hunting poodle

dog dr

hunting poodle

Post by dog dr » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Im looking for a hunting standard poodle breeder, preferably in the midwest. Suggestions?

Aslowhiteguy

Re: hunting poodle

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:11 pm

I'm just curious as to what you'll be hunting with a poodle. Ducks?
I know they are good retrievers but that's about all I know of the breed.
I thought you had meant pudel pointer and mistyped.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:39 pm

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:27 am

Aslowhiteguy wrote:I'm just curious as to what you'll be hunting with a poodle. Ducks?
I know they are good retrievers but that's about all I know of the breed.
I thought you had meant pudel pointer and mistyped.
My wife raises golden rtrievers, and has had a lot of potential clients express an interest in a goldendoodle. Wouldnt have to be a hunting line poodle, i just feel like the dogs from a "hunting" line are a little more attentive/intelligent, and make better dogs.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:57 am

Postby CDN_Cocker » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:39 pm
http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/

http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/
When I visit sites such as these, it makes me wish I were younger and had enough years left to try a "different" dog. They look like a lot of fun

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Biggest problem im running into is the whole "limited registration" thing. And all these breeders have 3 pages of "puppy applications", with all kinds of crazy rules you have to follow after you by the dog. Sheesh, do you want to sell me a dog or dont you?!

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:28 pm

A friend of mine has a labradoodle and it is a very good dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:49 pm

dog dr wrote:Biggest problem im running into is the whole "limited registration" thing. And all these breeders have 3 pages of "puppy applications", with all kinds of crazy rules you have to follow after you by the dog. Sheesh, do you want to sell me a dog or dont you?!
Always seemed ridiculous to me so I just refuse to deal with them. Luckily my birds, cars, and trucks are all mine once I pay for them but dogs and wives seem to come with instructions. I think if you went to court you would find those contracts are almost useless.

Ezzy

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:48 am

The last breeder I worked with included a limited registration with the dog, for $100 more they would provide a full registration. Still galls a bit, but is a lot better than a flat "no". I only got the limited, then didn't even follow up on that since I spayed the dog and don't test or trial.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
dog dr wrote:Biggest problem im running into is the whole "limited registration" thing. And all these breeders have 3 pages of "puppy applications", with all kinds of crazy rules you have to follow after you by the dog. Sheesh, do you want to sell me a dog or dont you?!
Always seemed ridiculous to me so I just refuse to deal with them. Luckily my birds, cars, and trucks are all mine once I pay for them but dogs and wives seem to come with instructions. I think if you went to court you would find those contracts are almost useless.

Ezzy
You wouldn't win in Court and most likely would not find a Lawyer to try it. Those "contracts" are there to protect the breeder and their money that they invested. Like it or not but you don't make money by breeding your Cars or Trucks.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:52 pm

They are as useless as used toilet paper unless you want to spend more then it's worth!! I wouldn't buy from anyone having any kind of contract even just using their kennel name,nor would I sell to any one asking for one.
I have no worries as & will probably never purchase another dog I have enough & can breed my own if I choose to have more. :wink:

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:01 pm

dog dr wrote:My wife raises golden rtrievers, and has had a lot of potential clients express an interest in a goldendoodle. Wouldnt have to be a hunting line poodle, i just feel like the dogs from a "hunting" line are a little more attentive/intelligent, and make better dogs.
So you're looking to get a poodle to start a "golden doodle" breeding program? Or am I inferring the wrong reason (and that is a very wrong reason) for your wanting a hunting poodle?

MG

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:14 pm

But Uncle Si really liked his!

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:17 pm

I'd like to know if there are lines of hunting poodles. I have never heard of any.

Could you imagine the looks you'd get if you showed up to a hunt test with a poodle? And how would you feel if you lost to a poodle?

With that said, a neighbor of mine has a goldendoodle. I am not a fan of 'designer breeds,' but that dog is as good with kids as any dog I've ever seen.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:23 pm

crackerd wrote:
dog dr wrote:My wife raises golden rtrievers, and has had a lot of potential clients express an interest in a goldendoodle. Wouldnt have to be a hunting line poodle, i just feel like the dogs from a "hunting" line are a little more attentive/intelligent, and make better dogs.
So you're looking to get a poodle to start a "golden doodle" breeding program? Or am I inferring the wrong reason (and that is a very wrong reason) for your wanting a hunting poodle?

MG
I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms that will probably lead to this thread being locked, but... I wouldn't call it a breeding program by any means (we only have a litter every 12-18 months), but please enlighten me on why this is such a bad idea?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:15 am

I missed the crossbreeding designer mutts... i think the useful part of this thread is now long behind us

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:50 am

All breeds started as cross bred designer mutts and it is still happening..............Cj

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Yup, thought from the start that mutting up a breed was the OP's intent.

whiteguy, you don't "lose" hunt tests, you pass or fail. And there are quite a few poodles that have passed them at the master level. Wouldn't think it to behoove any of their owners to sell the dogdr a puppy for his purposes.

MG

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Yup, thought from the start that mutting up a breed was the OP's intent.

... And there are quite a few poodles that have passed them at the master level. Wouldn't think it to behoove any of their owners to sell the dogdr a puppy for his purposes.

Do you post that with your pinky held up? And what would be wrong with a labradoodle from hunting stock? (Aside from your disdain for the breed)

Elmer

Post by Elmer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:41 pm

...or a golden that doesn't shed enough fur for four dogs twice a year?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:52 am

MNTonester wrote:And what would be wrong with a labradoodle from hunting stock? (Aside from your disdain for the breed)
Its not a breed, its a cross.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:38 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I missed the crossbreeding designer mutts... i think the useful part of this thread is now long behind us
+1
Sigh.

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:49 am

dog dr wrote:
crackerd wrote:

MG
I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms that will probably lead to this thread being locked, but... I wouldn't call it a breeding program by any means (we only have a litter every 12-18 months), but please enlighten me on why this is such a bad idea?
THIS is why the poodle breeders sell dogs on limited registration and I can't say that I blame them. Not that it necessarily prevents breeding for these cross-bred dogs since no respectable registry "registers" them anyhow.

And yes there definitely are hunting line poodles; it's not all that uncommon to see them running in HRC tests. It's what they were originally bred to do. Standard poodles are in the Gun Dog group in UKC as they should be.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:43 am

If I were younger, I'd be into breeding those Goldendoodles or Labradoodles purely for the money. I would breed only very adept dog's to each other. I think it would be a lot of fun to develop that particular cross. I've seen several and I love the dog's. I am trying to talk my daughter into doing it for the extra money. Those pups go for $2,500.00 each and many of the breeders are so booked up they'll take no future orders. That's $20,000.00 a litter. Nice little hobby if you had a couple of good females.

I don't think there is a thing wrong with trying to develop a new breed as long as it's done responsibly, which admittedly right now, it is not. That would be the fun of it all.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:11 am

b
legallyblonde wrote:
THIS is why the poodle breeders sell dogs on limited registration and I can't say that I blame them. Not that it necessarily prevents breeding for these cross-bred dogs since no respectable registry "registers" them anyhow.

And yes there definitely are hunting line poodles; it's not all that uncommon to see them running in HRC tests. It's what they were originally bred to do. Standard poodles are in the Gun Dog group in UKC as they should be.
Again, thanks for being patient with this ezzy. Im not really sure why im wasting my time asking this question, but... Exactly what is unethical, immoral, deceitful, or just plain wrong with responsibly breeding 2 dogs to create a puppy that there is demand for? We already have 4 people on a waiting list. We OFA our dogs, and like I said, have only had 4 litters over the last 6-7 yrs. I guess I understand wanting to protect your "genetics" to a degree, and to that end I have no problem with breeders charging what they feel their genetics are worth. I also understand the whole "too many unwanted dogs that end up in shelters" argument. Trust me, Im the rabies administrator for our county, and so I get to euthanize some of those dogs. But our last 3 litters were all spoken for almost prior to being born, and definitely prior to being weaned. We're not trying to create a new breed, we're fully aware that the pups will be crossbred. As somebody already said, all modern dog breeds are crosses of something that came before. They were all created as a result of man controlling breeding to get an animal that served their purpose or desire. So far nobody has been able to give me a well thought out, fact based opinion on why this is something to look down their nose at.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:43 am

It's your dogs. If you wanna breed a golden to a poodle then go for it man. I know I would if that's what I wanted. And the people that are against it won't buy one or will never have one. You won't have to bother with them. Just my opinion. If you do or don't breed them won't have any affect on me buddy. I say go for it if that's what your after.

Mike

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:08 am

My biggest problem with it is I don't see it being developed as a breed. I only see F1 crosses. That's not development of a breed--there's no defined purpose, function, type, size, or really any goal to breed towards. Modern day breeds began as crosses with a purpose. I think the public is being misled on this cross because it is not hypoallergenic, there's no predictability as to type or behavior as there is with an established breed, and most of the time there is absolutely no health testing done on the parents nor any care to the quality or temperament of the parents, only crossing the two breeds. Don't get me wrong, I am not at all opposed to new breeds being developed but that's not at all what this is--it's a fad. I sure have not seen or heard of any retrieving any ducks. Even the "creator" of the labradoodles has expressed regret over doing so:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ca ... s-creation

nyhusker95

Post by nyhusker95 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:04 am

Not long ago (approximately 100 yrs now) the Boykin was a crossbreed and we know how that turned out. It wasn't recognized by the AKC until circa 2009. It is considered by many to be THE best hunting dog around. Why can't this cross produce similar results?

Poodles are great family dogs and are as smart as they come. I would consider one as a hunting companion but for the grooming issues. Retrievers are also great but she'd way too much for my liking. Somehow mixed together both issues seem to be resolved. If this cross produces good hunting stock there's people who will want them.

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:46 pm

Is the poodle still a hunting dog in France? Would it be possible to go there and buy a pup with hunting genetics?

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:22 pm

bigoak wrote:Is the poodle still a hunting dog in France? Would it be possible to go there and buy a pup with hunting genetics?
That is a good idea. Might be able to get some semen shipped?

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:36 pm

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:41 pm

fuzznut wrote:what a deal.... who needs a job?
https://www.teddybeargoldendoodles.com/ ... w-it-works
$650.00 to crate train for a week? Some people have more dollars than sense.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:42 am

Aslowhiteguy wrote:
fuzznut wrote:what a deal.... who needs a job?
https://www.teddybeargoldendoodles.com/ ... w-it-works
$650.00 to crate train for a week? Some people have more dollars than sense.
The hourly rate on that is really good, to say the least.

I'd think a breeding program focused on hunting doodles would end up selecting for characteristics that would be disfavored by the pet market?

There is one doodle in particular here that's very physical and athletic and likes to retrieve where I've thought it's a shame that the owners don't give it a chance to hunt. But, one of the two owners is a bit put off by the energy of the dog, and certainly it's still got a lot of coat to clean.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:15 am

Hey Doc, find the hunting stud you want, ask about doing a breeding, then show up with your dog :) might just get it done that way. or explain what you are looking for. Not just a couch potato but a working mix dog. Good luck to you

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:11 pm

markj wrote:Hey Doc, find the hunting stud you want, ask about doing a breeding, then show up with your dog :) might just get it done that way. or explain what you are looking for. Not just a couch potato but a working mix dog. Good luck to you
thanks, I appreciate that. Fortunately, we found a female out of a retriever tested red male with full registration at a reasonable price.. PLUS, we didn't have to fill out a 6 page questionnaire and take a quiz about poodle grooming!!

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:11 pm

My wife came home with a standard poodle years ago. The dog was not a hunter but he would retrieve birds. One day he chased a rabbit into a half acre of cockle burr's ,It took three hours to clean him up!

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:08 am

Why would anyone with half a brain trash up a poodle with lab or golden genes.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:16 am

Why would anyone with half a brain trash up a poodle with lab or golden genes.
Why would anyone take an old Spanish pointer and breed trash into it and come up with the GSP?

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:27 pm

markj wrote: Why would anyone take an old Spanish pointer and breed trash into it and come up with the GSP?
Hearsay

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:46 pm

1gundog wrote:
markj wrote: Why would anyone take an old Spanish pointer and breed trash into it and come up with the GSP?
Hearsay
or the English Pointer and a lot of other breeds.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:44 am

1gundog wrote:
Hearsay
Well I got this book......

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:45 am

1gundog wrote:Why would anyone with half a brain trash up a poodle with lab or golden genes.
Or the Doberman, bred down from the Rottweiler by Herr Doberman........

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:52 pm

1gundog wrote:Blah blah blah, breeding a "bleep" eater to a poodle so it doesn't shed is not developing a new breed it's selling house dogs to apartment dwellers or the like.
Im really getting a kick out of this! Your right, its not creating a new breed. And that's not what we're trying to do. As I said before, we know theyre crossbred dogs, and so do the buyers. But that's what they want, so why not give it to them? Again, please give me a well thought out, fact based reason why that's wrong. Every modern dog breed we have now was the result of somebody crossing 2 or more existing breeds to produce a dog that had certain characteristics they wanted, hunting dogs or not.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:07 pm

What's difference between breeding 'doodles' or whatever, and breeding French Bulldogs, Shi Tzus, or Dalmations? They're all pets/housedogs that are making someone happy. Just because they don't have a 'use' doesn't make them worthless.

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Maybe someone on Pinterest can give you guys the answer you're wanting to hear. Crossbreed all the shitzus and frenchfried bulldogs you want. I have my opinions you have yours. This is gundog.com not foofoodog.com

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:36 pm

1gundog wrote:Maybe someone on Pinterest can give you guys the answer you're wanting to hear. Crossbreed all the shitzus and frenchfried bulldogs you want. I have my opinions you have yours. This is gundog.com not foofoodog.com
Now THATS a well thought out, fact based opinion if I ever heard one! :wink: :wink: But in all seriousness, didn't you recently post something about picking up your new PP pup (poodlepointer)??

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:58 pm

Pudelpointer yes and if you think a pudelpointer and labradoodle share any similarities you are def on the wrong forum my friend.

Edit: you're on the right forum I just don't think the topic fits. But again that's just my opinion.
Last edited by 1gundog on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:13 pm

"The first cross of the Pudel and an English Pointer to establish the new breed took place in Germany in 1881."

I found this at pcna.org.

"Since the Pudel proved to be the stronger breed in passing its genes, many more Pointers were introduced into the breeding program to arrive at the breed, as it is known today. During the first 30 years, only 11 Pudels were used against well over 80 Pointers. From then on, only occasional re-introductions of Pointers were undertaken, especially after the two World Wars severely depleted the breeding stock."

This was also on the site. So within the last century EP x PP crosses were allowed.

The point being.... you don't have much of a leg to stand on here.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:20 pm

1gundog wrote:Pudelpointer yes and if you think a pudelpointer and labradoodle share any similarities you are def on the wrong forum my friend.

Edit: you're on the right forum I just don't think the topic fits. But again that's just my opinion.
Better stop while you are only so far behind.

1gundog

hunting poodle

Post by 1gundog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks manj springer for validating my point. Is the op gonna breed 80 labs and 11 poodles to perfect a healthy hunting dog? No! Let's get a craigslist poodle, Bobs block head lab and make some money.