Johnny House Damaged

mm

Johnny House Damaged

Post by mm » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:10 pm

[attachment=0]damaged johny house.jpg[/attachment]So I have some land that I am allowed to use to train on. In exchange for using it I try to keep people off and stop any dumping and maintain the fence. Well someone got in and damaged my Johnny house and let all my birds go. I think I could repair it but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on how I can make it vandal resistant. Or how I could build a new one better to prevent damage.
mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NEhomer

Re: Johnny House Damaged

Post by NEhomer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:55 pm

I'd replace it and hide a game camera nearby.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:19 am

electric fence. and a game camera.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:22 am

Claymore mine's!

Jere

Post by Jere » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:41 am

Also post the place against trespass clearly in accord with the applicable laws of the state. Then, with your pictures report the trespass and vandalism to the police hoping they'll make a case or at least help identify the person(s) responsible. You may be able to seek damages in small claims court.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:08 am

I'd definitely have a game cam up. Wouldn't want to be the poor bugger that gets caught on it

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:34 pm

electric fence.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:53 pm

is there any chance it could have been a bear, or dogs? I see your location is long island, probably aren't any bears out there, right?

mm

Post by mm » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:18 am

I wish it was a bear I could shoot him. I have trespasser problems all the time. I don't own this property or live on it. It is fenced and the fence is cut weekly. It is about 50 acres and it is hard to pinpoint a time or day of the break ins. We have had a truck or something destroy the gate and have had some dumping. I caught the dumper and that has stopped. The atv guys are harder to catch they cut the fence and ride and are gone. This winter with the snow there were lots of kids in there with sleds. The property is fenced and posted but this does not seem to mean anything. I am sure this bird house destruction is drunken kids sometimes they are there at night and they make fires and break whatever is there. I tried game cameras but they are hard to hide and believe me if they see them they will steel them or break them. I am thinking of cementing in four posts and building out of 3/4 plywood so it wont be so easy to destroy. I am sure if its to much work to destroy they wont do it. But the wire mesh and funnel will be a week spot.

Any construction sugestions
mm

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:03 am

No construction suggestions but I have a constructive suggestion....move off of Long Island!

Sorry for the joke but man, what a drag that you have to deal with all of that.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:54 am

I would take Four 4x4 post's & sink them in the ground . Take turkey wire I think it's called ? 1x2 inch stuff 4ft high . Keep up off the ground a foot . Just out of reach of johnny house to save on material cost. Leave one side open so when the "rats" come to enter on there destructive mission. You can strategically place an I/R trail cam in the wood pile. Hidden.
Big bait catch's big rat :D

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:09 pm

Not sure the game camera will do you much good, you seem to live in a fairly populated area so getting a picture of some random person likely won't do much good unless you post the pictures around town and really try to hunt them down only to be able to tell them stay away... I just don't see that option getting you far when if they find the camera you are losing about 100$ and you may not even be able to find them. I'd put up more serious signs around the property threatening legal action and advertising video/cameras on the property (without actually putting any out) to trespassers, and reinforce the fencing. If you are aware of specific atv trails drive in posts like others mentioned. I don't know if id do this, and I how you feel about this, but down here trespassing is very common and I've heard of landowners resorting to drastic measures, ie tire strips on atv trails. I understand the point but wouldn't feel good about leaving that out there when there are kids or dogs around. that being said perhaps someone on here can offer a more practical option.

mister2

Post by mister2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Sorry can't help you. You couldn't build something tamper proof enough for those type of people. I have permission to hunt a place with similar trespassing and vandalism problems and all I can say is don't leave anything of value. Yes very unfortunate indeed.

Like aksportsman said, Dont bother with the trail cam because you will be out $100 also.

mister2

Post by mister2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:36 pm

The owner of the property I mentioned has a couple of old barns on the property where he stores old jeeps, t-birds and other antique toys. He was forever replacing broken barn windows and doors. He reported the vandalism so many times that now the law enforcement actually started keeping an eye on the place for suspicious activity. You may want to try and convince the owner to go that route. Another idea is to talk to neighboring landowners, they may be having the same issues and collectively you might find a better solution. Good luck.