hunting poodle

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:01 pm

My last post in this thread, call and talk to Rich (super nice guy) he breeds top shelf labs and standards. If you tell him what your intentions are and he sells you a dog I will forever keep my piehole shut on this kind of topic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429657255.947556.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mnaj_springer

Re: hunting poodle

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:14 pm

1gundog wrote:Thanks manj springer for validating my point. Is the op gonna breed 80 labs and 11 poodles to perfect a healthy hunting dog? No! Let's get a craigslist poodle, Bobs block head lab and make some money.
First of all, the point I made is that cross breeding is recently in the history of your new PP. That point was made to counter your purebred elitist attitude. But, even people who breed purebred, registered dogs can breed dogs of poor health/breeding (so I don't know why you made that point). On the other hand, I believe the OP is breeding healthy dogs, from the sounds of it.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:48 pm

1gundog wrote:My last post in this thread, call and talk to Rich (super nice guy) he breeds top shelf labs and standards. If you tell him what your intentions are and he sells you a dog I will forever keep my piehole shut on this kind of topic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429657255.947556.jpg

foofoo dogs.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:40 pm

luvthemud wrote:

foofoo dogs.
??? He actually breeds them to hunt. I'm confused at your post

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:51 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:
luvthemud wrote:

foofoo dogs.
??? He actually breeds them to hunt. I'm confused at your post

It was sarcasm. The person that posted the link to the really nice guy who breeds hunting poodles was whining thebpost before about people who breed hunting poodles. The term he used was foofoo dogs. Extremely contradictory and quite amusing.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, i have a friend with a labradoodle. The pedigrees of the parents are quite impressive and the dog is also. Dont know where he got it from, but i know it was quite a drive to wherever. Foofoo never crossed my mind when I was watching break ice to retrieve a late season duck. Does great in the pheasant field as well.

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:22 pm

Listen lover of the mud don't quote me when you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I wasn't whining about a "bleep" thing. Work on your comprehension skills before you quote somebody. Now we know why you agree with labradoodles. (Your buddy has one).
Apparently you didn't take the time to read this thread from the first post. I won't explain it you wouldn't get it.
I'm a pure breed elitist because I don't believe in making mutts for a buck OK then lol.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:53 pm

1gundog wrote:Listen lover of the mud don't quote me when you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I wasn't whining about a "bleep" thing. Work on your comprehension skills before you quote somebody. Now we know why you agree with labradoodles. (Your buddy has one).
Apparently you didn't take the time to read this thread from the first post. I won't explain it you wouldn't get it.
I'm a pure breed elitist because I don't believe in making mutts for a buck OK then lol.
I am going to suggest you expand your vocabulary so we don't see Bleeps in every post. And maybe try to respond to people with out calling them names. We would like to hear your thoughts about dogs and not about the people posting.

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:13 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
I am going to suggest you expand your vocabulary so we don't see Bleeps in every post. And maybe try to respond to people with out calling them names. We would like to hear your thoughts about dogs and not about the people posting.
I didn't call anybody a name so you expand your reading and comprehension. I'm called a purebred elitist and a whiner but you say I'm the one calling names lol. Is this bizarro world or what?

I think my thoughts on cross breeding dogs is clear.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:39 pm

1gundog wrote:Listen lover of the mud don't quote me when you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I wasn't whining about a "bleep" thing.
Might this qualify to what I suggested or am I not able to qualify in reading and comprehension. And might I add if you don't want to be quoted, don't post. That is the only way you can control it.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 pm

1gundog wrote:Listen lover of the mud don't quote me when you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I wasn't whining about a "bleep" thing. Work on your comprehension skills before you quote somebody. Now we know why you agree with labradoodles. (Your buddy has one).

I can read just fine. Have read every post multiple times and I still come to the same conclusion.

And yes, a friend of mine has a labradoodle. Lab guy for 30 years but was sick of the shedding in the house. Was told that labradoodles "don't shed and are hypoallergenic". I don't think that is the case, at least with 1st generations as he says it does shed. Either way, it is a hard hunting, smart, and good looking dog IMO and is great with the kids.

With all that said. It is just another breed to me. I couldn't care less what two owners of two different breeds decide to do. Nobody is forcing me to buy one, and at this point I don't see a danger in either of the contributing breeds (poodle, lab, golden) being degraded. Even if I wouldn't have seen a labradoodle first hand I still would find your posts extremely amusing and worthy of a sarcastic reply.

Enjoy your new pudlepointer. I have heard nothing but great things about them.

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:45 am

Seems like I walked into a room filled with liberals and they're all drinking from a big keg of kool aid.
Where the heck is the exit!

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:59 am

1gundog wrote:My last post in this thread
:roll:

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:13 am

1gundog wrote:Seems like I walked into a room filled with liberals and they're all drinking from a big keg of kool aid.
Yes. Those "bleep" liberals are encouraging an individual to do as he wishes with his own property, even if it's just to make money! They are so awful for defending the rights of a property owner!

A true conservative should encourage more restriction and regulation, like you!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:40 am

1gundog wrote:Seems like I walked into a room filled with liberals and they're all drinking from a big keg of kool aid.
The liberal philosophy is everyone should do like I do. It is the conservative idea that people should have the freedom to make their own decisions. But it does sound like you walked in o a room where some people aren't listening to you.

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:35 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429709704.423902.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:11 am

1gundog wrote:
in that case, that definitely will be your last post on the topic! :wink: :wink: :D sorry ezzy, I couldn't resist. Probably gonna have to lock this one. I apologize for opening such a can of worms.

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 am

And yes I know standards, my girl Shasta
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429720460.929953.jpg

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:42 am

Demand creates the need for supply. I think some have gotten their panties in a wad..... too funny that.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:10 pm

legallyblonde wrote:My biggest problem with it is I don't see it being developed as a breed. I only see F1 crosses. That's not development of a breed--there's no defined purpose, function, type, size, or really any goal to breed towards. Modern day breeds began as crosses with a purpose. I think the public is being misled on this cross because it is not hypoallergenic, there's no predictability as to type or behavior as there is with an established breed, and most of the time there is absolutely no health testing done on the parents nor any care to the quality or temperament of the parents, only crossing the two breeds. Don't get me wrong, I am not at all opposed to new breeds being developed but that's not at all what this is--it's a fad. I sure have not seen or heard of any retrieving any ducks. Even the "creator" of the labradoodles has expressed regret over doing so:
Simply as a point of information, there are breeders whose aim is to create a new "breed" they call an Australian Labradoodle. There is a breed club with stud books, pedigrees, rules for in-crossing foundation breeds (specifically poodles), breed-standards, and aims (like maximizing the hypoallergenic poodle side of the gene pool).

The breed club is critical of F1 crosses (and they have reasons, including financial one, for doing so). The originator of the Australian Labradoodle has spoken publicly against what he started, calling it a "failure," but others are carrying on in an attempt to create a mutigenerational breeding plan that standardizes the Australian Labradoodle and they hope leads to eventual recognition as a distinct breed (as opposed to a cross-breed). I don't know that this is a good idea, or a bad idea, but I know there are breeders working towards that goal. They don't approve of the F1 crosses on the grounds of their leading to unstable and unpredictable results.

I have no dog in the fight.

Bill

http://www.australianlabradoodleclub.us/

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:57 pm

dog dr wrote:
1gundog wrote:
in that case, that definitely will be your last post on the topic! :wink: :wink: :D sorry ezzy, I couldn't resist. Probably gonna have to lock this one. I apologize for opening such a can of worms.
Not a problem. I too am not a fan of people producing cross-breeds on purpose but can understand it when breeding for a purpose and you do it responsibly. Some people share my position but just haven't found a way to express it in a reasonable manner. I had thoughts of deleting but then thought it was kind of funny, had thoughts of locking but didn't want to do it because of one individual so we will wait and see if the rest can handle stating their thoughts in a reasonable manner.

Ezzy

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:43 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
dog dr wrote:
1gundog wrote:
Not a problem. I too am not a fan of people producing cross-breeds on purpose but can understand it when breeding for a purpose and you do it responsibly. Some people share my position but just haven't found a way to express it in a reasonable manner. I had thoughts of deleting but then thought it was kind of funny, had thoughts of locking but didn't want to do it because of one individual so we will wait and see if the rest can handle stating their thoughts in a reasonable manner.

Ezzy
My thinking is along the same lines as yours Ezzy. I'm not a fan of crossing dogs just because the cross is in fashion, but also feel the need to admit that the breeds we recognize now were created by purposeful cross-breeding with intent in the past. It makes for a bit of a conundrum to support or condemn breed-crosses as a general rule when what is responsible breeding and what isn't can be hard to judge.

Someone wanting to start with good lines (for example) is a plus, but being satisfied with F1 "crosses" strikes me as a major negative.

Bill

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:58 pm

There's a gal in my neck of the woods who has multiple F1 litters per year, sells pups for $2500 a piece, has dozens on a waiting list and overwhelmingly satisfied customers (from what I can tell) all with a purchase "contract" you wouldn't believe (down to specifying grain-free or raw diet with receipts). Draw your own conclusions from this but there are plenty of folks who have no problem with this arrangement.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:03 pm

mtlhdr wrote:There's a gal in my neck of the woods who has multiple F1 litters per year, sells pups for $2500 a piece, has dozens on a waiting list and overwhelmingly satisfied customers (from what I can tell) all with a purchase "contract" you wouldn't believe (down to specifying grain-free or raw diet with receipts). Draw your own conclusions from this but there are plenty of folks who have no problem with this arrangement.
The old saying there's a "seat for every "bleep"" still hold true.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:41 am

In terms of breeding crosses simply for pets, the interesting thing is that with the cancer issue in goldens or boxers, health issues in many other breeds, from the animal welfare perspective healthy crosses certainly aren't worse. Without a thoughtful breeder, though, you don't get from a cute cross to something more. Since pet owners generally are going to want good pet traits, meaning "big" hair, low energy, and particularly lack of desire to eat the family guinea pig, and either large size or small size, a lot of breeding a good pet should work against breeding a good hunting dog.

In terms of a dog for hunting, it seems to me a Labradoodle should end up similar to a WPG or a stout GWP. An obvious difference might be no point and so looking for a retriever/flusher. I doubt the coat would stay "hypoallergenic" in this case, though. http://killararidge.com/service_and_hun ... ting-dogs/ This breeder was an interesting Google result. Some of the text about importing "highest quality lines from Australia" is a little funny to me, but whatever. Their photo gallery even links to this video http://hphcdr.com/haley-s-hunts.html/ of a Doodle retrieving.

For me, it will be interesting to see whether people stay with the attempt to create a true breed after the fad moves on, and if so if some breeders to carve out a niche for dogs with either a hunting focus, or dogs selected to be service dogs for that matter.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:43 am

on a couple of other forums there have been postings for pups from accidental breedings - one was a setter/lab the other a GSP/setter. I believe the pups were either sold on the cheap or given away, but a number of the gents who got the pups have high hopes for them. I will be quite interested, a year from now, to find out how those pups are working out, especially the lab/setter pup - which trait become dominant

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Nutmeg247 wrote:
In terms of a dog for hunting, it seems to me a Labradoodle should end up similar to a WPG or a stout GWP. An obvious difference might be no point and so looking for a retriever/flusher. I doubt the coat would stay "hypoallergenic" in this case, though. http://killararidge.com/service_and_hun ... ting-dogs/ This breeder was an interesting Google result. Some of the text about importing "highest quality lines from Australia" is a little funny to me, but whatever. Their photo gallery even links to this video http://hphcdr.com/haley-s-hunts.html/ of a Doodle retrieving.
The picture on the bottom of that page with the pheasants is exactly what my buddy's dog looks like, albeit a different color.

$2,600 for a pup. Crazy, but as mentioned, there seems to be no shortage of people wanting to buy them.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Yeah, my aunt bought a labradoodle a couple of years ago. Paid over $2000 for it. Perfectly nice dog, high maintenance coat though. Does shed some, but nowhere near the level of a lab. I'm not going to tell her she shouldn't have done that after the fact.

The dog has a lot of prey drive and is very biddable, I think she would make a passable flushing dog, other than the nightmare of her coat out in the field.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:26 pm

$2000 for a mutt.... wow

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:32 pm

Down here on the farm, we use a dog bred from a Ausie dingo wild dog to herd our cows :) Who woulda thunk it?

Young guys so full of testosterone :) argueing over what another wishes to do. Sounds kinda dictatorial to me.

I just laff and go my way these days when some dunder head trys to tell me how to do something. Life is way to short to even waste one minute listening to their chatter.

Doc, have fun and enjoy life. That is what is important. For the nay sayers, well get a clue. The door is over there, dont let it hit you in the rear.......... is how I handle people that are oh so negative....

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:06 pm

The OP started this thread over frustrations of trying to purchase a poodle from hunting bloodline without a restriction. If you're intentions are to crossbreed the dog the pups aren't going to be registered anyway so why does it matter. My point was no breeder of hunting poodles is going to sell a pup for that purpose. No breeder with integrity would. I'm the new guy here so I guess I'm not suppose to have a strong opposing opinion. To the fellas getting upset with my opinions which I clearly stated was just my opinions. I could care less if someone wants to breed spider monkeys to a bichon.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:15 pm

1gundog wrote:Dictatorial is being a voice of opposition and having your opinion censured by admins.

The OP started this thread over frustrations of trying to purchase a poodle from hunting bloodline without a restriction. If you're intentions are to crossbreed the dog the pups aren't going to be registered anyway so why does it matter. My point was no breeder of hunting poodles is going to sell a pup for that purpose. No breeder with integrity would. I'm the new guy here so I guess I'm not suppose to have a strong opposing opinion. To the fellas getting upset with my opinions which I clearly stated was just my opinions. I could care less if someone wants to breed spider monkeys to a bichon.
Having your post censured by the admins. when it is full of bleeps is an act of kindness since it is stated in the rules that bad language will not be tolerated. And sometimes posts are deleted when the poster did not say a word but just quoted a post already up and showed a picture very similar to one he had already posted.

Ezzy

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:16 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how this is going to effect you in any way. If folks are cross breeding how does it create any issues with you and what you are doing? I am all for freedom, this is America isnt it?

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:41 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429994508.141955.jpg

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:41 am

Well that explains nothing. Best go tell your mom folks are picking on you....

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Thu May 28, 2015 5:44 am

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu May 28, 2015 7:22 am

His regret is that these dogs became popular and people started breeding irresponsibility to feed the growing demand in the pet market. That happens to purebred dogs (see Irish Setter and American Cocker Spaniel) too, so I'm not sure what the point of posting that article, a month after the thread died, was.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu May 28, 2015 8:32 am

41magsnub wrote:The last breeder I worked with included a limited registration with the dog, for $100 more they would provide a full registration. Still galls a bit, but is a lot better than a flat "no". I only got the limited, then didn't even follow up on that since I spayed the dog and don't test or trial.
As I understand it, that is not kosher with AKC. The registration papers are supposed to go with the pup! Think I'd ask AKC about it.

I read about poodle's years ago and they were said to originally be water dog's. Used to send messages from one ship to another, short range of course. That was the reason for the poodle clip, protect the joints from cold water. Don't know for sure that true but made a good story!

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Fri May 29, 2015 8:17 am

DonF wrote:
41magsnub wrote:The last breeder I worked with included a limited registration with the dog, for $100 more they would provide a full registration. Still galls a bit, but is a lot better than a flat "no". I only got the limited, then didn't even follow up on that since I spayed the dog and don't test or trial.
As I understand it, that is not kosher with AKC. The registration papers are supposed to go with the pup! Think I'd ask AKC about it.
Well, they included (and even filled out for me) the limited registration paperwork which I never submitted. I could of had the dog AKC registered with the restriction on breeding. So, I don't think there was anything massively unethical about it. What I didn't like was the decision to allow a full registration and breeding was a monetary one rather than for the good of the breed.