dog but he's been gone for at least 3 weeks and after contacting all the breeders in the region that I know, field trailers with setters I know, placing ads, and following up on any lead I got there comes a time where you just decide the best thing to do is find the guy a new home. He's fine where he is until the right situation comes along. In the meantime, a good friend of mine is a vet (also has setters) and was willing to do all the work asking that only the base cost be covered in the re-home fee. We're not an organization or anything like that but between the two of is we've placed several setters in good homes. Of course it's best to find the original owner but when that fails it's all about the dog.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Shags, I totally understand your perspective and, for the most part, agree. It's been over 3 weeks since this dog was found at a ranch in the middle of nowhere. Between myself and the nice folks that had him previously I feel that due diligence was done as far as attempting to locate the original owner. Trust me, I know how much it would suck to lose your nice dog and get him back 'altered'. However, I'm not about to adopt out an unvetted, unaltered dog without papers. That's just a bad idea. Unfortunately, however it happened, this guy was lost and in trying to do the best I can by him. Hopefully this will serve as a good reminder for us all to keep the I'd current on our dogs and get a chip. Cheap insurance for a valued pet.

Becassier

Post by Becassier » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:34 am

shags wrote:Please reconsider having any medical procedures done, at least for a month or so. This is not your dog, and you do not know if the owner is trying to locate him. For heaven's sake, it's only been a week, and even less in your custody.

While at the trainer's, during a run, my young male was picked up from a large field by a passerby who thought the dog was lost ( big running dog). The trainer searched for him, the garmin having lost contact. I also searched desperately, calling the sheriff, AC, and local vets. What an awful experience, not knowing where my dog was! Finally, days later, I got a call from a woman who tried the number on the collar - a friend of hers had my dog and was on the way to have him neutered before dropping him at a shelter. It took quite an persuasive argument to get my dog back intact.

No offense, Gertie, but it seems kind of arrogant to have a permanent procedure done to an animal that does not belong to you, even though you are kind enough to shelter him for the time being, and then assume that the cost incurred should be paid by the owner if ( hopefully) he claims his dog. Not everyone with an intact male rushes off for "irresponsible breeding".

FWIW, it's not unusual for dogs to have collars with ineffective ID, for whatever reason. Sometimes the dog has already been rehomed and the new owner hasn't got around to replacing the plate or tag ( dumb but whatever). Maybe he doesn't realize the Phone number had been changed.

Good on you for taking the poor dog in, but please don't assume the worst of his misplaced human.

"I didn't see any criticism of Gertie and I think we all know how the system works. I have no idea how that has anything tro do with the suggestions several of us made. And to set your mind at ease we still like Gertie but that doesn't mean we all have to agree with each other. My concern was the extra expense that someone has to pay for and what would happen if the owner shows up the next day to claim his FC dog that some one had stolen and the dog got away from them. Lots of downside possible with little to gain.

Ezzy"

Sorry, this statement written by "sags", calling Gertie "arrogant" rubbed me the wrong way after a long day and this is a subject that is very close to my heart. I have been in Gertie's shoes many times, now I choose to work with a rescue that will help me get dogs out of kill shelters and into a safe place. Shelters in the south are full of EP's, ES and other pointing breeds without any ID and they will be put down after their hold.

I am in daily contact with people that do not know how the system works.. not here to battle with you.. just to point out a different view.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:16 am

Thank you Gertie for doing the best you can with this lost dog. I hope he finds a great home. I understand your perspective but wanted to give mine, as an owner of a dog that was picked up as a stray although he is chipped and had an ID collar as well as a GPS collar. To have found him on his car ride to an 'altered state' was pure luck.

Becassier, calm down. We all understand about rescues and kill shelters. Some of us have have given homes to rescue dogs ( my family has had two unadoptable elderly rescue setters). Try to think about the other side...what if YOUR field champion dog was picked up by some stranger and was scuttled off to surgery?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:48 am

I too have rehomed many dogs over the years but I never considered neutering as part of the procedure. Several were neutered by the new owners but most weren't and I don't know of a single case where it caused a problem. I am convinced we all have been brained washed by the PETA organization into thinking a litter of unwanted puppies is evidence enough to neuter every animal in the world. Few people though realize there are so few unwanted litters in this country due to responsible owners that many of our shelters are now importing dogs and pups from S. America and Europe so they have enough dogs to sell. In other words demand is outpacing supply but the serious thing is that reproduction has been made the chief concern of people owning dogs and all based on a false assumption. The animal's health is not even considered, but this follows PETA's philosophy of having a pet is a form of animal credulity and needs to be prohibited.

Again I will say, this is not about Gertie or anyone else but my concerns are about the dog and the misconstrued fact about neutering.

Ezzy

k2k

Post by k2k » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:30 pm

"Few people though realize there are so few unwanted litters in this country due to responsible owners that many of our shelters are now importing dogs and pups from S. America and Europe so they have enough dogs to sell."

What? Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post?

I just got done fostering 2 puppies who were too small to be neutered and adopted from our local shelter. They finally weighed enough to be neutered (the anesthesia is the tricky part for such small dogs) and placed Thursday before last, I had one for a month. The second one, whom I had for a little over a week, was given up by the "person who had the litter" because they decided they didn't want him after all.

I've only fostered 11-12 pups in the last 3 years, due to the fact that there are plenty of people in this area who are aligned with our shelter and willing to foster.

And for the record, I am as anti-PETA as anyone can be.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:45 pm

Thought y'all might like to know how things turned out. This story has a happy ending. After a lot of posting, advertising, etc., etc. a couple from Jerome, ID confirmed that they had found the dog way back in Dec. and had tracked down the original owner. Turns out that the original owner had dumped the dog at some point after getting him back after some sort of issue with law enforcement (never could get a straight story but he sounds like a real piece of work). Anyway, he was not interested in getting the dog back. However, the couple that found him back in Dec. really loved this dog and the gentleman is an avid bird hunter with two aging bird dogs and they were more than happy to give him a home. They drove up on Friday and picked him up and that dog was so excited to see that guy. It's nice to know he'll be taken care of and he and his new owner will have lots of good hunting years together.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Wonderful and really happy you waited before doing all of the stuff you had planned. Have seen these things turn out like this too many times to ever start altering the dog.

Good job Gertie.

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Well done Gertie!

I had a microchipped dog stolen once. Never saw him again. I wish vets would check for chips on all new client dogs. More stolen dogs might get found.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:38 pm

Was actually just thinking about this today. Glad the dog found a good home.

nyhusker95

Post by nyhusker95 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:17 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Wonderful and really happy you waited before doing all of the stuff you had planned. Have seen these things turn out like this too many times to ever start altering the dog.

Good job Gertie.

Ezzy
Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but i don't think this is accuarate based on:
Gertie wrote: However, I'm not about to adopt out an unvetted, unaltered dog without papers. That's just a bad idea. Unfortunately, however it happened, this guy was lost and in trying to do the best I can by him. Hopefully this will serve as a good reminder for us all to keep the I'd current on our dogs and get a chip. Cheap insurance for a valued pet.
It sounds like Gertie went above and beyond to try and get this dog to the "rightful" owner and turns out he did find the right owner. It just wasn't the original owner. I say great job in persevering and finding this dog a great home. Well done.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:43 am

Sharon wrote:Well done Gertie!

I had a microchipped dog stolen once. Never saw him again. I wish vets would check for chips on all new client dogs. More stolen dogs might get found.
How T.F. do you steal someone's dog? Cripes.

Great job Gertie!

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:00 am

Way to stick with it Gertie. That was a lot of effort you put in. It's great to see the dog going to someone he knew. Had to have made it all worth while when you saw the dog get excited to see the new owners again. The poor guy has been through enough. That's a good distance from Pendleton OR to Jerome ID. Did the original owner dump him twice?

Greg J.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:55 pm

greg jacobs wrote:Way to stick with it Gertie. That was a lot of effort you put in. It's great to see the dog going to someone he knew. Had to have made it all worth while when you saw the dog get excited to see the new owners again. The poor guy has been through enough. That's a good distance from Pendleton OR to Jerome ID. Did the original owner dump him twice?

Greg J.
Apparently the original owner claims to have lost him the first time (although he was found with no i.d., no gps or e-collar and was in the absolute middle of nowhere) and I still haven't gotten a straight story on the second. The only reason the dog was re-claimed the first time is because someone he knows recognized the dog in a Craig's list ad placed by the people who found him. He made no attempt to advertise that he lost the dog anywhere that I have been able to find, didn't contact any of the local shelters, nothing. In fact, he told the people that found him that he had to abandon the search for him because he had a birthday party to get to :roll: The second time he was found with the same collar on that the folks who found him the first time put on him while they had him and no other identification. Again he made no attempt to advertise, contact shelters, etc. I tracked down the folks who found him the first time and they tried to get in touch with him and that's where the story gets weird, but ya, it sounds like he dumped the dog. I got a little background on this guy and he sounds shady at best and an all out crook/scumbag at the worst. Glad the dog isn't his anymore.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:59 pm

nice job and I'm glad it turned out for the best.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:02 pm

People can be the absolute worst - see dogs previous owner

or People can be pretty dang awesome -see gertie and dogs new owner.

Glad this story has a happy ending for the dog or maybe that should be a happy new beginning.